Qyalifications of Spa Personnel

AndyTheK

For the last ten years I have had a wonderful massage therapist work on me once a week - it has saved my back on two separate occasions. I will be cruising this June (and also next February-Match) for 28 consecutive days. Up until now, on shorter cruises, I have not used the services at the spa. But this trip, I've been thinking of having one massage at the two-week point.

I know the price is about double what it costs here at home. Not the issue.

What I would like to know is whether the massage personnel are certified, or licensed in any way. Here in Israel, all massage therapists (not "recreational" ones of course) must be certified, and are required to keep up to date by taking courses every so often. This applies to all parctitioners of alternative medicine as well.

IOW if the spa people on board just can hang out a shingle and call themselves "therapists" I'll pass on the massage.

BTW I will be 100% resistant to any sales pitches. I can say NO as well as the next guy icon7.gificon7.gif

Shalom, Andy.

I think they're trained by Steiner in London: http://www.steinerleisure.com/main/Page.aspx?PageID=3042

You can read about their training there I think.

All I know is that the hair stylist I used to go to at Jose Eber said it was the worst training he ever received. He was a salon manager and said after 10 years of implementing what Steiner taught him, he went to Jose Eber and had to learn all over again to do things the 'right' way.

It may be different with the massage techs, but I know for sure they were trained by Steiner for a long time. That said, I've enjoyed my massages on Princess. They haven't been the best but are adequate enough. I found it really helps to vocalize what you want/need and try not to be nervous or anxious.

This link is much better and gives the requirements for massage therapists before they enter the Steiner Academy:

http://www.onespaworld.com/page/Global-Recruitment-Qualifications.aspx

Hope that makes you feel a little better about their qualifications.

Matter of fact, it does. I'll give the spa a try this cruise. T Thanks for your response.

Shalom, Andy.

I had one and it was ok. Not great, but not bad. I told the lady when I went I. That I "absolutely was not purchasing ANYTHING, and that the size if her tip would go down with each sales pitch". She laughed and didn't try and sell me a thing

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I, too, have frequent deep tissue massages at home. My insurance pays part, and I end up paying $25 for an hour massage. When I say deep tissue, I mean the kind where I periodically have to be reminded to breathe. Anyways, nothing I've had on a ship comes close to what I get at home- they seem more relaxation and less therapeutic- and so I haven't had one on board for a few years. I have had better luck finding someone in port at times (had an amazing massage in China for $12!).

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

There is a big difference between what I call a therapeutic massage here and what they call them on ship.

Where I used to go, relaxation was part of it, but the idea was basically to work your muscles into shape. Shipboard spas focus much more on the relaxation/comfort/stress aspect.

That doesn't mean they are bad massages, but if you expect a more physical therapy style you may be disappointed.

As far as tipping, if they add 15% I leave it at that in most cases, if the masseuse was very good I will add a few bucks. I also ask for no sales and typically get it, BUT if the masseuse is very good I ask if they get credit for sales and then OFFER to buy something as an extra tip (if I like the product)

I had one and it was ok. Not great, but not bad. I told the lady when I went I. That I "absolutely was not purchasing ANYTHING, and that the size if her tip would go down with each sales pitch". She laughed and didn't try and sell me a thing

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I love it!!!

I totally agree with those comments about the massages not being very deep tissue or therapeutic. To get ones like that, I have to go to a place at home. Those are the kinds of massages that leave me bruised and sore for days afterward, but I know they did me good.

Just tell your massage therapist onboard what you like and be very specific. You'll get a better massage that way (usually!). :)

I was not thinking of deep-tissue. Mainly brcause with a long standing program with one person working on me, my massages have become highly tailored to my particular situation (varies with tine), and I wouldn't want someone unfamiliar with me working that technique. Of course a straight Swedish would be more "relaxing" as you put it. But since I'd go in with that expectation, I would not be disappointed.