Packing for a 5 night cruise and extra day... In a carry on suitcase?????

rene194215

HELP!!! Ok so any cruise I have been on, from 4 night to 7 night I have always packed a large suitcase. And then proceeded to not use everything. I need help in what I should bring as far as clothing goes. And also if anyone has any tips and tricks to get the most into that suitcase!

Additional info- I am flying in day of the cruise and I get into Tampa at 1044am. I am told I would be in port before 12. I am good with that. My issue is checking luggage. First, I would have to pay. Second, I would have to wait for my luggage. Also, there is a lay over:eek:

I do have some cons thought. I wanted to bring a bottle of wine, some rum, cranberry and pineapple juice. I guess I would have the taxi stop somewhere but I am not guerenteed that I would be able to find what I want. Plus the wine is not readily available. I think that paying the $25 for the checked bag may be better though now that I think about it.

Ideas? Thoughts? sorry is this is so scater brained... :rolleyes: I guess I am thinking as I type.....

Four threads from the Fashion and Beauty Board:D

It can be done, especially if you do not take swim fins.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2011190

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1687293

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2013781

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2013995

Enjoy the wine before or after the cruise. Buy the other stuff on the way to port or buy from Bon Voyage.

ETA-- Murphy's Law states that the chance your luggage being last off the plane is inveresly related to how much time you have to make it to the ship.

Edited by SadieN

I have never done it but I would love to try! I think it would be pretty straight forward. This would depend on your itinerary and what you intend to do in port. I find that sea days, for the most part, are bathing suits and cover ups in the day. Evenings I would do a combo of dresses and dress pants with lots of interchangeable tops. Use the toiletries provided for the shower and the in-cabin hair dryer. Shoes can be flip flops, day sandals and 1-2 pair of evening shoes. That really doesn't take into consideration your alcohol add-ons though. I day go for it and enjoy!

At a minimum I would pay to check a bag going down. You will be limited on any liquids in your carry on. Seeing as you have a Florida departure you are going to need sunscreen! Buying sunscreen on the ship is expensive. I would skip the expensive wine, there is just no way that I would risk having wine break in my checked bag.

You don't seem new to cruising, have you verified that your cruise line allows you to bring on hard liquors such as rum. Very few allow that.

My husband and I just got off a 10 day cruise. We each had a carry on size suitcase. They fit through the x-ray machine when you board. We have done 14 day cruises and B2Bs with them.

My husband only takes 2 or 3 pairs of pants- who is going to realize he wore them even the night before? He takes shirts for each day & each night.

I only take my sandals for day time , white and dark heels for evening. But I take something for each night. I put on my bathing suit when I get up and use cover-ups for days at sea. For port days my bathing suit still goes on 1st. I have tankareenies (SP) so use that as my top with shorts. I bring too many shirts and only

3, maybe 4 pairs, of shorts. But we still bring home things we didn't wear!

Edited by Bonnie J.

Flying in the day of the cruise, with a layover--NO WAY would I check a bag. I'd be too afraid it wouldn't make it. If the only "real" reason you're checking a bag is for a specific bottle of wine, I'd say make a taxi stop at a local wine shop (provided there is no flight delay and you have time to do it) and ask for recommendations for something new to try. (based on what your "special" wine is like). With a carry on suitcase and a tote type bag, you should be able to carry what you need (provided you get toiletries once you land). If you are ok with paying $25 and possibly not getting your suitcase with wine, liquor (which may get confiscated anyway) and clothes is ok with you-I'd check it. Personally-I'd make what I need fit into the carry ons. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by newbiecruiser09

At a minimum I would pay to check a bag going down. You will be limited on any liquids in your carry on. Seeing as you have a Florida departure you are going to need sunscreen! Buying sunscreen on the ship is expensive. I would skip the expensive wine, there is just no way that I would risk having wine break in my checked bag.

You don't seem new to cruising, have you verified that your cruise line allows you to bring on hard liquors such as rum. Very few allow that.

You brought up something I forgot ALL about!! SUNSCREEN!!!:eek: I will burn if I do not have it! I know I have seen 3 oz sunscreen spray so I may have to look into that! (Oh and as far as the rum, I am sneaky. I only did this once but I am on a bit of a budget this time around. I have rum runners that I used. I don't need tons of rum, but in the end its better to have your luggage then some drinks is this situation)

From what everyone has said so far, it seems better to just do the carry on. I wish my flights were the other way around. I am flying Southwest direct to Hartford and no baggage fee. Oh well. It is better to be safe then sorry. I just need to really be careful with what I will bring.:eek: I mean 5 nights is 5 dresses, 2 bathing suits as I plan on lazing in the sun. A few cover ups and flip flops and prob 1 pair of neutral dress shoes.

I feel like I am stressing this a bit too much. I mean my parents are going on the Breeze for a 8 night next month and they plan on carryon size suitcases! :o

You brought up something I forgot ALL about!! SUNSCREEN!!!:eek: I will burn if I do not have it! I know I have seen 3 oz sunscreen spray so I may have to look into that! (Oh and as far as the rum, I am sneaky. I only did this once but I am on a bit of a budget this time around. I have rum runners that I used. I don't need tons of rum, but in the end its better to have your luggage then some drinks is this situation)

From what everyone has said so far, it seems better to just do the carry on. I wish my flights were the other way around. I am flying Southwest direct to Hartford and no baggage fee. Oh well. It is better to be safe then sorry. I just need to really be careful with what I will bring.:eek: I mean 5 nights is 5 dresses, 2 bathing suits as I plan on lazing in the sun. A few cover ups and flip flops and prob 1 pair of neutral dress shoes.

I feel like I am stressing this a bit too much. I mean my parents are going on the Breeze for a 8 night next month and they plan on carryon size suitcases! :o

5 dresses? Nice capris and tops work also. 1 pair of strappy sandals for capris or dress, flip flops for pool. Mix and match. Sundress for a cover up works well as you can go from the pool to the dining areas. I have a 10 day coming up and will pack a carry on. ;) Your doing 5 days, don't stress. My first two cruises, I had a carryon for just my sandalls and shoes!!

Edited by janetz

5 dresses? Nice capris and tops work also. 1 pair of strappy sandals for capris or dress, flip flops for pool. Mix and match. Sundress for a cover up works well as you can go from the pool to the dining areas. I have a 10 day coming up and will pack a carry on. ;) Your doing 5 days, don't stress. My first two cruises, I had a carryon for just my sandalls and shoes!!

I used to only bring 1 dress and then a white capri and black capri and black and white heels and mix up the tops. For some reason I have taken a like to dresses. Not quite sure why?

Oh and I figured out how to get sunscreen down in a carry on. Bananna boat has a pump spray for 30 spf and also a tanning oil. So I am going to pour those into a smaller spray bottle and bring that! I always bring my body splash this way and never had a problem so I think I should be ok. I will bring conditioner and also mouthwash in a seperate travel bottle, and pretty much every cruise has had toothpaste in the room.

More and more this is sounding like the way to go. I just think I will need to pack an extra bag for the way home. I can check the suitcase and then I will have room for anything I decide to buy! :rolleyes:

You brought up something I forgot ALL about!! SUNSCREEN!!!:eek: I will burn if I do not have it! I know I have seen 3 oz sunscreen spray so I may have to look into that!
There is absolutely no way I could do 5 days in the Caribbean with only 3oz of sunscreen. 3oz may get you to your first port, but plan on allocating some budget and time for buying sunscreen.

Fingers crossed that your flights and connections are all on time, but you are seriously going to be cutting it close!

I usually pack one larger suitcase, because we get free luggage with our airline. But, I have packed for a 5 night cruise, with two additional days in Ft. Lauderdale (plus flying days) in a carry-on when we were on a different airline, traveling with 7 kids, and unwilling to pay luggage fees for 9!

You just have to do a little planning. I definitely down-sized my shoes; I only had 3 pair along; my comfy Merrell sandals, one dressy pair of black heels my walking shoes, which I wore on the plane. I also wore a cardigan sweater and a light jacket on the plane, so I didn't have to pack them. My husband sometimes wears his blazer on the plane to save suitcase room.

For day a couple of swim suits and a cover up, 2-3 pairs of shorts or capris and at least one tee for each day worked. I had room for two cocktail type dresses for the formal nights; I choose ones that pack easily. Bring one pair of black slacks, or a black skirt, and 2-3 cute tops for the other nights. You can leave the dresses home if you pack sparkly tops to wear with the black bottoms. Try to avoid packing those 'what if' clothes that are so tempting. Of course, normal amounts of underwear, etc.

I brought small sizes of almost all toiletries and brought less than normal. I don't really need four lipsticks or multiple eye shadows--want, maybe, but not need. We got there late two days before the cruise, so we had a whole day before sailing. I bought large sunscreen bottles there.

As to the wine, we rarely drink, so I guess that is where you have to make your decisions. We never bring any, and especially not with all those kids to keep track of. It wouldn't be worth checking a bag in your circumstances to me--not for the $25 but for the chance that your bag might not get there on time, given your short time frame. but that's your decision. I'd make a stop on the way to the ship for sunscreen and wine, if needed.

It's not as hard as you'd think if you can give up the mindset that you need something different for every day and venue and pack neutral bottoms that can be paired with different tops.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

I pick neutral colors (black/beige) and build from there with a few bright tops that can mix and match with slacks, capris or shorts. I carry one pair of dressy slacks and two sparkly tops for the two formal nights. One pair of dressy sandals for the formal nights. Black sandals, brown sandals that can go to the dining room or out by the pool. One t-shirt dress that can go from pool to a tour or the dining room on casual night. I pack plenty of panties, but I can wash a pair out at night and they are dry by morning. Bras will wash and dry overnight too. I just use the sink. I splurge and use the middle of the week wash and fold (on RCCL), usually just so I don't go home with dirty clothes. I use some of the knit fabric that takes up no room, lightweight and doesn't wrinkle for dinner slacks and a couple of the tops. Sunscreen in travel sizes work great. Bare minerals make-up doesn't count as a liquid. That gives me room for my shampoo and conditioner and toothpaste. I wear a sweater or jacket onto the plane that does double duty at night when it's cool in the air conditioning. I have a black "sweater" that is practically out of gauze and doesn't take up any room or wrinkle. One pair of the shoes (heaviest) are worn onto the plane. I have a sandwich baggie with my jewelry tucked into a corner. That will take me through a 7-day cruise and a pre-night before the cruise...during the summer. A cruise during the winter would be a different story for me.

That's a lot of stress over a $25 baggage fee.

My concerns regarding baggage would include our bags not getting to our destination if we check them and not being able to pack enough liquids and creams including enough of my faviorite shampoo and conditioner and lotions and sunscreen if we only use carry ons. DH wears button down shirts for dinner so wrinkled clothes are another concern.

The day that my biggest reason for using carry on luggage is the $25 baggage fee would be the day that I have a serious chat with my accountant.:D

Edited by Karysa

The OP says that she has a long stay over. Perhaps buying the wine and sunscreen at the airport once past security would be an option.

In 15+ cruises, ranging from 4 days to 21 days, usually with an extra 2-7 days pre or post cruise, we've only checked luggage twice. Once for a 21 day cruise plus 7 day land trip in January in the Mediterranean - the heavy sweaters too up so much room. One other time for 19 day HAL cruise where I packed too much formal wear and too many shoes and had to check a garment bag. Never again.

No more checked luggage for us. EVER. It's amazing how much you can fit into a bag if you buy the proper things and pack it properly. Rolling clothes is far better than folding. Buy toiletries before you hit the ship. Leave the vodka and cranberry juice at home (for many reasons!)

And these Packing Cubes are marvelous! http://amzn.to/1fHcCF7

Edited by jkgourmet

Having a checked bag might add a very small element of delay - but trying to stop en route to the ship to buy liquor and mixes would entail a serious delay. It would likely cost significantly more than stuff bought near home. Also, while you can "rebottle" you sunblock, lotions, shampoo, etc. into 3.4 oz. bottles, you would still come up against over-all limitations. Also, while it is possible to live a week out of a carry-on, do you really want to limit you options and spend time doing laundry? Go for the checked bag - bring the liquids you want, plus the clothes you'll need.

Having a checked bag might add a very small element of delay - but trying to stop en route to the ship to buy liquor and mixes would entail a serious delay. It would likely cost significantly more than stuff bought near home. Also, while you can "rebottle" you sunblock, lotions, shampoo, etc. into 3.4 oz. bottles, you would still come up against over-all limitations. Also, while it is possible to live a week out of a carry-on, do you really want to limit you options and spend time doing laundry? Go for the checked bag - bring the liquids you want, plus the clothes you'll need.

If her flight runs late she can opt not to stop. If she has time to stop - she can get her drinks and sunscreen. Since it is only a 5 night cruise she should not have to do a lot of laundry. One skirt or dressy slacks will be ok even on formal night. As long as she does not need a lot of shoes a carryon and a 'personal' item should be enough for 5 nights.

You can easily do it. My husband and I went on a 7 day cruise with a carryon suitcase each. We also took a small backpack for our personal item. For sunscreen, I transferred ours to 3 oz. travel bottles and took several. We also packed his suit and my formal wear for formal nights. The biggest tips are to cut down on shoes and take only travel size everything. Happy cruising!

In the days when we didn't limit the luggage or number of pairs of shoes we took, we always brought home more clothes that we didn't wear than what we wore. Traveling light has made traveling so much more enjoyable. Instead of feeling limited in what I can carry, it's made me less tired, less stressed, spend less time waiting on that checked bag, and packing and unpacking is much LESS stressful.

An idea---

Carryon your necessary items that you'll need for the whole cruise.

Check thru a cheap bag/box that has your wants and what ifs ---extra sunscreen, your wine etc

If the plane is late leave the bag/box at the airport.

Edited by SadieN

Ya it may be pretty tough to find sunscreen in a North Dakota airport in January. Perhaps you would have better luck at the airport in Florida with that. :)

I can't say that I've ever seen sunscreen in any of the Florida airports, either.