How does internet/wifi work on board?

rene194215

This may seem like a stupid question, but I am not sure.... On my solo cruise I want to still be able to contact back home so I thought I would being my tablet. It is not hooked up though a cell carrier, it only has wifi capability. I just want to make sure that if I was to buy a internet package, that I would be ok using this to either use Tango or Facetime. I have my phone as well but I am not planning on using that for anything really.

Thanks for any input!!

I agree with trying to wait until your in port and find a internet café of sorts....a lot cheaper and better service....but if you need or want to hook up on the cruise you can buy a package once onboard at the internet café...your tablet should find the signal on its own or you can go to your network setup.... you will just need to put in your password you get once you choose your package

I have been able to use SKYPE with my laptop using the Carnival WiFi. I normally go for the .75 per minute with a 3.95 initial hookup. I have to check at home since my dad is 87 and lives by himself at his home. Normally I do not SKYPE but I have with my son who lives in England.

DW's brother is deaf and lives alone but uses email to communicate. So, we usually buy the 100-min package and use a notebook computer twice a day to login, check email, respond, and logoff. Each time, it takes about 7 minutes off our remaining total. By the end of the week, it is all used up. But it gives DW peace of mind by knowing he is OK.

I haven't used the ships wifi for calls, but have done so while in port with no problems. I use FaceTime, Oovoo and Skype, but I use Skype the most and Facebook messages to contact family only while on vacation. Most of the ships do have issues with being slow at times, but first thing in the morning before breakfast is the best

What about checking in for flight home - will it take long to print boarding passes? Our flight home is 4:00 the day we return to port. Like to check in 24 hrs before flight. Should we purchase a package or go minute by minute?

My opinion is that you don't need to print boarding passes prior to the flight unless you're flying Southwest. You should make it to the airport in plenty of time, and they have kiosks where you can print your pass there.

If flying on Southwest, I recommend checking out EarlyBird, which automatically checks you in 36 hours before the flight. In this case, you won't know your boarding position until you actually print out your pass - but with EarlyBird it should be A60 or better, which should get you a good selection of seats.

Hello,

I have brought wifi-only tablets on Carnival ships in the past (as recently as last year). They work fine - you won't have any problems hooking up, the process is very similar to logging onto the free wifi in a hotel. The only big difference is that the service is very expensive and relatively slow. I mean it's faster than dialup, but still much slower than what you probably have at home.

One option is to bring your tablet off the ship when you're in port, and locate a place that offers free wifi. My wife and I have not done that much in the past, mainly because we didn't expect to ever need it. I've also found that many free wifi hotspots in port tend to be slow, since they have limited bandwidth and there are an awful lot of people from the cruise ships (including the staff) trying to all log in at once.

Hope this helps!! Steve