Packing for a 5 night cruise and extra day... In a carry on suitcase?????

rene194215

I can't say that I've ever seen sunscreen in any of the Florida airports, either.

Well that would be a missed opportunity IMO. Lots of people flying with carry ons only so items like sunscreen and shampoo and conditioner would be great to have available. I have certainly seen it in airports in the south.

Well that would be a missed opportunity IMO. Lots of people flying with carry ons only so items like sunscreen and shampoo and conditioner would be great to have available. I have certainly seen it in airports in the south.

Most people simply stop at a CVS or Walgreens to pick those items up if they aren't traveling with them.

Then you haven't looked. And as said before, they sell sunscreen on the ship and in every port.

The more we travel (land based or cruise), the lighter our luggage gets. It's quite amazing, especially since DH and I are considerably larger sizes than we were 15 years ago. . .

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Edited by jkgourmet

Leaving next Monday on a TA and 11 days in Spain. Just a carry on and backpack. Did the same last year on a 17 day TA. Did 6 weeks in Viet Nam six l years ago and since have never taken more than a carry on. Choose leggings, flimsy fabrics and it's amazing what you can put in those suitcases. I've given a number of show and tell talks to groups that like to travel. You can do it!

Most people simply stop at a CVS or Walgreens to pick those items up if they aren't traveling with them.

That's true. I do love using my time wisely in the airport so purchasing sunscreen and wine While inbetween flights would be real convienient.

That's true. I do love using my time wisely in the airport so purchasing sunscreen and wine While inbetween flights would be real convienient.

Most connections don't allow for this type of time these days. I had a 25 minute connection at EWR last week that I barely made, let alone stopping to shop.

:rolleyes:

There is absolutely no way I could do 5 days in the Caribbean with only 3oz of sunscreen. 3oz may get you to your first port, but plan on allocating some budget and time for buying sunscreen.

Fingers crossed that your flights and connections are all on time, but you are seriously going to be cutting it close!

The more I thought about it I believe you are correct about 3 oz not being enough. I normally use the continuous spray and a bottle lasts me for a whole week. But thats only using it a few times. I have taning oil (before anyone flames me for this, I know what the sun can so to the skin, but I like to get a nice tan in the summer since I am so pale) 3 oz of this will work, I will just have to buy a full size sunscreen in FL. I am planning on being in the sun each day so thats 6 days in a row. Also, I have to get aloe becasue I always miss some part of me!:rolleyes:

I usually pack one larger suitcase, because we get free luggage with our airline. But, I have packed for a 5 night cruise, with two additional days in Ft. Lauderdale (plus flying days) in a carry-on when we were on a different airline, traveling with 7 kids, and unwilling to pay luggage fees for 9!

You just have to do a little planning. I definitely down-sized my shoes; I only had 3 pair along; my comfy Merrell sandals, one dressy pair of black heels my walking shoes, which I wore on the plane. I also wore a cardigan sweater and a light jacket on the plane, so I didn't have to pack them. My husband sometimes wears his blazer on the plane to save suitcase room.

For day a couple of swim suits and a cover up, 2-3 pairs of shorts or capris and at least one tee for each day worked. I had room for two cocktail type dresses for the formal nights; I choose ones that pack easily. Bring one pair of black slacks, or a black skirt, and 2-3 cute tops for the other nights. You can leave the dresses home if you pack sparkly tops to wear with the black bottoms. Try to avoid packing those 'what if' clothes that are so tempting. Of course, normal amounts of underwear, etc.

I brought small sizes of almost all toiletries and brought less than normal. I don't really need four lipsticks or multiple eye shadows--want, maybe, but not need. We got there late two days before the cruise, so we had a whole day before sailing. I bought large sunscreen bottles there.

As to the wine, we rarely drink, so I guess that is where you have to make your decisions. We never bring any, and especially not with all those kids to keep track of. It wouldn't be worth checking a bag in your circumstances to me--not for the $25 but for the chance that your bag might not get there on time, given your short time frame. but that's your decision. I'd make a stop on the way to the ship for sunscreen and wine, if needed.

It's not as hard as you'd think if you can give up the mindset that you need something different for every day and venue and pack neutral bottoms that can be paired with different tops.

Since my first cruise (7 night) I had a big suit case, my small suit case and 2 actual carry ons.:eek: It was bad! I realized that-

A. WAY too much stuff. I took clothes for the am, change for swimsuit, dinner outfit and then a change for evening into shorts and tank.:rolleyes: Brought back a lot of clean clothes....

B. I scoured these boards for what I NEED to bring. I packed it. More the half I never used. And as each cruise went by I brought less and less. I am hoping I can get away with a nice pair of white shorts and nice top a night or 2 in the MDR??

I pick neutral colors (black/beige) and build from there with a few bright tops that can mix and match with slacks, capris or shorts. I carry one pair of dressy slacks and two sparkly tops for the two formal nights. One pair of dressy sandals for the formal nights. Black sandals, brown sandals that can go to the dining room or out by the pool. One t-shirt dress that can go from pool to a tour or the dining room on casual night. I pack plenty of panties, but I can wash a pair out at night and they are dry by morning. Bras will wash and dry overnight too. I just use the sink. I splurge and use the middle of the week wash and fold (on RCCL), usually just so I don't go home with dirty clothes. I use some of the knit fabric that takes up no room, lightweight and doesn't wrinkle for dinner slacks and a couple of the tops. Sunscreen in travel sizes work great. Bare minerals make-up doesn't count as a liquid. That gives me room for my shampoo and conditioner and toothpaste. I wear a sweater or jacket onto the plane that does double duty at night when it's cool in the air conditioning. I have a black "sweater" that is practically out of gauze and doesn't take up any room or wrinkle. One pair of the shoes (heaviest) are worn onto the plane. I have a sandwich baggie with my jewelry tucked into a corner. That will take me through a 7-day cruise and a pre-night before the cruise...during the summer. A cruise during the winter would be a different story for me.

I have definatly adjusted my check list with what I am bringing and that inclueds a lot of what you have mentioned here. I only bring conditioner as my hair needs it. I dont mind the shampoo in the bathroom. I have a special mouthwash I use that doubles as toothpaste. I most definatly will be wearing a sweatshirt and a sweater on the plane as I am always cold. Shoes, :o I admit I always over pack but I have found that I only wear 1 pair of neutral flip flops in port and then a comphy pair of sandel/heel type shoe for dinner. I can always change out of those into comphy sandles? I am thinking 4 pairs, includes sneakers for the plane.

That's a lot of stress over a $25 baggage fee.

My concerns regarding baggage would include our bags not getting to our destination if we check them and not being able to pack enough liquids and creams including enough of my faviorite shampoo and conditioner and lotions and sunscreen if we only use carry ons. DH wears button down shirts for dinner so wrinkled clothes are another concern.

The day that my biggest reason for using carry on luggage is the $25 baggage fee would be the day that I have a serious chat with my accountant.:D

Its not nessesarily the cost. I have checked luggage at 35 a pop x2. So 140 round trip. But that was flying in the day before. As time went on and others posted I realized that a layover on the day of the cruise...better to take the carryon. I can afford to do it. I mean either way I will spend money. Looking at checking luggage (25) and buying sunscreen and aloe on board or in port roughly the same price. Its about the same I would think.

In 15+ cruises, ranging from 4 days to 21 days, usually with an extra 2-7 days pre or post cruise, we've only checked luggage twice. Once for a 21 day cruise plus 7 day land trip in January in the Mediterranean - the heavy sweaters too up so much room. One other time for 19 day HAL cruise where I packed too much formal wear and too many shoes and had to check a garment bag. Never again.

No more checked luggage for us. EVER. It's amazing how much you can fit into a bag if you buy the proper things and pack it properly. Rolling clothes is far better than folding. Buy toiletries before you hit the ship. Leave the vodka and cranberry juice at home (for many reasons!)

And these Packing Cubes are marvelous! http://amzn.to/1fHcCF7

Do these packing cubes make a big difference? I dont need my things to be organized, I will unpack as soon as I get to my room. But to they actually help in fitting the most in your luggage as possible?

If her flight runs late she can opt not to stop. If she has time to stop - she can get her drinks and sunscreen. Since it is only a 5 night cruise she should not have to do a lot of laundry. One skirt or dressy slacks will be ok even on formal night. As long as she does not need a lot of shoes a carryon and a 'personal' item should be enough for 5 nights.

I have read threads about people wearing the same pants or shorts a few times during the week. I have normally been the type that if I wear it for even say an hour, it went to the laundry. I am actually getting better with wearing things more than once (as long as its clean obviously:rolleyes:)

The ship does. Or buy it in port.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

I know on my last cruise, I was able to buy aloe on board becasue somehow I missed a spot applying my sunscreen, Now I had a very good base, but that sun can be crazy strong. I think it was somewhere around $12.00. Obviously would be less at home but when its needed:rolleyes:

An idea---

Carryon your necessary items that you'll need for the whole cruise.

Check thru a cheap bag/box that has your wants and what ifs ---extra sunscreen, your wine etc

If the plane is late leave the bag/box at the airport.

In theory this sounds like a good idea, but then I think, ok how much am I going to spend on a bag, I need to pad it since there would be wine and sunscreen. If it would not make it there that would be a waste of $25 for checking the bag, $17 ish for sunscreen and aloe, money for bag, items used for padding and the actual wine. Thats around $75 down the drain.

If it did get there then well that would be great! But I think I would rather not chance it and just carry my stuff. IMHO

I posted on the FL departures forum and asked about transportation from the airport to the port. Taxi is 25+ tip If you have them stop its even more. Shuttle is 12+ tip but it was said that people will more then likely not want to stop for someone. Plus it was mentioned that there really is no place along the route from the airport to the port to really stop.:(

:eek:

Leaving next Monday on a TA and 11 days in Spain. Just a carry on and backpack. Did the same last year on a 17 day TA. Did 6 weeks in Viet Nam six l years ago and since have never taken more than a carry on. Choose leggings, flimsy fabrics and it's amazing what you can put in those suitcases. I've given a number of show and tell talks to groups that like to travel. You can do it!

Flimsy fabrics are the perfect answer!! I realized this when I purchased a flimsy top recently and it took up almost no space and is sooo light!!!!:D

I do have a 40 min layover, but that can vary if the first plane is early/late and if the next plane is early/late. My first flight is at 6am and I know I will not eat before so I am ganna have to try to grab something in between. Once I did that and by the time I got to the gate, they were boarding already:eek: But if time allows that would be the perfect solution!!!!

I thank everyone for thier input on this subject! I know some of my responces might have been like "thanks but no thanks" As I mentioned in another post, since my original question, I have realized its just better to have a carry on and not check the luggage. I mean I have never had a problem before (knock on wood) but you never know. I would rather be safer then sorry. I always take so much junk that I never use, this will hopfully help me cut that. I have a feeling my bookbag will be the source of the junk and the suitcase will be all I actually need! :rolleyes::cool:

Thank you to everyone.. I honestly do appreciate everyones input on this!

I always plan out what I'll wear every day so I don't bring more clothes than I need. You can deviate once you're there, but I find it helpful, especially because I try to plan it so every top can be worn with my jeans and tucked into a skirt--giving me two different outfits per shirt. I bring 1-2 scarves to mix up outfits even more. Basically everything does double duty or more.

Because I was wearing hiking outfits during the day, the clothes I wore on the ship at night didn't get that dirty, so it was easy to reuse them. Plus if you really need to, you can hand wash in your sink.

I agree with what others said about googling rolling. I roll my clothes to put in my suitcase and it sometimes feels like I can fit an unlimited amount of stuff! Eagle Creek makes stuff to make packing more efficient, but they're not necessary.

July 2012 ~ Celebrity Infinity ~ Alaska

and pretty much every cruise has had toothpaste in the room.

:rolleyes:

Sorry to interrupt the flow of advice, but I just have to ask -- what type of cabin have you been sailing in on Carnival that has toothpaste in the cabin? I have never, ever seen toothpaste in the cabin on my cruises -- I must be sailing in the wrong sort of cabin! All I've ever seen is shampoo, conditioner, lotion and a shower cap.

Regarding packing the carry-on -- does it really matter to you that you wear different clothes every day? If not, you're set! As long as you aren't getting hot and sweaty, you certainly can wear the same two or three tops and bottoms (skirts, shorts, whatever) and two dresses with change-ups of jewelery, scarves, etc. on a 7-night cruise. Except for your traveling companion(s), if you have them, and they probably won't care as long as they are traveling with YOU ;), no one, and I mean NO ONE will notice what you are wearing, and unless you are in traditional dining you won't see the same people twice (and even if you did, they are strangers and who cares whether they notice a sartorial repetition?) Packing a carry-on bag isn't too hard for the Caribbean -- imagine how difficult it must be for Alaska, for example!

The key phrase is the one you yourself mentioned in your first post: "I have always packed a large suitcase. And then proceeded to not use everything." (emphasis mine) If you can remember what is is you have used, just bring that!

Did you get any Onboard Credits for this cruise? If so, count that as your wine purchase (though perhaps a little pricier, it is paid for already by someone else) and don't bother with trying to stop to buy bottles... just a thought...

Packing a carry-on bag isn't too hard for the Caribbean -- imagine how difficult it must be for Alaska, for example!

I did a 7-day Alaska cruise and a few days in Seattle with a carry-on. It's definitely possible!

Sorry to interrupt the flow of advice, but I just have to ask -- what type of cabin have you been sailing in on Carnival that has toothpaste in the cabin? I have never, ever seen toothpaste in the cabin on my cruises -- I must be sailing in the wrong sort of cabin! All I've ever seen is shampoo, conditioner, lotion and a shower cap.

About the tooth paste, every cruise I have been on, there has been at least 1 small travel size tube in the little basket of goodies in the bathroom. I know those free samples are subject to change or not be there:eek: Just one less thing... And if its not there, then my mouthwash actually cover brushing as with toothpaste and is a mouthwash.

I did a 7-day Alaska cruise and a few days in Seattle with a carry-on. It's definitely possible!

We too did our Alaska cruise with pretty much only carry-ons. My two sons packed in Speedo swim bags (they hold a ton!) my dh and I each had one carryon and only one checked rolling garment bag for formal night- for all of us! Still didn't wear everything!

About the tooth paste, every cruise I have been on, there has been at least 1 small travel size tube in the little basket of goodies in the bathroom. I know those free samples are subject to change or not be there:eek: Just one less thing... And if its not there, then my mouthwash actually cover brushing as with toothpaste and is a mouthwash.

Huh...like I said, never seen that...but wish I had! It must be a Carnival perk I should have asked about when I sailed on Fascination. Will do so in the future!

I have cruised on three different lines and the only time there has been toothpaste was in the suites on DCL, and I'm not even sure it was in the first one. We had the Royal on RCCL--no toothpaste. Same thing with the luxury ship Wind Surf. I think CCL has some sort if deal cut with the manufacturers that they get the samples for free to introduce them to guests, because there doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason to what each passenger gets. I've read a few people who got conditioner but no shampoo or makeup remover even though it was all guys in the cabin.

I found a couple of pictures with the bowls of freebies in the bathrooms. One was oceanview on the Valor and the other was inside cabin on the Paradise. There has been a bowl in each cabin I have been on:confused:

Pictures did not post... I am going to try again...

Edited by rene194215

They look like exactly what I thought, manufacturers samples left over from various marketing promotions. I'd put money on it that CCL either buys them for pennies or is given them for free.

Carnival has a small bowl of samples that changes all the time. Last year we did a B2B on the Conquest, different cabins. Not only was some of the items different one basket was overflowing with mutliples of them.

Always had toothpaste samples but the brand does change.

They look like exactly what I thought, manufacturers samples left over from various marketing promotions. I'd put money on it that CCL either buys them for pennies or is given them for free.

I can see Carnival charging the companies for the promotion space. We've received toothpaste, deodorant, mouthwash, shampoo, conditioner, lotions, nasal strips, Pepcid, etc. Once other pax received Harlequin-type romance novels, lol.