Best Time to Board w/Delayed Boarding

So, the Grandeur has a delayed boarding tomorrow so that they can sanitize after an outbreak of (I'm assuming) noro. So instead of boarding starting at 10am it now starts at 2pm until 4:30. When is the best time to check in? Will it be swamped right at 2 because of the delay?

There will be many who arrive at the port early regardless of if they know about the delay or not. I would definitely not arrive at 2pm as it will likely be a bit chaotic. Your best options would be to arrive early at 1 or late at 3:30. Baltimore is not the nicest port to sail from but it is convenient. When we went out of Baltimore last year on Enchantment they were a bit slow processing people through but should be better by now.

So, the Grandeur has a delayed boarding tomorrow so that they can sanitize after an outbreak of (I'm assuming) noro. So instead of boarding starting at 10am it now starts at 2pm until 4:30. When is the best time to check in? Will it be swamped right at 2 because of the delay?

A bit off topic and not criticizing, but to me, the word "outbreak" implies a large number. Perhaps a recent cruiser can define what actually occurred on board, but extra sanitation precautions occur when 6 staterooms result in isolation due to a reported illness - not necessarily confrmed as noro. This is defined as a "Stage 2" precaution. But having perhaps 12 or so reported ill passengers out of 2,400 is a very small number.

Stronger sanitation wipes are handed out in the Windjammer, the dining rooms, lounges, and other public areas - including hand railings, elevator buttons, etc., - are cleaned more thoroughly than normal after hours. Sometimes this can carry over to turnover day as well with extra inspections and cleaning. It is preventative and is a basically a stepped up cleaning,

This occurred on our recent Independence cruise - not sure if it resulted in a boarding delay for the next cruise, however. But it was a relatively minor situation which can apparently occur relatively often given the low threshold of reported illness to trigger the added measures.

As I mentioned, perhaps someone from that last Grandeur cruise can confirm what extent of an issue they had on board, but the extra sanitizing may only be the result of reaching Stage Two from hitting the 6 stateroom level.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

A bit off topic and not criticizing, but to me, the word "outbreak" implies a large number. P

Was going to apologize for using the word outbreak. But, then I found this on the CDC's website in regards to this particular sailing. "In response to the outbreak, Royal Caribbean Cruise Line and the crew aboard the ship are taking the following actions:..."

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2014/april5_grandeur_seas.htm

A bit off topic and not criticizing, but to me, the word "outbreak" implies a large number. Perhaps a recent cruiser can define what actually occurred on board, but extra sanitation precautions occur when 6 staterooms result in isolation due to a reported illness - not necessarily confrmed as noro. This is defined as a "Stage 2" precaution. But having perhaps 12 or so reported ill passengers out of 2,400 is a very small number.

Stronger sanitation wipes are handed out in the Windjammer, the dining rooms, lounges, and other public areas - including hand railings, elevator buttons, etc., - are cleaned more thoroughly than normal after hours. Sometimes this can carry over to turnover day as well with extra inspections and cleaning. It is preventative and is a basically a stepped up cleaning,

This occurred on our recent Independence cruise - not sure if it resulted in a boarding delay for the next cruise, however. But it was a relatively minor situation which can apparently occur relatively often given the low threshold of reported illness to trigger the added measures.

As I mentioned, perhaps someone from that last Grandeur cruise can confirm what extent of an issue they had on board, but the extra sanitizing may only be the result of reaching Stage Two from hitting the 6 stateroom level.

I think with recent issues of passengers getting sick (on other ships) they are going the extra mile to prevent this from affecting the passengers sailing tomorrow. I am one of them! 111 reported passengers is a lot and it can get worse very quickly.

Investigation Update on the Grandeur of the Seas

Cruise Line: Royal Caribbean Cruise Line

Cruise Ship: Grandeur of the Seas

Voyage Dates: March 28 - April 5, 2014

Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 111 of 2122 (5.23%)

Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 6 of 790 (0.76%)

Predominant symptoms: Vomiting, diarrhea

Causative agent: Unknown

I think with recent issues of passengers getting sick (on other ships) they are going the extra mile to prevent this from affecting the passengers sailing tomorrow. I am one of them! 111 reported passengers is a lot and it can get worse very quickly.

Investigation Update on the Grandeur of the Seas

Cruise Line: Royal Caribbean Cruise Line

Cruise Ship: Grandeur of the Seas

Voyage Dates: March 28 - April 5, 2014

Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 111 of 2122 (5.23%)

Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 6 of 790 (0.76%)

Predominant symptoms: Vomiting, diarrhea

Causative agent: Unknown

Wow - thanks for the update! Certainly more than the amount required triggering the extra sanitizing. Sorry to hear of the situation but appreciative of the facts.