HAL Charter - but HAL still selling the cruise?

Windsailer

I booked a cruise on Eurodam on 7 Jan for 1 Mar 2015. I learned on 23 Feb that ECP was advertising a full charter on the same date and ship. As of today, ECP and HAL are both still selling this ship/date. I do not know when ECP began to sell this cruise but double selling has been going on for at least six weeks.
If it helps you with anything (eg if you're going to complain to HAL), ECP first marketed the 1 March 2015 sailing to its mailing list on 23 January 2014.

Has anyone sailed on one of the "chartered" music tours and been able to participate in the activities.

I assume you mean on a ship that is partially chartered but you are not part of the charter group and are a regular pax on that ship. No, normally you would not be able to participate in their activities. Pax who booked as part of the charter group pay a premium in order to enjoy the activities provided, special entertainment, parties, etc, so there is no reason for them to allow regular booked pax to participate when they did not pay to be part of the group. Apologies if that is not what you meant.

I assume you mean on a ship that is partially chartered but you are not part of the charter group and are a regular pax on that ship. No, normally you would not be able to participate in their activities. Pax who booked as part of the charter group pay a premium in order to enjoy the activities provided, special entertainment, parties, etc, so there is no reason for them to allow regular booked pax to participate when they did not pay to be part of the group. Apologies if that is not what you meant.

Thank you. That is exactly what I meant. I have booked a cruise and found out through CC that it is a Soul Train Cruise. I looked at the entertainment and "WOW". I'm expecting to be bumped from the cruise, but I'm not sure I would enjoy being on the cruise and not be able to enjoy the entertainment.

I looked up the Soul Train Cruise and you are right, they DO pay a premium.

Thanks for the info.

I've been on 11 straight full charter Jazz cruises...

I'm guessing that you booked a regular cruise on the Eurodam prior to the signing of the contract that converted that week's sailing into the Soul Train Charter

I assume you mean on a ship that is partially chartered but you are not part of the charter group and are a regular pax on that ship.
Thank you. That is exactly what I meant. I have booked a cruise and found out through CC that it is a Soul Train Cruise. I looked at the entertainment and "WOW". I'm expecting to be bumped from the cruise, but I'm not sure I would enjoy being on the cruise and not be able to enjoy the entertainment.
No, the Soul Train Cruise is not partially chartered. It's a full ship charter and you cannot go on that cruise at all unless you book through the charterer.

No, the Soul Train Cruise is not partially chartered. It's a full ship charter and you cannot go on that cruise at all unless you book through the charterer.

Well, I guess I'll just wait to be bumped, because I booked thru HAL and I have a confirmed reservation and cabin. I have even completed my check -in.

Since I found out about the Soul Train Charter, I have been expecting to be bumped, but it hasn't happened yet.

I've been on 11 straight full charter Jazz cruises...

I'm guessing that you booked a regular cruise on the Eurodam prior to the signing of the contract that converted that week's sailing into the Soul Train Charter

Yes Hattack, I booked it as a regular cruise thru HAL last month. Even if they don't bump me, I will wait until Sept/Oct and check back with HAL and call Soul Train to see if there is an "Entertainment" fee that can be paid. If not, I'll cancel, because I don't want to be on a ship where I am restricted from the entertainment.

I trust you already have a back up vacation cruise plan.?? I would suggest you go to the ECP Soul Train website today and price out your cabin category....the difference in price is your :eek:entertainment fee:eek:

The Soul Train charter is wildly popular and sells out every year since it has been introduced (my friends go on it every year)...

I would not wait for someone from HAL to call you in Sept/Oct...by then your back up plan may not be an option for you

I would not wait for someone from HAL to call you in Sept/Oct...by then your back up plan may not be an option for you

Start looking at backup plans but don't book anything yet - wait and see what HAL offers.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions about a back up plan.

This is something I want to do, but not on my list of top ten. I am OK if it doesn't work out. This was sort of a filler that would be fun.

You can't blame me for trying.

What I don't like about Soul Train ( aside from the prices:eek:) is the fact that they say you have no control over your cabin, other than the category, nor are you able to pick your dining time. They told me that you book a category and the computer assigns your cabin number and dining time. They said that after the cabins have been assigned, give them a call and they will see what they can do to accommodate you.:rolleyes:

What I don't like about Soul Train ( aside from the prices:eek:) is the fact that they say you have no control over your cabin, other than the category, nor are you able to pick your dining time. They told me that you book a category and the computer assigns your cabin number and dining time.
You should be able to have some control over choosing a cabin. If you click through to the online reservation system, you pick a category. On the next screen, the system should offer you a handful of cabin numbers. If you don't like any of the cabins you see then, click refresh, and a different selection of cabins will be shown. I know it's a slightly random way of doing things, but with only a little perseverance when I was booking, I was eventually able to get an aft balcony on exactly the deck I wanted.

They use the same type of reservation system for the Capital Jazz SuperCruise plus you can select your dining preference when you complete your reservation process along with your deposit

The more popular charter music cruises have a very high repeat guests business (50-75%) who will request the same cabin and dining preference...some music charters will send an email to past guests, prior to opening for sale to the general public, which gives them the opportunity to exercise their choice..

Cabin type, location and dining choices are far less important on a full charter music cruise because you spend very little time in your cabin and the performance schedule drives your dining time

You should be able to have some control over choosing a cabin. If you click through to the online reservation system, you pick a category. On the next screen, the system should offer you a handful of cabin numbers. If you don't like any of the cabins you see then, click refresh, and a different selection of cabins will be shown. I know it's a slightly random way of doing things, but with only a little perseverance when I was booking, I was eventually able to get an aft balcony on exactly the deck I wanted. 

I'll look again. I only saw the reservation request and that was only followed by a call back. I didn't see where I could reserve online. I'll look again.

Thanks

Edited by ibfishing2
change color

Thanks Globaliser, Its not working for me.

Book Now

Booking Methods

All New & Past Guests are strongly encouraged to complete the Reservation Request Form to start the reservation process.

If you know what cabin you would like to reserve, please click the "Book Now" button below and a reservationist will contact you immediately to make your complete reservation. You may also call ********** to speak directly with a reservationist.

Book Now

To register your request for a reservation, please click on the “Reservation Request” button below. A reservationist will contact you and assist you in selecting your cabin category request.

This is all I get.

DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's just like you said. I see it.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

We booked for the Country Western Cruise next January and I called the travel agency looking after the cruise direct. I was able to pick my cabin that way. I have since found out that my own TA could have looked after the booking for me.

• 2 weeks later...
After reading the April Update on charters and drydocks, and noticing that a 650 person group would now be on my Jan 54, 2015 NA cruise, I decided to switch to another cruise around those same dates. I found the Eurodam Jan 4 - 18, 2015 14 days cruise (on the HAL website) that seemed like it would work. It's really two 7 days put together but sold as one cruise.

I then rechecked the HAL Charter thread, and much to my surprise find this:

"Eurodam : 11 January 2015 - 18 January 2015: Smooth Jazz charter

Eurodam : 18 January 2015 - 25 January 2015 : Country Music Cruise Charter - ECP Cruises."

So HAL is still selling this cruise even though it's a charter? I'm pretty unhappy with HAL right now.

Iam also very unhappy with HAL. Booked the Eurodam for the 11-18th january cruise. Also fully paid. They bumped me for a jazz group. Now have added flight and hotel costs for new booking.

Because I was bumped even after paying I have rearranged the flights and hotel to coincide with the new sailing date. I now have to pay 260 euro's more. HAL are not intrested. Having to claim by my TA. Still awaiting their reply. I asked for either financial compensation or a cabin upgrade at no extra cost. See what happens.

• 2 weeks later...
Iam also very unhappy with HAL. Booked the Eurodam for the 11-18th january cruise. Also fully paid. They bumped me for a jazz group. Now have added flight and hotel costs for new booking.
Because I was bumped even after paying I have rearranged the flights and hotel to coincide with the new sailing date. I now have to pay 260 euro's more. HAL are not intrested. Having to claim by my TA. Still awaiting their reply. I asked for either financial compensation or a cabin upgrade at no extra cost. See what happens.
I'm not quite sure why you would have fully paid already for a cruise next January?

At any rate, did you book in NL? And did you book more than just the cruise with HAL? If you did, I'm wondering whether you might be able to rely on your rights under the Package Travel Directive.