Who else does this?

What would I need for luggage? I think 5 pieces would be too much. I'm thinking one BIG one for clothes, one for toiletries, curling irons, straighteners, makeup set shoes etc? Then one carry on? I always always over pack, I just can't help it. Even on camping trips I end up over packing. The last trip I took I decided to pack way less and ended up not having enough. I'd rather over pack and have too much then not enough.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

We have FINALLY got it down to just 2 bags and 2 carryon pieces for a 10 day cruise. Course we no longer do the formal night dressing at all and go eat elsewhere on the ship on formal nights as hubby is soooo over the dressing up bit. Not having to pack the formal clothes eliminates the 1 suitor bag. Group of us where just talking about this on fb the other night.

What would I need for luggage? I think 5 pieces would be too much. I'm thinking one BIG one for clothes, one for toiletries, curling irons, straighteners, makeup set shoes etc? Then one carry on? I always always over pack, I just can't help it. Even on camping trips I end up over packing. The last trip I took I decided to pack way less and ended up not having enough. I'd rather over pack and have too much then not enough.

When shopping for luggage the WEIGHT of the suitcase is now very important. I have a carry on that weighs about 8 pounds empty! My suitcase is around 15 pounds. The wheels are also an issue. Next time I fly for a cruise I'll need to buy new ones.

If you plan on traveling a lot make sure you get the latest and greatest. Go into a store (like Costco or Target) and check out what type you really like. Lift it up. If you only get 50 pounds to your suitcase and the suitcase is a 1/4 of that the size is irrelevant.

A lot of people like the 4 wheel type as they can handle it easier.

Some airlines allow 1 free checked bag while others don't. Will depend on which airline you use. Cost can be anywhere from $25-$75 so it pays to shop around. Notentirelynormal is spot on regarding the luggage. Stick with soft-sided if you can as they weigh lots less than the hard sided ones. There is a 50 # weight limited per bag..if you go over you have to either remove items and place elsewhere or pay the upcharge for overweight. 4 wheels indeed is the way to go. Much smoother transportation.

Edited by MamaTene

Thanks for the info.

I have been checking for flights down to Orlando and cannot believe how ridiculously expensive they are right now. I almost fell over. I would have thought sailing in January prices would be a heck of a lot cheaper than spring break prices. Although I'm still 284 days out most airlines are not even available yet.

Southwest is usually who I use because prices are so cheap. Jet blue is also someone real cheap. But their schedules only fly out till October.

The cheapest I found was $480 per person. I'd rather take the train for $225.

As above, for luggage check the weight and quality of the wheels. Some of the "5-piece" on ebay etc. will "crash" after one trip. I have a 30" that weighs only 7 pounds. Irv's luggage has served us well

As for shopping - I have a Ross & Marshall's next door to each other, In the same location where I grocery shop *sigh*...

I do buy Tennis Skorts on ebay! Addidas etc - comfy, no wrinkles, fast-dry, and look a little "dressy", also lightweight in the suitcase

Skorts are my favorite and like you wear the spandex type shorts under my sundresses as this old lady has too much junk in the trunk!! Also love the long freeflowing halter style sundresses for dinners in the dining rooms. All the above are light weight and travel well

TropicalIslandGirl..when exactly are you cruising? We set sail on Feb 7-17 2015 and I ALREADY have started planning and making lists! OCD here as you can tell. Friend request me on fb if you want..Chris Scarpitti Bobich Bloomer....

I have been checking for flights down to Orlando and cannot believe how ridiculously expensive they are right now. I almost fell over. I would have thought sailing in January prices would be a Although I'm still 284 days out most airlines are not even available yet.

All airlines but JetBlue and Southwest release their schedules about 330 days in advance. Almost all airlines charge for checked bags for a domestic flight.

Since my cruise isn't until about 10 months from now, and summer clothing won't quite be out in the stores yet when I actually need to start shopping, I'm finding myself buying clothes for my trip already. Since my wardrobe is nothing but jeans, sweatshirts and tees.

anyone else do this?

We will be sailing in January, and I have definitely started to look for cruise clothes. :) I will probably really start purchasing in July when summer sales start.

I never thought of that actually.

They charge for checked bags now too, right? Or is it just some airlines?

Is there a weight limit per suit case? And what happens if your over the limit?

The price for checked bags depends which airline you are flying. Southwest you get 2 checked bags for free. Others charge $20-25 per bag. And your checked bag needs weigh under 50 lbs. or they charge you for every lb over 50. :eek:

Well I'll have to book with southwest unless I find something much cheaper to fluctuate the cost of checked bags

We will be flying southwest because we have points for a free flight. I am trying to wait patiently until June-July so we can book. :rolleyes:

I have also heard that the best time to purchase airline tickets is between 70 - 100 days before your trip on a Tuesday. I don't know if that is true or not though. :confused:

I have heard that the Tuesday deals are unreal. Its cheaper to purchase on a Tuesday and if you fly on a Tuesday even better. My friend just flew down to Orlando Florida with her two kids for under $600 for all three people. Paid on a Tuesday and flew out on a Tuesday. Unreal!

I have also heard the 100 days out thing too. I figured I'd look around Sept to October. Figured looking at tickets in November would be really pricey.

I usually buy spandex style shorts and wear under my sun dresses. I hate chub rub. Lol

Skorts seem like a great idea to me

Gold Bond has a friction rub in a tube that looks similar to deodorant and it's great. I actually found it in a cvs or walgreens in Key West. Hopefully the photo attaches.

ImageUploadedByForums1396826385.343938.jpg.a08b8e083a9cf7bf306614a4db8e972f.jpg

Neither did I but it works wonders. I knew bandaid had a friction block but it's about $15 for a stick a tenth the size of this. This one was about $5. You can google it and find it online.