Aft Facing Balcony Question

Has anyone stayed in one of the aft-facing balcony cabins on the Navigator of the Sea (7690 for example)? It looks like a large balcony. Are there any negatives about these aft-facing balcony cabins to be aware of? (obstructed view, blockage of wind that might make the balcony hot, soot)

Thanks for any information you can share.

Stephen

We love aft cabins (don't even mind a little vibration or soot)! The balconies are great -- almost all are larger than side balconies, and the view is fabulous. However, all of the Adventure and Freedom Class ships have a large metal "superstructure" on the back of the ship. Depending on where your cabin is located, it can obstruct some of your view. Radiance and Vision class ships do not have this, and they have a better view. BTW -- I still would book an aft cabin -- even on a ship with the "superstructure". :cool:

We were in an aft balcony on the Voyager (same class as the Navigator) and the balcony was MUCH bigger. We didn't have any problems with soot or vibrations but it was the ONLY time I have ever gotten seasick in 20 cruises. If it weren't for that, we'd book an aft again without hesitation. The obstructed view because of the structure of the ship didn't bother us at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We love aft cabins (don't even mind a little vibration or soot)! The balconies are great -- almost all are larger than side balconies, and the view is fabulous. However, all of the Adventure and Freedom Class ships have a large metal "superstructure" on the back of the ship. Depending on where your cabin is located, it can obstruct some of your view. Radiance and Vision class ships do not have this, and they have a better view. BTW -- I still would book an aft cabin -- even on a ship with the "superstructure". :cool:

I'm on a Voyager class ship. I think I'm going to be fine with my aft cabin on Deck 7. My travel agent is going to check it out for me in May before I sail in July.

I truly appreciate your response. I think it will be great!

Stephen

it was the ONLY time I have ever gotten seasick in 20 cruises.

I sailed in the coveted 7388 on Explorer. The balcony is absolutely wonderful and I did not mind the structure, but it was the only time I have gotten seasick in 30 cruises!! We did have lots of vibration and swaying.

We were just in 7688 on the voyager and the cabin was amazing . The balcony was huge and a great place to watch sail away. No soot. No extra passenger noise. Get away from everyone else and lay on your lounge on the balcony and relax. I could never have a normal balcony again. Loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We were in an aft balcony on the Voyager (same class as the Navigator) and the balcony was MUCH bigger. We didn't have any problems with soot or vibrations but it was the ONLY time I have ever gotten seasick in 20 cruises. If it weren't for that, we'd book an aft again without hesitation. The obstructed view because of the structure of the ship didn't bother us at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It sounds like you really enjoyed it except for being seasick. Sorry about that. I've not experienced being seasick and hope not to this trip. Nasty huh.

Thanks for your comments. Much appreciated :)

Stephen

We were just in 7688 on the voyager and the cabin was amazing . The balcony was huge and a great place to watch sail away. No soot. No extra passenger noise. Get away from everyone else and lay on your lounge on the balcony and relax. I could never have a normal balcony again. Loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am so glad you had a good experience, and it makes me more comfortable in selecting 7690.

Thanks so much for sharing your good experience!

Stephen

Here is a link to a thread that is all about aft cabins, it's called "Show us Your Aft". It was started in 2010 and continues to today. I think you will find it helpful and maybe even find pics of the cabin you are interested in.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1243860

Edited by Kevin's girl

Here is a link to a thread that is all about aft cabins' date=' it's called "Show us Your Aft". It was started in 2010 and continues to today. I think you will find it helpful and maybe even find pics of the cabin you are interested in.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1243860

I will check this out. Thanks for sharing.

Happy Cruising

Stephen

I sailed in the coveted 7388 on Explorer. The balcony is absolutely wonderful and I did not mind the structure, but it was the only time I have gotten seasick in 30 cruises!! We did have lots of vibration and swaying.

We are in 7688 which is on the other side of the ship so basically the same cabin. How rough were the seas that made you sick? We are sailing to Bermuda next month so I am more than a little curious! We have never been seasick either but I am thinking I should maybe pack some medicine just incase. This will be our first aft experience as we always managed to stay near the middle of the ship. We have friends staying just 2 doors down on the port side so I guess it will be bumpy for them too?

We are in 7688 which is on the other side of the ship so basically the same cabin. How rough were the seas that made you sick? We are sailing to Bermuda next month so I am more than a little curious! We have never been seasick either but I am thinking I should maybe pack some medicine just incase. This will be our first aft experience as we always managed to stay near the middle of the ship. We have friends staying just 2 doors down on the port side so I guess it will be bumpy for them too?

My son sailed with us but in 7688 and he did not notice any vibrating and did not get sick, so go figure. You can get seasick meds from the medical center or guest services at no charge. Those pills did the trick for me. I do hope you enjoy that balcony -- it is truly unbelievable. My DH slept out there one night in a lounger!