Arriving late in Miami

Leftygirl

Hello,

We are traveling on the Carnival Breeze in August (2 adults, 2 kids). We are arriving later in the evening the day before our cruise in Miami (around 6pm) via Amtrak.

1) What can my family do in the area at that time of the evening besides eat lol - the kids will be 13 & 14 when we cruise.

2) What hotels would you recommend in the area with shuttle service to the Port of Miami - doesnt have to be free but that would be nice:)

Thanks!

Shuttle service or short cab ride; the hotels around Bayside. Holiday Inn, B2 Miami, Intercontinental, etc etc. Good prices through Priceline, Booking, Travelpony.

Shop around at Bayside Marketplace untill 10pm, grab a movie at a theater, take a cab to South Beach and stroll around, etc.

Downtown hotels are closest to POM but none offers a shuttle to POM; Hampton Inn Mary Brickell is often suggested on these boards and is close to many local dining and shopping options. Doubletree offers big rooms (some with a view of the port) and an amazing pool. Taxi to POM the next day will cost you about $12-13+ on the meter. Hotel prices in August should be rock bottom -- book now and keep shopping.

If you prefer the beach you can try Miami Beach - farther cab from Amtrak and a longer cab ride to POM and maybe not exactly young teen friendly. :(

Hello,

We are traveling on the Carnival Breeze in August (2 adults, 2 kids). We are arriving later in the evening the day before our cruise in Miami (around 6pm) via Amtrak.

1) What can my family do in the area at that time of the evening besides eat lol - the kids will be 13 & 14 when we cruise.

2) What hotels would you recommend in the area with shuttle service to the Port of Miami - doesnt have to be free but that would be nice:)

Thanks!

I would plan on your train arriving later than six probably closer to 8PM. I would stay downtown, take a look at the Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn, intercontinental. Take a cab to the POM the next day. I would not focus on trying to find a shuttle.

I would plan on your train arriving later than six probably closer to 8PM. I would stay downtown, take a look at the Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn, intercontinental. Take a cab to the POM the next day. I would not focus on trying to find a shuttle.

Shuttle service or short cab ride; the hotels around Bayside. Holiday Inn, B2 Miami, Intercontinental, etc etc. Good prices through Priceline, Booking, Travelpony.

Shop around at Bayside Marketplace untill 10pm, grab a movie at a theater, take a cab to South Beach and stroll around, etc.

Thank you for the replies! We are looking at the Intercontinental because the room rate is actually lower than the Hampton Inn which surprised me.

I see there is a Hard Rock Cafe in the area, how far is the movie theater? After a long train ride and the excitement of the cruise the next day I'm sure none of us will be ready to retire to bed as soon as we arrive and just wanted to make sure we would have options staying Downtown. How safe is the area around Intercontinental?

We stayed at Hampton Inn last Feb. Very nice. this past Feb we stayed at Intercontinental. Little more fancier and right on water. We walked downtown and right near Bayside. We got a town car from Ft Lauderdale airport. from a wonderful guy. We just took the Breeze again in Feb for the second time. Best ship. Intercontinental offers a ride to the cruise port.

Thank you for the replies! We are looking at the Intercontinental because the room rate is actually lower than the Hampton Inn which surprised me.

I see there is a Hard Rock Cafe in the area, how far is the movie theater? After a long train ride and the excitement of the cruise the next day I'm sure none of us will be ready to retire to bed as soon as we arrive and just wanted to make sure we would have options staying Downtown. How safe is the area around Intercontinental?

Wouldn't know about a movie theater nearby, my guess there would be one or more nearby in the downtown area but in doubt after a Google search now..

We will visit Miami end of this month for 1st time, we landed a great deal on the Intercontinental through Priceline but let me check Travelpony for you, what are your dates?

We are arriving on 8/9. Also has the Amtrak station moved to its new location yet? What could we expect to pay in cab fare from Miami station to Downtown MIA?

Thanks for your help. This is my mom's first vacation without my dad and she is very concerned about our safety. Just want to take care of everything so she can relax and enjoy our vacation.

Intercontinental $138 + $18 tax for a standard room with 2 beds.

Nearby: Holiday Inn POM $129 ex tax, B2 hotel $105 ex tax, Courtyard by Marriot $107 ex tax, Hyatt Conv.center $127 ex tax.

All on Travelpony (plus $35 free credit).

For the cab fare; I've read MIA Airport - POM/downtown hotels will be around $25. Googled the Amtrak station, seems a 5 minute/3 mile longer ride. My guess 30 bucks?

On the meter about $30+

We stayed at Hampton Inn last Feb. Very nice. this past Feb we stayed at Intercontinental. Little more fancier and right on water. We walked downtown and right near Bayside. We got a town car from Ft Lauderdale airport. from a wonderful guy. We just took the Breeze again in Feb for the second time. Best ship. Intercontinental offers a ride to the cruise port.

Thanks - we went ahead and booked the Intercontinental. I didnt see anywhere on their website where we could book a shuttle to the port so we will just take a cab. I think the location is just what we are looking for and we booked a bay view room I'm sure the kids will enjoy watching the ships from the window:)