First Transatlantic in November- a few questions.w

BomanW

My wife put me in charge of obsessing about our Cruise Nov 1 on the Silhouette from Rome.The stops are Florence/Pisa ,Provence Barcelona ,Palma de Majorca,and Tenerife in the Canary Islands .

My questions are :

When to book choice air- is sooner better?

How is Celebrity's trip from Rome airport to ship on day of cruise?

Are the ports on this cruise tendered and or close to the towns?

How cold/warm is the Atlantic crossing in early November?

Any insight on this will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by BomanW
adding on

Hi Boman, welcome!

My spouse and I are also on this TA. Please come over to the Roll Call for this sailing and join the discussion:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1813154

In terms of your questions that I can answer:

The ports are all docked, not tendered.

Weather of course is unpredictable, but expect it to get warmer after we leave Tenerife.

The layered approach to dressing will work best. Be prepared for warm, cold, and wet! I pretty much wore shorts on board during our entire crossing last fall.

We look forward to meeting you.

I was going to say the same thing! We got quite a group over there! All your questions will be answered.

Weather in 2012 was light jacket most days even when crossing but closer to fl got warmer but we were at the pool only one day.

Trip from Rome to port about hour and half. Come to the roll call some are getting a group together to save money

The roll call is a great place for information...but I'll make a couple of comments here.

1) the cost of a private car from rome/airport to the ship (or the ship to rome/airport) is about the same as two people using the Celebrity Transfers. Many advantages to this including not having to wait on a bus until they load and decide to leave, being dropped off exactly where you need to go and the comfort of being in your own car rather than a bus.

2) Choice air has some wonderful prices for one-way tickets. Prices do vary, but choice air does not have an unlimited number of seats on every flight. If you wait, you may have to connect somewhere and your connections may be long, etc. If you find a good connection or direct flight, my advice is to book it and don't try to time the price.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Edited by ghstudio

• 6 months later...

I am trying to arrange a cab or shuttle to share on 10/31 (one day early). My wife and I arrive at FCO on Air Berlin at 11:20 AM and want to go directly to port. Anyone arriving close to this time who is interested can contact me at boman3650 at sbcglobal dot net Thanks.

I am trying to arrange a cab or shuttle to share on 10/31 (one day early). My wife and I arrive at FCO on Air Berlin at 11:20 AM and want to go directly to port. Anyone arriving close to this time who is interested can contact me at boman3650 at sbcglobal dot net Thanks.

Check the Roll Call: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2090300&page=89

My wife put me in charge of obsessing about our Cruise Nov 1 on the Silhouette from Rome.The stops are Florence/Pisa ,Provence Barcelona ,Palma de Majorca,and Tenerife in the Canary Islands .

My questions are :

We do a Trans Atlantic either from Rome or Barcelona every year. Last year we did it from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale on the Equinox and this year Nov. 5th we are doing it from Rome to Fort Lauderdale on the Constellation. Rome will be coolish as will be Florence and Pisa. I'd say in the low to mid 60's. As you travel south it will begin to warm up and by the time you reach Tenerife (port there is Santa Cruz) it will be in the low to mid 70's. I recommend the northern island tour. it's beautiful. It's not to early to buy your tickets from Choice Air now. Since you have chosen a southern route the temps on the Atlantic will be in the low to mid 70's and it will get warmer as you continue on toward Florida. By the time you arrive in Florida it will be close to 80. As for dress we layer. If you are going in the day of the cruise you can arrange transportation from the airport to the ship through Celebrity. The port for Rome is Civitavecchia and it's approximately 60 or 70 miles from the airport to the port. It should take about an hour and a half to reach the pier. If you are going in a day ahead of time you can arrange transportation through Celebrity to meet you at the airport, take you to the hotel and then from your hotel to the pier. We always make our transportation arrangements through Celebrity and are very happy with them. Enjoy your cruise! You are going to love it.

My wife put me in charge of obsessing about our Cruise Nov 1 on the Silhouette from Rome. The stops are Florence/Pisa ,Provence Barcelona ,Palma de Majorca,and Tenerife in the Canary Islands .

My questions are :

We did this TA last year in November on Reflection, Rome to Miami. It was a great experience, wonderful trip and Celebrity really rolled out the service.

1) Last year we booked Choice Air Phoenix to Rome only 4 weeks out and got a Really Good price at $550pp so don't really think it matters how early you book your flight.

2) Would recommend coming into Rome a day before your embarkation.

3) This cruise takes the Southern route and it was very smooth all the way over to Miami.

4) Surprisingly warm, would have liked it a bit cooler.

5) Enjoy, you picked a great cruise.

Edited by Shake

My questions are :...

Are the ports on this cruise tendered and or close to the towns? ...

Other than Tenerife, all the docks are several kilometers from anything of interest. If you are a DYI type:

there is a cruise line pay shuttle into downtown Livorno (still not close to the rail station);

a reasonably priced ferry to downtown Toulon,

a port bus (3 Euros pp round trip as of Spring 2014) to Las Ramblas in Barcelona, and

a city bus from the dock area to downtown Majorca.

Unless you have been to Rome many times or just cannot spare more days away from home consider arriving several days early and enjoying the city.

Note that Choice Air prices (like all air prices) can vary considerably by day of the week. Two years ago we more than paid for an extra day in Rome by going a day earlier on a cheaper day. I don't know where you are coming from, but

--look at Choice Air for Your-Home-Town to Rome plus Fort Lauderdale to Home as a package AND

--look at Choice Air from Home to Rome with a separately purchased (non- Choice Air) domestic return. I often save hundreds of dollars by splitting the air purchase. Choice Air is usually great for one-way to Europe; not so great on domestic flights.

enjoy

Thom

Hello Fellow Transatlntic passengers:

Boman and maryKay wright here --

WE I am trying to arrange a cab or shuttle to share on 10/31 (one day early). My wife and I arrive at FCO on Air Berlin at 11:20 AM and want to go directly to port. Anyone arriving close to this time who is interested can contact me at boman3650 at sbcglobal dot net Thanks.

Other than Tenerife, all the docks are several kilometers from anything of interest. If you are a DYI type:

there is a cruise line pay shuttle into downtown Livorno (still not close to the rail station);

a reasonably priced ferry to downtown Toulon,

a port bus (3 Euros pp round trip as of Spring 2014) to Las Ramblas in Barcelona, and

a city bus from the dock area to downtown Majorca.

Thom

Thom,

We will be on this cruise, as well. Could you tell us more about the bus in Majorca? How much is it? Will it take us anywhere near the Cathedral? Can you easily return to the ship by bus or would a taxi be better? Thanks.

Thom,

We will be on this cruise, as well. Could you tell us more about the bus in Majorca? How much is it? Will it take us anywhere near the Cathedral? Can you easily return to the ship by bus or would a taxi be better? Thanks.

I wish I knew more. I was in Majorca on the Liberty of the Seas TA this spring, but went on a private tour to Soller which gave us an hour at the end near the cathedral, so I used the chartered bus. I will be in Palma again 28 Oct 2014 (X Equinox). There is a #3 city bus (EMT) on Juan Miro that charges 1.50 Euros (sounds like they take cash, I don't know about change, so I recommend exact), but is not right at the port terminal and it loops around downtown so it would be 10-15 walk to the cathedral. I might recommend taking a taxi which shouldn't be more than 10 Euro; it shouldn't be hard to get a small group to go and split the cost. The ship may offer a shuttle to downtown, but the cost of that for several people likely would be more than the cost of taxis.

good luck

Thom