Why are S class ship DDs listed as "partial view"?

shrimp56

They are listed as "partial ocean view" while looking at availability, but not on the deck plans. Does any one have experience with these cabins?

They are Main Deck aft and used to be Es, or will be until May 18.

First, I can't think of one darned thing that would make the DD cabins on Main Deck aft be "partially obstructed".

Second, where are you getting the idea that they are partially obstructed? I just checked the deckplans for three of the four S-class ships. They are noted as either triples or quads (with the little circle and square icons), but I didn't notice any with the triangle "partially obstructed" symbol. Which cabins did I miss?

Right. That's what confusing me. I can't think of any reason either.

But when I start a booking to see what's available this is what I get on the Statendam.

DD_zpsb1a6b5f7.jpg

I also got it when I started a Maasdam booking too.

Edited by shrimp56

They are Main Deck aft and used to be Es, or will be until May 18.
I think that this is the reason for the error (as I'm sure it is).

In the old categories, DDs are on the Lower Promenade Deck and I suspect are those which have some structure in front of the window that means that you have to look to one side to see the sea.

The rubric has probably got carried over accidentally into the description of the new DD category.

Statendam is one of the three ships I checked, too. I know there's been nothing done toward the aft that could change it's original views.

Could it be a mistake in the description? HAL has been known to make a mistake once in a while.

You could try a dummy booking on the other S-class ships and see if they all give the same description, although I wouldn't be surprised if the text was carried over throughout the system.

Try looking in the same area of some R-class ships, too, and see if they are listed the same way.

Strange. That's all I can think.

You could try a dummy booking on the other S-class ships and see if they all give the same description, although I wouldn't be surprised if the text was carried over throughout the system.
Just dummy booking some Statendam cruises both before and after the change, they all have E = Full ocean view and DD = Partial view. So I remain convinced that the change in "view" for DDs just hasn't been put into the system.

I believe you were posting while I was checking the deckplans and posting, Globalizer. I didn't see post #4 until later.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. When HAL changed the cabin categories they neglected to correct for accurate descriptions.

Edited by RuthC

We see that on the Prinsendam also. Category C show as partially obstructed, and I think on the old plans some of them were, but not on the new plans. I have no idea why HAL has not corrected this yet on their website.

Trish

My guess is that, in their zeal to move to the new revenue-enhancing room categories, they simply copied the old descriptions to the new room assignments.

Why they just don't run all this stuff by CCers for proofreading before they put it on their site is beyond me. ;)

My guess is that, in their zeal to move to the new revenue-enhancing room categories, they simply copied the old descriptions to the new room assignments.

Why they just don't run all this stuff by CCers for proofreading before they put it on their site is beyond me. ;)

They could save themselves a lot of grief that way:)

Thanks so much for the edifying explanations. Much appreciated:)

Edited by shrimp56

DDs on the Lower Prom (old system) were "partially obstructed".

Whoever did the data entry for the new system just left the same description?

I recently booked a DD, main deck, on the Veendam. When I questioned my PVP about the partially obstructed view classification, she said the same thing.The DDs were partially obstructed under the old categories.