Crown Princess mahjong tiles provided?

MomC

does anyone know who has sailed on the Crown Princess recently if the game room has Mahjong tiles for use? We have a group sailing in October that would like to play and needs to know if they are provided or if they need to bring them. Thanks in advance for your help.

Mom C

does anyone know who has sailed on the Crown Princess recently if the game room has Mahjong tiles for use? We have a group sailing in October that would like to play and needs to know if they are provided or if they need to bring them. Thanks in advance for your help.

Mom C

On every Princess ship we have been on they have had 5 or 6 sets in the Library

On every Princess ship we have been on they have had 5 or 6 sets in the Library

OMGosh this has just made my day! :) Is there a way to get people you don't know together to have a game or two of mahjong?

Have met many interesting people through playing mahjong on board. You could approach the Cruise Director or a member of his staff and ask that mahjong be mentioned in the Patter. Usually they will oblige if the cruise has quite a few sea days. If your ship has a games room, you could wander through on the first sea day to see who is playing or looking to play. The newer ships do not have a games room, a place to play has to be found and the cruise staff will organize this. I have played on deck if weather permits, in a corner of a dining room, and in one of the specialty restaurants. I see you are from Australia, which mahjong do you play? I have always played the American rules which uses a card. Usually there are some Chinese aboard who play their version which does not need a card. The mahjong sets have always been American, but I have seen people adapt them for the game they play.

Really??? I had no idea that they had mj sets on board. I brought my card on the last cruise hoping someone would have a set. Those sets can be expensive and tiles can go missing so easily. Good to know for next time.

Have met many interesting people through playing mahjong on board. You could approach the Cruise Director or a member of his staff and ask that mahjong be mentioned in the Patter. Usually they will oblige if the cruise has quite a few sea days. If your ship has a games room, you could wander through on the first sea day to see who is playing or looking to play. The newer ships do not have a games room, a place to play has to be found and the cruise staff will organize this. I have played on deck if weather permits, in a corner of a dining room, and in one of the specialty restaurants. I see you are from Australia, which mahjong do you play? I have always played the American rules which uses a card. Usually there are some Chinese aboard who play their version which does not need a card. The mahjong sets have always been American, but I have seen people adapt them for the game they play.

Thank you so much shipscat :) I do not know anything about cards, so maybe my Grandmother taught me Chinese mahjong? But not sure. But I don't care which version, as just to play after all these years will be great fun and interesting to learn.

Some ships have signup sheets in the library.

Thank you Pia 1913 :)

Hi- I have had wonderful afternoons playing Mah Jong on many of the Princess ships. I always bring my card or 2 and sign up in the library ( there is a sign up book for those interested in card games etc.). Then in a day or 2 check back and see if you have a foursome and call the different cabins and put it together! The Mah Jong sets need to be checked as sometimes they are missing tiles. But they always have at least 5 or 6 sets. I've met people form all over the world.

In the US, there is a mahjongg league that publishes new cards each year; usually in March. Some "hands" stay the same; others change.

Chinese MJ does not have numbers on their tiles like we do; they just identify them by design. Theirs is more difficult to identify, but their game is easier. And boring, because it's more or less played the same way every hand.

In the US, there is a mahjongg league that publishes new cards each year; usually in March. Some "hands" stay the same; others change.

Chinese MJ does not have numbers on their tiles like we do; they just identify them by design. Theirs is more difficult to identify, but their game is easier. And boring, because it's more or less played the same way every hand.

I play both American and Chinese. You can easily play Chinese with an American set, that has the numbers on them. The biggest difference is that Chinese is played with 4 jokers and 4 flowers, while American has 8 of each. Just remove the extras from your American set and you're good to go!

I don't find Chinese to be boring; actually, I find it more interesting if you actually try to play the patterns and points that Chinese has. Since each can vary (high numbers, low numbers, ladders, etc.), it's harder to play defensively, as you can't always tell which hand someone is playing just by their exposures.

But I'll play either or both on any cruise!

When we first started MJ, they played with 14 flowers and 2 jokers. Now it's 8 and 8. So many variables. I learned chinese version in China. I've never been a MJ addict like so many I know. I still play, but spoadically.

Kjets: if you have not played with a card and are Australian, chances are you played the Chinese version. I was introduced to Mahjong in Australia, and it was that version.

American version is quite different, but you should be able to pick it up. You are no meant to copy the American card, but sometimes people bring extras! Hope you get to play!

American version is quite different, but you should be able to pick it up. You are no meant to copy the American card, but sometimes people bring extras! Hope you get to play!

BRING EXTRA"'S I say people...bring extras! LOL :D