Similar forum for mixed cruise/land tours in China?

Sue Do-Over

I've gotten so much great information here on CC, I wonder if there is a similar forum for English speaking/Americans who are planning a trip to China?

We're looking at a variety of trips/tours, each is 12-20 days, with maybe 5 or 6 days actually cruising on the river. The first several days are land-based, with a couple days in each region, then either air/rail/bus to the next -- making it not so much a 'cruise'.

I'm looking for tours that have MINIMAL shopping, and MORE history and sight-seeing. Great Wall, Terra Cotta Army are the must-sees, so if there are recommendations, we'd appreciate it.

Take a look at Viking River Cruises. Their China cruise is way superior to their European ones. Yes, there was some shopping but if you don't have any shopaholics in your tour group, then very little time spent shopping. We saw all of the historic sites.

We are in China on business every year and I always add on some private touring. We used Victoria cruise for the Yangzee cruise ( more English geared). In Chongching we toured the beautiful domed court building with fine art also, then the panda's it was great. The cruise was excellent NO shopping just history and views. We did Shanghai for five days enjoying great food, Yu Yung gardens and tea house The Bund, Nan Jing road ( not sure of spelling it is shopping but more for the experience) just to people watch. We took a side trip to Suzou silk tour all done with private tour so if we want to shop we can. One of the best was last year Beijing and the wall ( it's a given), but then to Gulin the views and boat ride down the Li river was memorable as well as the tour to the rice fields up the mountain.

This year we stop at Lijianf near Shangrila hope it works as well.

We used a Canadian travel agent who knows China well.

If you go to Trip Advisor you can see how easy it is do arrange yourself with help from local agents or guides. That is what we did. I had a taxi arranged for pickup in Beijing, a driver to the Great Wall, a driver and guide to see the Terra Cotta Warriors, a driver/guide in Chongqing and I booked the Yangtze cruise (Victoria lines) through a local agency.

If all this seems too much check out having a Chinese agency do the whole thing. One that has a great reputation here is China Highlights. You will pay far less and get the tour that you want.

I've gotten so much great information here on CC, I wonder if there is a similar forum for English speaking/Americans who are planning a trip to China?

We're looking at a variety of trips/tours, each is 12-20 days, with maybe 5 or 6 days actually cruising on the river. The first several days are land-based, with a couple days in each region, then either air/rail/bus to the next -- making it not so much a 'cruise'.

I'm looking for tours that have MINIMAL shopping, and MORE history and sight-seeing. Great Wall, Terra Cotta Army are the must-sees, so if there are recommendations, we'd appreciate it.

We did the Vantage China trip, which includes dining or visits to homes of local people, as well as culturally enriching tours.

Here is my review of the trip. Also, Viking's tour is more expensive and you get less.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1718320

Hi! I can relate Sue do over. I am leaning towards a combo of cruise and cruise tour. We are experienced cruises, but no river cruises before. The Yangtze River looks like an amazing experience, and the Great Wall and the pandas! Princess seems to have a good blend, does anyone know when they would publish their 2015 land tours for China? The only thing I would prefer is to do some of the land tour in smaller groups. I read somewhere that it is groups of about 30 people? I would also appreciate references to any additional websites. The Yangtze River cruise website was great! Just not sure if my hubby and would want 8 days on a river cruise for the first time. We are both "young professionals" so we would max out on a 3 wk vacation including travel from the u.s.

I would really appreciate any additional insight from others who have done China!!! And thank you for those who have provided already.

Are you sure it is an eight day cruise on the Yangtze? I believe ours was just three nights and some are a bit longer. There is no need for them to be longer. We spent considerable time not moving. Our last night we went through the locks at the Three Gorges Dam and docked just downstream so the next morning we could do the tour.

You can get the same cruise for about half price if you book through a Chinese agency. You can get a personalized tour for less money if you book through a local agency. China is very safe (penalties for crimes such as pickpocketing must be severe) and we were comfortable walking around on our own.

• 1 month later...
Are you sure it is an eight day cruise on the Yangtze? I believe ours was just three nights and some are a bit longer. There is no need for them to be longer. We spent considerable time not moving. Our last night we went through the locks at the Three Gorges Dam and docked just downstream so the next morning we could do the tour.

You can get the same cruise for about half price if you book through a Chinese agency. You can get a personalized tour for less money if you book through a local agency. China is very safe (penalties for crimes such as pickpocketing must be severe) and we were comfortable walking around on our own.

Hi there:

We are planning to go to China in the last week of October. Neither of us speak Mandarin; so we are a little apprehensive in going there. From the general consensus that I have read online, it is feasible to travel there.

Did you keep any of the contact information of the local agency you used. We would like to do a little planning before we book hotel stays in Shanghai after leaving its airport.

Would appreciate any help you can give on this or China in general.

Thanks.

Some key words help and you can download and app that will give them to you, like how to ask for the bathroom ( that helped my hubby) or fish (Yu) we like to eat that as we know what we are getting. We will be in Shanghai in Sept. And we stay at the Marriott Renaissance Yu Yun Gardens. Great area to walk and tour nice at night well priced.