Something Annoying Carnival Does With Your Credit Card

dljones

OThey got into trouble using credit cards and then never paid and ruined their credit so now they can't get credit cards.

Three words: Secured Credit Card.

I understand some just don't possess sufficient discipline to not get themselves into trouble with credit, and perhaps avoid getting credit cards as a means to avoid trouble. I respect that choice. However, the operative word then is "won't" not "can't"... Just saying...

OK, so you have a credit card assigned to your Sign and Sale Card, right? So periodically throughout the cruise, Carnival charges your credit card for the amount you have spent thus far. However, these are just "hold" charges (not sure the correct banking term) that "fall off" in a few days.

In the mean time, on the last day, you are billed for the entire amount of the cruise. Unfortunately, the "hold charges" have not fallen off your account by then and if you don't have the extra money in your account to cover the entire cost of the cruise PLUS all the holds you are in deep poo!

Luckily, we have had the money in the bank to cover such nonsense but I wonder how many other people have been caught off guard by this practice?

Again it is surprising how many people do not understand credit and/or debit card use.

Hotels, car rentals, ALL cruise lines, restaurants, gas stations all put holds on credit and debit cards.

It surprises me the amount of ignorance about credit/debit card use.

Possibly because I dint like using a credit card. I keep one for inferences and ....

Okay, I give up. What are inferences? I figure it is a misspelling, but I can't figure out of what.

Who cares what they do? The final charge is the only one that counts. The additional holds will fall off.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If they've held $1000 and then run a final bill for $1100 and you only have $1000 in the bank (or any amount below $2100) your account will overdraw until the hold is released.

Different strokes for different folks as far as debit vs credit vs cash debate goes. What other people do in this regard doesn't impact me.

Couldn't people just apply for an overdraft protection credit. All of the banks I've had let me apply for credit that was used for overdraft only. In the case of a hold on the account the overdraft credit would ensure you don't get declined. Since it's a hold that falls off, you shouldn't get any fees. But I also switched from a regular bank to a credit union simply because the credit union doesn't charge a fee if I go into my overdraft (I would get charged interest if it wasn't paid off that month).

There are a lot of people out there that just plain don't own a credit card.

I always wonder how they book a hotel room or rent a car or buy anything online. Everything you do asks for a credit card number now.

Maybe they don't do any of those things. There are a great many people that don't travel.

Couldn't people just apply for an overdraft protection credit. All of the banks I've had let me apply for credit that was used for overdraft only. In the case of a hold on the account the overdraft credit would ensure you don't get declined. Since it's a hold that falls off, you shouldn't get any fees. But I also switched from a regular bank to a credit union simply because the credit union doesn't charge a fee if I go into my overdraft (I would get charged interest if it wasn't paid off that month).

They could if they knew it was a potential issue. Unfortunately many people don't even know it's a potential issue until it becomes one. (And of course if they are applying for credit they may not get it.)

OK, so you have a credit card assigned to your Sign and Sale Card, right? So periodically throughout the cruise, Carnival charges your credit card for the amount you have spent thus far. However, these are just "hold" charges (not sure the correct banking term) that "fall off" in a few days.

In the mean time, on the last day, you are billed for the entire amount of the cruise. Unfortunately, the "hold charges" have not fallen off your account by then and if you don't have the extra money in your account to cover the entire cost of the cruise PLUS all the holds you are in deep poo!

Luckily, we have had the money in the bank to cover such nonsense but I wonder how many other people have been caught off guard by this practice?

This is precisely why it's not a good idea to use a debit card to pay for the cruise. At least with a credit card they're playing with the issuing bank's money.

I use credit cards for every purchase that I make. Then I pay off the cards at the end of the month. I gain points and nobody has access to my bank account. Hold charges are then a non issue.

(This isn't just for cruises, I do it all year long.)

I do the same - always (no exceptions). It makes life much simpler.

Edited by Got2GoGo

We have one credit card that we use for everything at home. That includes monthly bills ie cable tv, electric etc.

We also have two credit cards issued by different banks that we use when we travel. Before we leave on vacation I notify the credit card company where we will be traveling. My wife carries one card and I the other. If one is ever lost or stolen we would notify that card company and continue our trip with the other.

Each of the travel cards have a credit limit that will more than cover the trip. The cards we use for travel also have cash advance and no foreign transaction fees. Also the cards have Chip technology that offers global acceptance and enhanced security.

It makes zero sense to use cash or a debit card - especially on travel-related items such as hotels and car rentals. Who wants security holds eating into your actual cash, even if only for a few days? You should only use credit cards.

Even someone with horrible credit can get a secured credit card, and those who can't seem to control themselves with plastic can request that the issuing bank reduce their credit limit to an amount they are comfortable with.

Plus, with all of the rewards credit cards out there, you are throwing money away using cash or debit. Last year I got a $2300 check from Chase for the amount I charged on their card. I have it set up so it is paid off in full every month from my checking account. That is free money to me for doing nothing. Of course I'm not going to turn it down by using other forms of payment.

I use credit cards for every purchase that I make. Then I pay off the cards at the end of the month. I gain points and nobody has access to my bank account. Hold charges are then a non issue.

Me too! Works for me!;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Same here. I use my Discover card all the time because of the 5% cash back. I charged my Princess cruise and when I got the bill, Discover gave me a $30 credit plus an additional 5%. If you keep your balance at $0 it shouldn't be an issue as to using your CC as your sale and sign. I always call the CC company when we are taking a vacation so there won't be any issues with the charges.

Just a suggestion...

Hold are handled by your bank, NOT Carnival or any other vendor. The bank decides how long they stay on when the final charge comes in. My travel card is a Chase Sapphire and they immediately remove the holds when the final charge comes in. But even if yours doesn't, many banks will remove them if you call the customer service number on the card and request it. So if there is a concern that you need the available credit that a hold may tie up, call your bank before you go and ask about it. Ask how long the hold time is once the final charge arrives. Ask if you can request to have it removed sooner by calling.

If your bank refuses to remove holds in an acceptable time, get a different card if you are able.

I use my credit card for my cruise .. Some of my cards' features include trip insurance if I pay for the trip with the card, and also if I rent a car, it provides car insurance. On top of all that, I get air miles. :D

If they've held $1000 and then run a final bill for $1100 and you only have $1000 in the bank (or any amount below $2100) your account will overdraw until the hold is released.

Different strokes for different folks as far as debit vs credit vs cash debate goes. What other people do in this regard doesn't impact me.

Still doesn't matter. The account with show negative, but they can't charge you NSF fees based on a hold. Only if you spend more than you have and the final charge is more than you have in the bank. The holds don't count.

For instance, if I have $1000 in my account. They hold $900, and the final charge is $900. You still technically have $100 in your account, and will not be charged an NSF fee. Holds usually fall off after several days anyway.

Still doesn't matter. The account with show negative, but they can't charge you NSF fees based on a hold. Only if you spend more than you have and the final charge is more than you have in the bank. The holds don't count.

For instance, if I have $1000 in my account. They hold $900, and the final charge is $900. You still technically have $100 in your account, and will not be charged an NSF fee. Holds usually fall off after several days anyway.

They may not be able to do that in your state, but this isn't the case in other states (unless the law has changed recently of course). I have certainly read about people receiving just such a fee in the past year or so. In any event it is probably wise to check with one's bank before leaving to find out exactly how they handle it and plan accordingly.

They may not be able to do that in your state, but this isn't the case in other states (unless the law has changed recently of course). I have certainly read about people receiving just such a fee in the past year or so. In any event it is probably wise to check with one's bank before leaving to find out exactly how they handle it and plan accordingly.

Interesting. Yeah, I know for a fact that (at least in California) they can't charge your an NSF fee unless the charge is actually completed. Holds or authorizations don't count.

Not only does dljones say credit card several times when he means debit card, but the real puzzle is how he/she could possible have over 380 posts and not have read about this over and over again on CC. Or in fact how any adult could not know the difference.

I fully understand why using a debit card has a lot of negatives. But why not a credit card? Perhaps you object to getting up to 2% of your total charges back in cash, but I can not imagine why.

Why do people become so mean on these boards? It seems it is always the posters who are very seasoned ....:(

Edited by cruisemama1

Why do people become so mean on these boards? It seems it is always the posters who are very seasoned ....:(

I agree with your comment. Lighten up people. When someone asks advice, or a question, I doubt they want to be lectured or chastised for it. Geesh.

Ok, trying to understand, dljones.

In your post #1, you said credit card in your title and in the post itself. In your post #6, you said debit card. So, are you talking about credit cards or debit cards?

Debit Cards... but not being a banker, I usually refer to them as credit cards, like all facial tissue is Kleenex. :o