Schwerin or Stralsund

I am on the Connie for the Baltic's cruise May 9, 2014. Not going to Berlin, but I want to do a self-tour to Schwerin or Stralsund from Warnemunde (port) via train.

Which town should I go to?? They both look beautiful on the websites.

Help!

Hi;

went to Stralsund last summer and have no regrets. Visited the aquarium and walked about the town. Had a nice lunch at one of the local cafes. My daughter and I chose to rent a car, which we garnered right outside the ship's terminal, and found the road signs very appropriate and helpful, given that we speak not a word of German. We both thought that the prices seemed very reasonable; but perhaps that was because we were comparing them to the Scandinavian cities....

hope this helps.

I am on the Connie for the Baltic's cruise May 9' date=' 2014. Not going to Berlin, but I want to do a self-tour to Schwerin or Stralsund from Warnemunde (port) via train.

Which town should I go to?? They both look beautiful on the websites.

Help![/quote']

Hi, it depends on what you prefer.

Stralsund is very medieval, lots of museums etc. in very old restored buildings like warehouses and monasteries as well as the ultra-modern aquarium.

Schwerin is more modern but has the beautiful, fairy-tale castle and many associated Baroque buildings as well as the landscape of the 7 lakes around which the city is built.

Warnemünde - do leave enough time to stroll around this pretty little sea-side suburb of Rostock before you are due back on board. It is especially nice on a summer evening and your ship is only a 5min walk away - no stress about missing it.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

For more info. on all three, including how to get there by train see my web site www.travelanni.webs.com

Thanks to Anni's help we plan to do BOTH Schwerin & Wismar on a long port day.

Baroque & medieval on same day. Seems straight forward using trains. Here is our plan. Anni maybe you can comment on its feasibility.

Depart Rostock Hbf. 9:07, Arrive Schwerin Hbf. 10:03

Depart Schwerin Hbf. 13:46 (or 14:46) Arrive Wismar 14:21 (15:16), Depart Wismar 16:42, Arrive Rostock Hbf 17:51.

This leaves ~3.5 or 4.5 hours in Schwerin and ~2.3 or 1.3 hours in Wismar.

Alternate if tired is to return from Schwerin, Depart Schwerin Hbf. 15:53, 17:53 Arrive Rostock Hbf. 16:51,18:51.

Quick lunch in Schwerin. Full day, I know.