Titanium and Ship Scanners

KAYTWO

I have two shiny new knees and set it off EVERY time.

I also "assume the position". The ship staff will get to know you quickly and will give you a quick check. Airports give you the full check The full body scanner is awesome - so fast.

The Doctors card/letter is not accepted anywhere.

Have a great trip.

Raina

I have two shiny new knees and set it off EVERY time.

I also "assume the position". The ship staff will get to know you quickly and will give you a quick check. Airports give you the full check The full body scanner is awesome - so fast.

The Doctors card/letter is not accepted anywhere.

Have a great trip.

Raina

Do you stand in a different line to get the full body scanner? I would rather do that than the groping.:eek:

DS has a titanium rod the length of his lower leg. It beeped once in 4 times, the screen showed lower leg. In shorts, his scars were pretty visible, and the pat down took only seconds.

My insulin pump and sensor beep every time, and the pump and my hands get swabbed every time for explosives.

Thanks. I had to have 3 vertebrae in my neck fused last year so was wondering if I should carry a doctors certificate as we will also be going through several airports on this trip as we'll.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Even with a doctors certificate if you set them off you will be hand wanded and likely get a pat down. Doctors certificates are easily forged and hold zero merit with the TSA or port security.

Do you stand in a different line to get the full body scanner? I would rather do that than the groping.:eek:

You go into whichever lane they send you to--this will vary by airport and the TSA official you encounter. There is no nudo-scope at the ports, so you won't be given a choice.

Thanks. I had to have 3 vertebrae in my neck fused last year so was wondering if I should carry a doctors certificate as we will also be going through several airports on this trip as we'll.

DW had the same thing done a couple of years ago

first time we flew after, I think she was a little disappointed when no buzzers went off :p

Haven't flown or cruised yet with my plate and 9 screws ( upcoming in Aug). Dr and friend say not to worry. Scar just above ankle is easy to show so if I set off the scanners, easy to pull off the socks. ...I do also have a photo of the X-ray on my iPad. TSA and ship personnel may not be interested but the 4 grandsons sure were. lol

Metal in knees may or may not trigger alarm, depending on the machine setting, since the metal is near the skin. Replacement hips are far less likely except with machines at the highest settings, since the implant goes down into the femur while the metal cup is deep in the pelvis (deeper for some of us than others!). In either case, TSA will just laugh at the MD notes or ID cards made by implant manufacturers...just tell them you have an artificial joint and they'll do a quick pat down and send you on your way. If you have a choice, use the full body scanner instead of the metal detector...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just returned from my first trip flying after getting a pacemaker. They glanced at my card and said "The other machine" to go to the full body one. On the way back, a smaller airport and one glance at the card and they took me around the scanner and used the wand and an explosive swipe.

Much less stress than when I just had a hip replacement.

Guess we have gotten use to the issue since DW had a total knee replacement. We do a lot of international travel and its always a pain in the behind (or knee). Titanium, in its pure form, is not used for most non-dental transplants because the metal is just not strong enough for many joints like knees and hips. They do use Titanium alloys which are designed to add strength and these would likely set off an metal detector, assuming the setting is at a pretty sensitive level. The OP does not say what kind of transplant, and if it something like a dental implant (which are often made of Titanium) this will not normally set off any metal detector. But knees and hips do normally set off the TSA metal detectors (just ask DW). And having a note or an "implant card" is now nearly worthless as the TSA folks could generally care less. If you set off a detector they will want you and perhaps do a further hand search.

One funny story is about our HAL cruises. We have noticed that DW hardly ever sets off their metal detectors. A HAL Security Office told me they usually turn down the "sensitivity" to a very low setting because otherwise, half the passengers set off the detector :).

I should add that DW always prefers the full body scanners (where available) since they have no issue with implants.

Hank