What is it REALLY like onboard

I am wanting to know what it is really like onboard.

Movement of the ship, especially at night when trying to sleep.

How rough does the sea have to be, to notice the movement when walking around the decks.

I am going on rhapsody (incase size really does matter in this case)

How many of you have suffered sea sickness, if you did suffer sea sickness, was it rough seas?

The first cruise we went on we took motion sickness pills before we boarded after that we've never used them. The first day you'll see people walking down the hall's looking a little drunk (maybe they are but probably not). Don't fell it to bad at night but that all depends on where your room is and which level. Hope that helps

Honestly, you just never know. Most cruises, I have been fine even in rough weather. But there have been times, for unknown reasons why I would feel not so hot. My experience is take bonine as prescribed two to three days before getting on ship and then regularly throughout. No side effects. Works wonders and you will not have to worry at all. Do not take dramamine because it causes extreme drowsiness. Would not rely on natural remedies, even if they do work. To be sure without worry that's my recommendation.:D

I find that I get my best sleep on a ship. Sometimes there is just some gentle rocking that lulls me to sleep.

Even if there is some gentle movement during the day, I tend to just adapt to it. I haven't been sea sick yet (knock wood).

I am wanting to know what it is really like onboard.

Movement of the ship, especially at night when trying to sleep.

How rough does the sea have to be, to notice the movement when walking around the decks.

I am going on rhapsody (incase size really does matter in this case)

How many of you have suffered sea sickness, if you did suffer sea sickness, was it rough seas?

Rhapsody is a Vision class so one of the smaller ships in the fleet. Motion shows up sooner on a smaller ship. Two meter seas would be about the point I'd notice, but it wouldn't be a bother. Unless you are vulnerable to motion sickness, it probably won't bother you either.

At night, unless the waves roll me out of bed (highly highly unlikely), that just a nice rock to sleep.

We did encounter 3 meter seas out of Aruba last year on Vision OTS and I will say that about half of the second seating diners didn't show up. That's some decent motion at that point. Things weren't flying around, but you had some fun walking.

Edited by Darkwolfe

I am prone to motion sickness and have never had an issue on a cruise. On my first cruise, I packed scopalomine and wore it the first day only. That being said, I have only had a few instances of "rough seas" and I am sure that was nothing compared to wait others have experienced.

Out of 10 cruises, there has only been one time in which both my hubby and I got sea sick. It was the second day of the cruise and we were passing the tail end of a tropical depression and the seas were a bit rough that day. Plus, our stateroom was at the back of the ship. Strangely enough, this was our honeymoon cruise.

Even the "small" ships are big. Movement is minimal. Of course if you are sensitive you might still feel queasy. I've never been in any kind of big seas or storms though. I kind of hope to run into some bad weather sometime. It seems like fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse all the typos.

I find that I get my best sleep on a ship. Sometimes there is just some gentle rocking that lulls me to sleep.

I sleep so very well on a ship, Its wonderful!

For less motion, book a cabin mid ship on a lower deck.

Exactly.

We have hit rough seas twice. The first time wasn't all that noticeable if you were just walking around, but I got some awesome footage of the water sloshing out of the swimming pools. Last year we hit some REALLY bad seas. There was literally no way to stand still. You would have to side step to the left a few feet to keep upright and then to the right as the ship bobbed. Walking was a real challenge. It was a lot of fun to meet someone in the halls. Lets just say you became really close friends fast! :eek: This seems to be status quo for Grandeur though. It seems the path she takes to get back to port has rough seas or something.

Bring appropriate meds (we too use bonine) and the wrist things and ginger. It is likely you won't need any of it, but if it makes you feel better about cruising it is worth the space in your suitcase.

It doesn't bother me at all, but my wife gets horrible motion sickness. Planes, trains, automobiles, or cruise ships; doesn't matter.

Everyone has their own tolerance. Although motion is less on a mid-ship lower deck, a balcony is a wonderful thing; cool air does wonders. She tends to do meclizine twice a day, starting 2-3 days before the cruise. There is a mild sedative effect in some people (including her), but the pre-load tends to solve that problem for her.

If you are prone to problems on the aforementioned planes, trains, and automobiles, there's a reasonable probability you'll have some problems on a cruise ship. Ideally, talk to your doctor, but meclizine does wonders for most people.

My wife did try scopolamine for one cruise, and even though it's not really reported in the literature, she found a major rebound effect towards the end of the third day (usually recommended to change every three days), and has no desire to try that again.

There is always motion; sometimes you notice it, sometimes you don't. For me, I actually have "phantom motion" for a day or so after returning; my bed rocks at night in my stationary home!

Unfortunately, this is one of those areas where your mileage may vary!

There are so many variables....size of the ship, weather, open seas or protected waters, cabin location.

I always bring Bonnine, ginger snaps, crackers and my magic bullet....my Jim. He has NEVER seen even a white cap in all his cruising----Even the 13 day Explorer cruise from Bayonne in December. I spent months preparing him for the "North Atlantic in December". It was a lake in both directions.

For me, I'm lucky. I get sleepy in any kind of big sea so I just fall asleep.

No one can really say......even from week to week.

Prepare for rough seas and celebrate when they are calm!

My oldest daughter (26) is a terrible sleeper and we were just discussing how well we sleep when in an inside cabin between the dark and the ships movement we sleep really well! I am prone to car sickness and forget amusement park rides or even going around in a circle a couple times, but have been very fortunate about not getting sick while cruising! I have got a little dizzy and staggered around a few times but nothing bad, the seas were extremely rough one night while in Alaska and you were not supposed to be out on the decks. I actually tried the patch behind the ear and it gave me one of the worst headaches so have never tried it again! Overall you very rarely feel much movement and it's not bothersome.

If you don't obsess about being seasick, you probably won't be. Relax, and enjoy your cruise. Yes, there will be some motion, but it's nothing to get sick about. Practice looking at the dashboard in a car, while someone else drives on a windy route. That way, your brain will be accustomed to the input from your eyes not matching the input from the motion sensors in your inner ear. it's really easy to train your brain to avoid motion sickness, so just put a little effort into it, and you can enjoy a cruise no matter what the sea conditions are like.

Like you I was really worried about seasickness but once on board I was fine. During the day you don't notice any movement. Our cabin on the Rhapsody was on Deck 2 (down low) and midships. In bed at night, yes we felt movement but it was nice movement - a gently rocking - honestly it rocks you to sleep. My son who gets carsick, never got seasick and slept really well for the 9 nights we were on board. I slept really well too.

Time of year and cruise route can make a difference. Where and when are you cruising?

So far we have never had an issue with the movement. It is after the cruise that things get strange with the phantom movement. After one cruise it lasted more than a week. The bed felt like it was moving and when I would stand still I would start to sway. It ended up being quite comical. We take the meds the night before departure and maybe the first day and then put them away. For some people the alcohol can act as a counter balance to the movement of the ship and walking. :D

So far we have never had an issue with the movement. It is after the cruise that things get strange with the phantom movement. After one cruise it lasted more than a week. The bed felt like it was moving and when I would stand still I would start to sway. It ended up being quite comical. We take the meds the night before departure and maybe the first day and then put them away. For some people the alcohol can act as a counter balance to the movement of the ship and walking. :D

Yes, I got this after the cruise too. It only affected my walking though. I walked like a drunk for three days and then I was back to normal. I was fine in bed - no swaying at all.

So far we have never had an issue with the movement. It is after the cruise that things get strange with the phantom movement. After one cruise it lasted more than a week. The bed felt like it was moving and when I would stand still I would start to sway. It ended up being quite comical.

I love that feeling! My partner and I enjoy watching each other sway with the ocean in Colorado when we get home. It usually stops around 2-3 days after a cruise. It might be us, but we tend to not notice it as much as our number of cruises increases. It always helps to counter-act that feeling by researching the next cruise you booked on board!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D

My husband is prone to sea sickness and is also afraid of heights...he can't even ride the glass elevators. We just got back from a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale and noticed that the ship travelled slower than the ones out of Galveston. Slower means less movement. We always book inside rooms mid ship and mid level... decks 7 - 9. He had NO sickness at all on this last cruise. When he does, he takes Bonine.

There is always motion; sometimes you notice it, sometimes you don't. For me, I actually have "phantom motion" for a day or so after returning; my bed rocks at night in my stationary home!

Yes, I got this after the cruise too. It only affected my walking though. I walked like a drunk for three days and then I was back to normal. I was fine in bed - no swaying at all.

Yeah, we get the "land sickness" thing after a cruise too. It was super wonky last year. We were on the Grandeur repositioning, so we flew to Puerto Rico, then 9 days on the ship with the last two being sea days and then we got off the ship an hour from home. Being solidly at sea for two days and then in our home a few hours later really screwed us up! We were "drunk" for days! :eek:

Yeah, we get the "land sickness" thing after a cruise too. It was super wonky last year. We were on the Grandeur repositioning, so we flew to Puerto Rico, then 9 days on the ship with the last two being sea days and then we got off the ship an hour from home. Being solidly at sea for two days and then in our home a few hours later really screwed us up! We were "drunk" for days! :eek:

It's called Mal de Debarquement, similar to vertigo. Weirdly, I have the problem on land, am fine when I'm on the ship, but do have the after effects like you do when I get home.