Walkie Talkie Question...

We gave up on walkie talkies years ago. We now bring our megaphones instead. They are much more effective in irritating the maximum number of people with the minimum of effort.

34_main.jpgmarketing-360x240.jpg

That is a good one. Made me think of people on cell phones. Just pretend you have a connection and talk to the family like you usually do on the cell phone...can you hear me now??? Drives me nuts in the airport on the way to the ship.

Edited by jamessemaj

• 1 month later...

It's amazing the hate for Walkie Talkies here, and the total lack of reliable information. :( I've been researching this topic for the past couple weeks, so hopefully this information will help some else.

I've been looking into buying some for our upcomming cruise because we have a young teen, and my wife has limited mobility (she can't wander around the ship looking for either of us).

There are alot of different models with different power outputs (and differnt ranges), and also different settings/channels that can affect the range, so when someone says they don't work, that's like saying a car doesn't work because it doesn't seat 7.

Basic information:

1. Most consumer walkie talkies are rated by range, anywhere from 2-35 miles. This is the best case in an open area, so the actual range for most people is at most 10% of that. Based on what I've read, you need one rated at 20 to 35 miles to be useful on the ship due to the steel walls/floors that limit the signals.

2. The better consumer Radios use both FRS and GMRS. FRS stands for Family Radio Service, and is general .5 watts or less. Cheap radios ($30/pair) are generally only FRS would not be usable on a ship due to the limited range. No license is needed for FRS, which is why it is used in cheaper radios and kids toys.

3. GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) is higher power, up to 5 watts. Any radio rated at more thn 2-5 miles is basing the rating on the GMRS channels. GMRS required a license to be legally used in the US (about $80 for a family for 5 years), but no license is needed in Canada. When you are at sea, especially in international waters, there shouldn't be an issue either.

4. The better radios have more channels and privacy codes. More channels means you have a better chance of finding an unused channel. The privacy codes do not stop others from listening in on your conversations, but you will only hear calls from other radios using the same code. This filters out others who happen to be using the same channel and limits the anoying chatter people complain about.

5. Some models even come with a vibrate option, so you can turn down the volume and not disturb others.

From what I've read, the people who say they don't work either have real cheap ones, or they are using a low power FRS channels. You need to use a GMRS channel, and on some models you also need to press the high-power talk button to transmit at the higher wattage.

I'm currently trying to decide between 2 motorola models. The smaller 23 mile model, and the slightly bigger 35 mile model. I think the smaller one would fit better in a pocket, but it doesn't have the vibrate option. Our cabin is on an upper deck, so I don't think I really need the higher range. I can get a 3 pack of the 23 mile ones for $75, and the 35 mile ones for $94, so the price difference isn't much of an issue.

It's amazing the hate for Walkie Talkies here, and the total lack of reliable information. :( I've been researching this topic for the past couple weeks, so hopefully this information will help some else.

I've been looking into buying some for our upcomming cruise because we have a young teen, and my wife has limited mobility (she can't wander around the ship looking for either of us).

There are alot of different models with different power outputs (and differnt ranges), and also different settings/channels that can affect the range, so when someone says they don't work, that's like saying a car doesn't work because it doesn't seat 7.

Basic information:

1. Most consumer walkie talkies are rated by range, anywhere from 2-35 miles. This is the best case in an open area, so the actual range for most people is at most 10% of that. Based on what I've read, you need one rated at 20 to 35 miles to be useful on the ship due to the steel walls/floors that limit the signals.

2. The better consumer Radios use both FRS and GMRS. FRS stands for Family Radio Service, and is general .5 watts or less. Cheap radios ($30/pair) are generally only FRS would not be usable on a ship due to the limited range. No license is needed for FRS, which is why it is used in cheaper radios and kids toys.

3. GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) is higher power, up to 5 watts. Any radio rated at more thn 2-5 miles is basing the rating on the GMRS channels. GMRS required a license to be legally used in the US (about $80 for a family for 5 years), but no license is needed in Canada. When you are at sea, especially in international waters, there shouldn't be an issue either.

4. The better radios have more channels and privacy codes. More channels means you have a better chance of finding an unused channel. The privacy codes do not stop others from listening in on your conversations, but you will only hear calls from other radios using the same code. This filters out others who happen to be using the same channel and limits the anoying chatter people complain about.

5. Some models even come with a vibrate option, so you can turn down the volume and not disturb others.

From what I've read, the people who say they don't work either have real cheap ones, or they are using a low power FRS channels. You need to use a GMRS channel, and on some models you also need to press the high-power talk button to transmit at the higher wattage.

I'm currently trying to decide between 2 motorola models. The smaller 23 mile model, and the slightly bigger 35 mile model. I think the smaller one would fit better in a pocket, but it doesn't have the vibrate option. Our cabin is on an upper deck, so I don't think I really need the higher range. I can get a 3 pack of the 23 mile ones for $75, and the 35 mile ones for $94, so the price difference isn't much of an issue.

Yep, that's the solution. Sit in your chair and read the manufacturer's specs and you will know so much more than experienced cruisers who have tried them and reported that they don't work well. What the heck does someone who has actual experience know, when all they had to do was look on the interweb to find out how wrong they were with how their experience actually was. :rolleyes:

With so many arm chair experts like you out there, who needs actual experience!?!?!?!?

Edited by boogs

Yep, that's the solution. Sit in your chair and read the manufacturer's specs and you will know so much more than experienced cruisers who have tried them and reported that they don't work well. What the heck does someone who has actual experience know, when all they had to do was look on the interweb to find out how wrong they were with how their experience actually was. :rolleyes:

With so many arm chair experts like you out there, who needs actual experience!?!?!?!?

Actually I've been reading the comments of real cruisers who have actually used radios on cruise ships, and then looked up up the models they used to try and figure out what works.

The biggest problem was filtering out all the threads of people complaining about others using them :)

Besides the irritation level (of those around you) and the fact that many who have tried have reported that they don't work that well or at all (and remember that only a percentage of regular cruisers are on Cruise Critic), there are better ways to establish communications on board.

If you have a young teen, you're going to be giving him or her some rules to follow (I would hope), and one would be to call the cabin from one of the many courtesy phones that are scattered about most ships. Leave a message that "hey, mom, I'm leaving the teen center right now with Bill and Lisa. We're getting some lunch from the buffet." If your teen doesn't check in every once in a while, they will be given a new companion: you.

You can leave notes for each other -- that's what the three of us did. On our last cruise, usually I knew my hubby might be in the gym or playing his guitar in Skywalkers. I would be by the pool watching a movie, in the buffet for lunch with a crossword puzzle, or taking a hula lesson. Our teen would be by the pool (she likes movies too), up by the ping pong table, or in the buffet with her group of friends.

You'll undoubtedly also run into each other even when not trying to find each other.

Actually I've been reading the comments of real cruisers who have actually used radios on cruise ships, and then looked up up the models they used to try and figure out what works.

I read many such comments as well, and the trend is about 25 to 1 reporting they do not work well. Personally, I would not waste my money on a 1 in 25 chance something will work.

The biggest problem was filtering out all the threads of people complaining about others using them :)

Yes, do ignore those comments from people bothered by them. After all, it's YOUR vacation, so who cares what they think! No reason to be considerate towards everyone else. :rolleyes:

I read many such comments as well, and the trend is about 25 to 1 reporting they do not work well. Personally, I would not waste my money on a 1 in 25 chance something will work.

Yes, do ignore those comments from people bothered by them. After all, it's YOUR vacation, so who cares what they think! No reason to be considerate towards everyone else. :rolleyes:

Based on other posts I've read, it's more like 50/50 with the better radios and the correct channels, not 1 in 25.

If people are bothered by someone using a radio, for a few seconds 2-3 times a day to locate someone, then they must surely be bother by the uncountable variety of rude behavior I encountered on my last cruise. Might be better if they just stay in their room and leave us peaceful folk alone. :p

Based on other posts I've read, it's more like 50/50 with the better radios and the correct channels, not 1 in 25.

If people are bothered by someone using a radio, for a few seconds 2-3 times a day to locate someone, then they must surely be bother by the uncountable variety of rude behavior I encountered on my last cruise. Might be better if they just stay in their room and leave us peaceful folk alone. :p

Stay in that fantasy world you live in. Ignorance is certainly bliss, right? Many, many more people have reported on the many, many treads on this same topic that these devices do NOT work well and they were nearly useless. You clearly are ignoring all those posts, obviously because they don't support your beliefs.

Of course, to you EVERYBODY else is an idiot who MUST cater to YOUR demands. Or they should just disappear to their rooms for your convenience. The entitlement mentality at it's worst.

Perhaps that rude behavior you encountered on your last cruise was from people fed up with your self centered attitude? :rolleyes:

Edited by SantaFeFan

I take a small white board (any office supply store) and use it either in cabin or on hall door if traveling with others in different cabins. An easy way to let someone know where you are at.

Walkie talkies are a cruise etiquette DON'T. ;)

They aren't gonna transmit through four decks the length of the ship.

They ARE gonna annoy people as you shout into them in the vain hope that your party will be able to hear and respond, all the while dealing with nincompoops on the same channel complaing that they only hear you even though they are twenty feet away-across the pool.

Save your money.

And herein lies the problem. Yes, there are most likely some Walkie-talkies that are better than others. Usually the pricier ones. However, someone else coming here is only going to read "Walkie-talkies" and go out and buy the cheapest (or almost so) set to use onboard, that don't work and make those around the offending Walkie-talkie user irate.

Yes, I've been next to some one shouting into his Walkie-talkie ---

"What!?"

Skreech, zzzzz, goingbuzz

"WHAT????"

ERRRKKK, SSSSSSSSSdrink< hiss, beep

"WHERE ARE YOU? CAN YOU HEAR ME?"

(staticcccccccccccc)

Yes, makes me want to take the thing and toss it overboard. Unfortunately, all I can do is move. So the Walkie-talkie user wins.

They aren't gonna transmit through four decks the length of the ship.

They ARE gonna annoy people as you shout into them in the vain hope that your party will be able to hear and respond, all the while dealing with nincompoops on the same channel complaing that they only hear you even though they are twenty feet away-across the pool.

Save your money.

You are so right about this. Radio waves are not very effective at penetrating through metal walls. It's simple physics that any junior high school science student would know. A ship is made almost entirely of metal. It's walls, floors, ceilings, doors are all made of metal. The radio waves of even the best and most expensive radios will be blocked when trying to penetrate through several layers of metal. They will only penetrate so far, and even this is possible only if the signals find openings in the metal that may happen to be in the line of sight. Anyone with even a lick of common sense would realize this simple fact.

The radios the crews use on ships use antennas placed all over the ship to overcome that limitation.

Edited by fortinweb

OP would be best served to consult the laws and regulations concerning the use of the radio frequencies of the country in which his ship is flagged. And of course only use the radio, if the country permits it, with permission of the captain.

What is really needed is some sort of text-only vibrate-only device that works onboard ships, like a pager with text capability. Perhaps hooked into the ships internal network. The devices could be rented out by the cruise lines to family groups that needed to stay in contact with each other.

That's sort of device shouldn't annoy anyone - except perhaps the teenager who is getting hassled by Mom. :D

What is really needed is some sort of text-only vibrate-only device that works onboard ships, like a pager with text capability. Perhaps hooked into the ships internal network. The devices could be rented out by the cruise lines to family groups that needed to stay in contact with each other.

That's sort of device shouldn't annoy anyone - except perhaps the teenager who is getting hassled by Mom. :D

They have this on Disney Cruise Lines. It's called a Wave Phone.

Actually one cruise line already has an "APP" and Carnival was testing something similar on one of their new ships. I'm sure this would require an upgrade to their WiFi (especially with the voice support), but this would be a great solution. I'd be happy with just being able to text someone else.

If I was worried about the kids losing an expensive phone, there are cheap 4" android tablets (<$50) that could be used.

Costa Cruises just launched “MyCosta Mobile,” a new application for smartphones and tablets that enables Costa guests to call and phone each other while cruising onboard its 14 ships with unlimited talk and text at no cost.

Free to download and register, before sailing, guests download the application from the Apple, Android or Google Play store and install it on their smartphone or tablet. Once onboard, simply connect to the ship’s Wi-Fi network, register and launch the app.

Perhaps that rude behavior you encountered on your last cruise was from people fed up with your self centered attitude? :rolleyes:

So I guess all the chair hogs around the pool, the people pushing little old ladies out of the way so they could get on the elevator first, and the drunk 20 somethings coming into the buffet and sitting by several families with young kids while loudly using 4 letter word is my fault? :rolleyes:

I've already decided to get the radios, as they will be useful for what we will be doing before and after the cruise. I'll give them a try on the ship, and if they don't work, we'll figure something else out. I decided to get the ones that vibrate, so as not to disturb any overly sensitive people. And no, I won't be yelling into them as that doesn't increase the range. :rolleyes:

After the cruise I'll come back here and let people know if they don't work, only work sometime, or if they work great. Lets just consider this a scientific experiment/field test.

FYI: You don't know me at all. In fact I’m so self centered, I got off the elevator, gave my spot to that old lady and took the stairs for the last 2 decks. :eek: