Service Charges on NCL

Shacky316

before NCL made this what it did today, it was clearly discretionary. about 40% of the people who removed it to leave "cash", reduced the amount

or left nothing even when they had no service related complaint. Do you really want to give succor to those people?

While it may or may not be true that you leave more cash than the suggested DSC, do you really want to give them cover to leave less?

BTW no one is suggesting that you don't reduce/remove when you have a service related complaint but do you really want to help those than just want to pocket it?

I'll leave it there but most of the time when the shoe fits it fits.

I believe people should be armed with cold, hard facts. The decision they make once they have those facts is completely up to them. I don't judge them. Many don't want people to know the facts. To me, that is dishonest.

Most ships ask you to visit the last evening.

And sometimes you get in kind what you give.:rolleyes:

I never heard they don't ask why, just seems reasonable that they would because like it says, they want a chance to correct a perceived problem.

Where did you hear or read that one is under no obligation to give a reason? What....do you plead the Fifth?:D

Just like the poppycock quoted above at the top of this post. Why (not that I have every read or heard of this anywhere nor do I believe it for a moment) would anyone (cruise line or other) want you to wait until the last night to report a problem (for the purposes of lowering or removing the tip)? At that point, nothing can be done to even attempt to correct the problem which could have been a very easy fix. That kind of thought pattern doesn't even make any sense and I suspect was started by people who are just cheap and want to save a buck or two while not taking the chance of losing any of the service they are being provided.

Where did you hear or read that one is under no obligation to give a reason? What....do you plead the Fifth?:D

Dozens of cruises with NCL. Experience is the best way to gather facts. Also a dose of common sense. Try it sometime, you might like it.

Plead the fifth on what? You lost me.

I believe people should be armed with cold, hard facts. The decision they make once they have those facts is completely up to them. I don't judge them. Many don't want people to know the facts. To me, that is dishonest.

but the "facts" include, whether you like it or not, is that this is how the service people are paid. remove it and they are required to turn in ALL the cash they receive(except on the POA). so the fact that you have the power(can) remove it is only half the facts. You know the "truth" the WHOLE truth means a complete not misleading answer. so the consequences of removing it should be included in the fact that you have the power to.

Hello. I recently went on a weekend cruise with the DW on the Breakaway in January. Since it was 2 nights/ 2 people, the $48 service charge was not the end of the world. However, I never saw the cabin steward nor did he/she attempt to introduce himself. Is this how NCL operates?

I am now going on the Breakaway again in June for a 7 nighter with 4 people. So now I'm looking at $336 for turndown service? Why $12 per person when Disney suggests $4/person per day? Is the NCL service fee going to other employees as well?

Has anyone actually adjusted their service fee lower on an NCL cruise?

Frequently Asked Questions

NCL.com frequently asked questions

What's the service charge?

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

How much is the charge?

Onboard Service Charges are additional. A charge of $12 per person per day will automatically be added to your onboard account.

Are service charges across the board for all guests?

All guests 3 years or older.

How do I prepay my service charges?

Contact your travel professional and request that it be added to your cruise reservation. If you have not made final payment this will be included in your final payment amount or if final payment has already been made we will require full payment at the time it is added.

At what point in the booking process can the prepaid charges be added?

They can be added at anytime up to 24 hours prior to sailing.

Why would I prepay my service charges?

The convenience of pre-paying the service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board.

If I cancel my cruise are the service charges refundable?

Yes! The service charges are 100% refundable.

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

Frequently Asked Questions

NCL.com frequently asked questions

How much is the charge?

Onboard Service Charges are additional. A charge of $12 per person per day will automatically be added to your onboard account.

You seem to have omitted a line from NCL on their own web site:

What’s the service charge?

A fixed service charge of $12 per person per day will be payable, at your discretion

You seem to have omitted a line from NCL on their own web site:

What’s the service charge?

A fixed service charge of $12 per person per day will be payable, at your discretion

It also says:

"Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges."

I take that to be if there is a problem you should report the problem and give them a chance to correct the problem. IF the problem is not fixed to my satisfaction........

But any concerns should be reported and NCL should have a chance to correct it prior to any adjustment. That's how I take it when I read it.

Harriet

It also says:

I take that to be if there is a problem you should report the problem and give them a chance to correct the problem. IF the problem is not fixed to my satisfaction........

But any concerns should be reported and NCL should have a chance to correct it prior to any adjustment. That's how I take it when I read it.

Harriet

You can take it any way you want. It is perfectly clear that NCL quote on THEIR website that the service charge is DISCRETIONARY. Simples !

You can take it any way you want. It is perfectly clear that NCL quote on THEIR website that the service charge is DISCRETIONARY. Simples !

Did you read that entire quote. Towards the bottom that states what I said?

Here is the link. What's written is towards the bottom of NCL's web at the following link:

http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

Just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

You are right, the British web site does in fact say that! We understand it is a requirement on your side of the pond, and one of the reasons I suspect that you don't get some of the same deals on cruising that we do.

However, the U.S. website says no such thing! Our website says this:

How much is the charge?

This discussion is generally talking about this side of the pond, your argument is absolutely valid for UK bookings. I challenge anyone to find discretionary mentioned in the FAQ's regarding the DSC on the U.S. site?

You are right, the British web site does in fact say that! We understand it is a requirement on your side of the pond, and one of the reasons I suspect that you don't get some of the same deals on cruising that we do.

How much is the charge?

This discussion is generally talking about this side of the pond, your argument is absolutely valid for UK bookings. I challenge anyone to find discretionary mentioned in the FAQ's regarding the DSC on the U.S. site?

Nope, 'discretionary' is not mentioned at all on the US Site. It is, however, mentioned on the UK site. I might also add, however, that the last paragraph that I quoted about a passanger having any concern to please report it and give NCL the opportunity to correct the concern is there....on the UK site.....as is the statement that if the concern cannot be corrected to one's satisfaction the DSC can be adjusted.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

Just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

I remember sailing with some fellow Brits a couple of years back. The female was telling everyone who would listen how to save $288 by removing the DSC and not giving any of the servers a penny.

I asked her to justify to me why she was doing this. Her answer was, the ship is not new and there are newer and better ships I could have sailed on. I pointed out that the age of the ship is not a service issue but she was adamant it was. She also felt that the quality of the food on another line she had sailed 5 years earlier was better. I again tried to tell her that she was giving reasons based upon the product as a whole and not the service she received and that she chose not to sail on the newer ship or another line. She then told me their room steward was useless as he came to service the room while they were there and said he would come back later. This was harrassment allegedly and everyone working in housekeeping or food service had to suffer for a steward who turned up at an inconvenient time for her.

There is no arguing with folks who have "rights". I personally support the inclusion of the DSC in the price of the upfront fare but fully understand that this is another set of problems that would arise with all lines having to do it and having to pay around 30% more due to tax burden etc.

It also says:

Harriet

I comprehend it exactly the way you do and after conversations with many of the managers on board this is how they see it too.

How much is the charge?

So NOW I know why I have read so many differing points of view on this subject! I truly never knew that the UK site uses the term *discretionary* when talking about the DSC! :o

We used NCL.COM as opposed to NCL.CO.UK to book our last trip as prices were more competitive and the DSC was automatically added to our onboard account. I thought that was how it always worked!! :o

You learn something new every day! :)

So NOW I know why I have read so many differing points of view on this subject! I truly never knew that the UK site uses the term *discretionary* when talking about the DSC! :o

We used NCL.COM as opposed to NCL.CO.UK to book our last trip as prices were more competitive and the DSC was automatically added to our onboard account. I thought that was how it always worked!! :o

You learn something new every day! :)

Either site.....US or UK both ask that you contact them if there are any problems.....allow them to correct them.....and IF they are not corrected to your satisfaction you may adjust the DSC.

Harriet

How much is the daily service charge your kids pay?

When we eat out we pay tip % according to the bill, not per person.

Did you read my whole post? I stated I would personally pay the full DCS.

As LMB stated "Economy of Scale". Thats how the cruiselines do what they do as cheap as they do.

I remember sailing with some fellow Brits a couple of years back. The female was telling everyone who would listen how to save $288 by removing the DSC and not giving any of the servers a penny.

I asked her to justify to me why she was doing this. Her answer was, the ship is not new and there are newer and better ships I could have sailed on. I pointed out that the age of the ship is not a service issue but she was adamant it was. She also felt that the quality of the food on another line she had sailed 5 years earlier was better. I again tried to tell her that she was giving reasons based upon the product as a whole and not the service she received and that she chose not to sail on the newer ship or another line. She then told me their room steward was useless as he came to service the room while they were there and said he would come back later. This was harrassment allegedly and everyone working in housekeeping or food service had to suffer for a steward who turned up at an inconvenient time for her.

There is no arguing with folks who have "rights". I personally support the inclusion of the DSC in the price of the upfront fare but fully understand that this is another set of problems that would arise with all lines having to do it and having to pay around 30% more due to tax burden etc.

I would be happy to support the additional tax burden if it would remove some cheapskates from the cruising world. :)

but the "facts" include, whether you like it or not, is that this is how the service people are paid. remove it and they are required to turn in ALL the cash they receive(except on the POA). so the fact that you have the power(can) remove it is only half the facts. You know the "truth" the WHOLE truth means a complete not misleading answer. so the consequences of removing it should be included in the fact that you have the power to.

Your claim that removing the discretionary service charge forces the staff to 'turn in' all cash tips is not a fact. However, assuming it is true, then the cash you hand out goes into the pool and the situation remains the same.

Yup, the tip makes up the majority of the crew's income. I believe that is pretty common knowledge. Just like any waiter in most restaurants across America. Guess what, if they provide poor service their tips go down, which means their income goes down.

Not sure how you come to the conclusion that I gave a misleading answer. My answer is just the opposite.

Why would someone be removing or reducing the service charge without a problem or service issue? To save money. Not a justifiable reason in my book. (And they probably direct those people to come back on the last night in the hope that in the interim they will forget.)

A person could adjust the discretionary service charge for many reasons. They feel it is too high. They prefer to tip in cash. Lots of reasons. How a person chooses to spend THEIR money is not dependent on if YOU find it justifiable or not. In other words, your opinion does not matter when I am spending my money.

Did you read that entire quote. Towards the bottom that states what I said?

Here is the link. What's written is towards the bottom of NCL's web at the following link:

http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

Harriet

Your quote addresses the specific question regarding 'if there is a service issue'. The discretionary service charge is not adjustable ONLY due to a service issue. It can be adjusted for a myriad of other reasons as well.

Hiding the fact that they are, in fact, just plain old cheapskates. So being curt, tap dancing, or just plain ignoring the question of "what was the problem" is what most do when confronted with the question at GS.

And you know this how? Experience or do you stand at guest services all day listening to customer interactions?

As I have stated numerous times, sometimes there ISN'T a problem.

The DSC should only be pulled because of a service problem

That is simply your opinion and it is not shared by NCL because they allow you to adjust the discretionary service charge for any reason you choose. Between you and NCL, I will go with NCL's opinion. No offense.

And you know this how? Experience or do you stand at guest services all day listening to customer interactions?

As I have stated numerous times, sometimes there ISN'T a problem.

You are correct....sometimes there isn't a problem...as evidenced by the fact that most people leave the DSC in place. No problem.

However, sometimes there IS a problem...as evidenced by the fact that some people remove/adjust the DSC. In many cases, this is a result of a service failure which cannot be corrected. In other cases, people will come up with a myriad of excuses for not paying their fair share....a behavior which a lot of people see a cheap.