Delighted by DIVINA? Find out!

eroller

I just came off the wonderful MSC Divina after 4 days and nights of virtually "no kids".....I counted 3 that I saw, yes 3 children the whole cruise.....but of course this was for Monsters of Rock! I would never book a cruise of any kind during spring break or mid-summer etc....unless I had kids myself, :)

Boy were you lucky!!

Ciao Ernie,

Molte Grazie for the review. The joy and acclaim that comes across in your thread make for glorious, fun filled reading. The critical analysis you provide is very much appreciated. I'll be on the Apr . 19th Divina sailing, so your review was perfect timing. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning.

In March on a Nieuw Amsterdam cruise, the Divina was next to us in San Juan, port side. I was transfixed with her sleek beauty. Inside, the Divina looks Italian sports car sexy. From what I can see, my only criticisms are the lack of a usable promenade deck & forward and aft open deck space being very limited. This unfortunately seems to be the current ship building trend. These are minor things that I'm sure won't detract from an otherwise fine ship.

I saw your Opera album and it reminded me of my Apr. 2005 cruise on her. Pepe from Sorrento was also my waiter ! I LOVED how different MSC was from the typical All American cruise product. The Animation Team went non-stop and really made a point of paying attention to me as a single male traveling alone. They made me feel like a part of the family. There were late night deck parties that seemed to go on to the AM that seemed to attract most of the passengers. There was a French clown with HUGE funny eyes who was all over the ship. Did you notice any changes that stood out in the MSC product from your Opera cruise to the Divina ? Also, do you know if any former Sitmar people are working aboard the Divina (Fairwind is my hands down all time favorite) ? And finally, hoping that you continue to feel better.

Ciao Ernie,

Molte Grazie for the review. The joy and acclaim that comes across in your thread make for glorious, fun filled reading. The critical analysis you provide is very much appreciated. I'll be on the Apr . 19th Divina sailing, so your review was perfect timing. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning.

In March on a Nieuw Amsterdam cruise, the Divina was next to us in San Juan, port side. I was transfixed with her sleek beauty. Inside, the Divina looks Italian sports car sexy. From what I can see, my only criticisms are the lack of a usable promenade deck & forward and aft open deck space being very limited. This unfortunately seems to be the current ship building trend. These are minor things that I'm sure won't detract from an otherwise fine ship.

I saw your Opera album and it reminded me of my Apr. 2005 cruise on her. Pepe from Sorrento was also my waiter ! I LOVED how different MSC was from the typical All American cruise product. The Animation Team went non-stop and really made a point of paying attention to me as a single male traveling alone. They made me feel like a part of the family. There were late night deck parties that seemed to go on to the AM that seemed to attract most of the passengers. There was a French clown with HUGE funny eyes who was all over the ship. Did you notice any changes that stood out in the MSC product from your Opera cruise to the Divina ? Also, do you know if any former Sitmar people are working aboard the Divina (Fairwind is my hands down all time favorite) ? And finally, hoping that you continue to feel better.

Thanks for the message and compliments! I'm so glad you enjoyed the review. I think you will greatly enjoy MSC DIVINA!

Like you, I loved MSC OPERA and all the differences compared to a typical North American cruise product. Unfortunately many of my fellow passengers didn't feel the same way. The biggest complaint was the availability of food. Go figure! LOL Anyway you will find MSC DIVINA to be much more Americanized and whether that is good or bad will be for you to decide.

I also loved Sitmar and Home Lines and sailed on both as a child. Angelo Balbi is the Hotel Director on DIVINA and he is from Sitmar and later Princess Cruises. He is a great guy if you get the chance to interact with him. Back in the days of Sitmar he was a F&B Manager.

Enjoy your cruise!

Ernie

ps - the aft deck space is quite nice on MSC DIVINA. I think you will like it!

Hi, Ernie!

Thank you very much for your wonderfull and very well balanced review of the Divina! While I have never been on Fantasia class ships, I can see myself on my 4 happy cruises on Musica class ships!...

Let me give just a few notes, from my continental European experience to the laregly American and English speaking predominant community on these forums:

1) While personal experience is subjective, perceived quality is always objective. I strongly agree with you when you state that MSC has a consistently good product for the mainstream market, European or not. MSC is a different company from their American competitors... But it is just a different company with its own flavour providing consistently good service!... IMHO they are largely focused on the visits to the ports on the given itinerary and to have a good hotel and transportation infraestructure with an as non intrusive as possible entertainment program aboard designed for nearly all tastes.

2) I have never seen anything uggly on the Musica class ships I went on, and I doubted when you spoke about the steakhouse aboard the Divina... But I understood all what you said when I saw your wonderfull fotos!... So, my question for MSC is: Why do you want to have a pay for venue visually less appelative than any of your complimentary venues aboard? Really on the real world of today people see photos on the Internet and they decide for what they want or not to pay for!... That steakhouse is completely out of place on this ship!... And even the Italian section of the restaurant seems to me not better!...

3) While I understand sauna and steam rooms to be premium services that you have to pay extra if you want them, like what you usually do on mainstream land hotels, lockers, showers and change room are not. Ok, you have your cabin at a reasonable distance... But... Really?... I understand MSC and their competitors need to charge for sauna and steam room. Basic cruise prices has decreased so much in the last 10 years that they need to retain and enlarge their profit margin. When I start cruising with my parents 8 years ago, I paid some 7k Euros for a week on the med with an excursion group... And forget going to a bar and asking for a drink!... Prices at that time were just proibitive!... Now, last July, I paid a few more than 5k Euros for a week on the baltic sea and I went all days to a bar and asked for one of those "zero proof" or non alcoholic drinks they have on their menu very similar to the ones on your fotos, being "Alice in Wonderland" my favorite!... And I found the prices to be very reasonable, even without the drinks package!... But indeed, returning to the showers and change room question... I think that in some ways the cruise industry is losing some common sense... Charge for sauna and steam room: Ok, and it avoids the unfortunatly true abusive use of them by some passengers, let alone their abusive, and unsafe, use by minors... I am for it, and if I need it I'm ready to pay that service... But change room and shower, guys, it is a standard service on any land based gym!!!... My sugjestion: Try to redisign that area so that steam room and sauna be part of the spa and shower and change room be part of the gym and preferably add a different change room for YC guests on your newbuild ships!...

Have a good day!... :)

Edited by Nunagoras

Hi, Ernie!

Thank you very much for your wonderfull and very well balanced review of the Divina! While I have never been on Fantasia class ships, I can see myself on my 4 happy cruises on Musica class ships!...

Let me give just a few notes, from my continental European experience to the laregly American and English speaking predominant community on these forums:

1) While personal experience is subjective, perceived quality is always objective. I strongly agree with you when you state that MSC has a consistently good product for the mainstream market, European or not. MSC is a different company from their American competitors... But it is just a different company with its own flavour providing consistently good service!... IMHO they are largely focused on the visits to the ports on the given itinerary and to have a good hotel and transportation infraestructure with an as non intrusive as possible entertainment program aboard designed for nearly all tastes.

2) I have never seen anything uggly on the Musica class ships I went on, and I doubted when you spoke about the steakhouse aboard the Divina... But I understood all what you said when I saw your wonderfull fotos!... So, my question for MSC is: Why do you want to have a pay for venue visually less appelative than any of your complimentary venues aboard? Really on the real world of today people see photos on the Internet and they decide for what they want or not to pay for!... That steakhouse is completely out of place on this ship!... And even the Italian section of the restaurant seems to me not better!...

3) While I understand sauna and steam rooms to be premium services that you have to pay extra if you want them, like what you usually do on mainstream land hotels, lockers, showers and change room are not. Ok, you have your cabin at a reasonable distance... But... Really?... I understand MSC and their competitors need to charge for sauna and steam room. Basic cruise prices has decreased so much in the last 10 years that they need to retain and enlarge their profit margin. When I start cruising with my parents 8 years ago, I paid some 7k Euros for a week on the med with an excursion group... And forget going to a bar and asking for a drink!... Prices at that time were just proibitive!... Now, last July, I paid a few more than 5k Euros for a week on the baltic sea and I went all days to a bar and asked for one of those "zero proof" or non alcoholic drinks they have on their menu very similar to the ones on your fotos, being "Alice in Wonderland" my favorite!... And I found the prices to be very reasonable, even without the drinks package!... But indeed, returning to the showers and change room question... I think that in some ways the cruise industry is losing some common sense... Charge for sauna and steam room: Ok, and it avoids the unfortunatly true abusive use of them by some passengers, let alone their abusive, and unsafe, use by minors... I am for it, and if I need it I'm ready to pay that service... But change room and shower, guys, it is a standard service on any land based gym!!!... My sugjestion: Try to redisign that area so that steam room and sauna be part of the spa and shower and change room be part of the gym and preferably add a different change room for YC guests on your newbuild ships!...

Have a good day!... :)

Great points! Thank you for sharing.

Great review. I literally just booked this ship 30 minutes ago and this will be my first MSC cruise. A couple of questions if you don't mind. First, do you have a list of which eating venues are free and which ones cost money? Second, do yo know the prices of the specialty restaurants? Third, are all of the evening shows free of charge and does MSC require you to make a reservation for the shows? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Great review. I literally just booked this ship 30 minutes ago and this will be my first MSC cruise. A couple of questions if you don't mind. First, do you have a list of which eating venues are free and which ones cost money? Second, do yo know the prices of the specialty restaurants? Third, are all of the evening shows free of charge and does MSC require you to make a reservation for the shows? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hi, I'm sure you'll love MSC, we do. The main dining room and buffet are free for breakfast lunch and dinner. The shows are free and you don't need a reservation. Usually, the shows are held twice a night - once during early seating dinner and secondly during late seating dinner. There will be a lot of other entertainment in the form of live music around. I don't know the cost for specialty restaurants, sorry.

Here is some info from another post. Go through the post in this forum you will find some good info.

Originally Posted by chanowski viewpost.gif

Here is a list I compiled for my group about extra charges onboard the Divina:

Gratuity:

The onboard currency is in U.S. dollars. A $12 per adult, per day, gratuity is automatically to your shipboard account; and $6 per person, per day, for those ages 3 to 17. Gratuity is not applied for children younger than 3.

A 15% service gratuity is automatically added to each drink or food purchased onboard.

Wi-Fi

$29.90 for 60 minutes

$44.90 for 100 minutes

$99.90 for 300 minutes

$149.90 for 480 minutes

$299.90 for 1,440 minutes

Internet Cafe

$6 for 10 minutes

$0.60 each additional minute

The Top 18 Solarium (Deck 18)

Adults-only sunning spot that features two hot tubs and a bar. Furniture includes standard loungers and covered rattan sun beds.

$5 to $30 depending on which piece of furniture is being used and the duration.

Candlepin Bowling Alley (Deck 7)

$7 per person per game (Only accepts coins)

Formula 1 Simulator (Deck 16)

$9 per person

4D Cinema (Deck 16)

$7 per person

Aqua Cycle

$12 per person/per class

Eataly Steakhouse

Eataly features a la carte pricing, with pastas starting at $8.50 and entrees ranging from $15 for lamb or salmon to $25 for an 8.5-ounce tenderloin. Veggie sides are $3. Attached to the steakhouse is Ristorante Italia, which serves a different prix fixe menu each night for $34 per person. There, menu options represent the various regions of Italy; they include Tuscan selections like Citrus-infused seafood passatelli or lasagna and Sicilian favorites like spiced braised veal cheeks and stuffed sardines. Both are open only for dinner from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m.

Galaxy Nightclub

Serves a daily luxury brunch for $28, which includes breakfast items such as omelets and waffles and options like oysters and foie gras, as well as one glass of Prosecco per person. From 7 p.m. to 11 p.m., dinner is served there, with several different Mediterranean fusion menus. Passengers can choose a la carte options (with appetizers starting at $7.50, pasta and rice starting at $7.50, main courses starting at $12 and desserts for $5) or choose from one of three price fixe options. The Saturno menu offers courses for $24 per person; the Venere menu is five courses for $35; and the Galaxy menu is seven courses and includes a glass of wine with each dish for $59 per person.

La Cantina di Bacco (open 6 p.m. to midnight)

A small but charming spot on Deck 7. There, wine- and beer-lovers can chat over a glass of wine and a tapas plate (olives and bruschetta, for example), included when you purchase drinks. This is also the best place on the ship for pizza. It's delicious, with flakey, thin crust, and the ingredients taste fresh. The spicy pizza, with its hot Ventricina salami, was a favorite, as was the vegetarian. Pizza pricing starts at $8.50 per pie, and one pizza serves two comfortably.

Sports Bar (Deck 7)

It's clear Divina is aimed at American passengers. (The menu even reads "American Food Experience.") Dining options are strictly of the bar/finger food variety and include Buffalo wings, chicken tenders, burgers and wraps. Prices are a la carte. For $7, the burger is the best onboard -- juicy and melty.

Room Service

A small room service menu is available all day, but a small service charge

($3.50) applies to orders placed after 11 p.m. Pizza delivery service is also available for an extra charge starts at $8.50 per pie.

Nutella Crepes (By the pool)

Starts at $4 per crepe and price increases depending on fillings chosen.

Gelato

Starts at $2.50 for a cup and increases from there.

Pastries

Start at $1.50 and increase from there.

Specialty Coffees

Start at $2.25 and increase from there.

Edited by Bosjoe

Thank you! I'm glad you found the review useful.

Looks like you got the answers to your questions but I'll add there is no charge for any entertainment and it's excellent. I think you will really enjoy it. One thing MSC does that is not to my particular taste is running the shows before dinner for the late sitting. So for instance the show will run at 7pm for those on the 8:15pm dinner. Just a personal preference but I prefer seeing the show after dinner. One purpose for me choosing late sitting is so I don't have to rush to get ready for dinner. Having the show at 7pm sort of defeats that purpose for me.

Looks like you got the answers to your questions but I'll add there is no charge for any entertainment and it's excellent. I think you will really enjoy it. One thing MSC does that is not to my particular taste is running the shows before dinner for the late sitting. So for instance the show will run at 7pm for those on the 8:15pm dinner. Just a personal preference but I prefer seeing the show after dinner. One purpose for me choosing late sitting is so I don't have to rush to get ready for dinner. Having the show at 7pm sort of defeats that purpose for me.

So, what time is the show for the early dinner? I usually like to eat early and then catch a show after dinner? I'm assuming the show would then be around 8:30? Is that correct ?

So, what time is the show for the early dinner? I usually like to eat early and then catch a show after dinner? I'm assuming the show would then be around 8:30? Is that correct ?

The early show is actually at 9pm.

Actually, RCCL does the same thing which I enjoyed for the time we had late seating (because I'm definitely not a night owl). I always take early seating now so it has become a moot point for me.

Thank you everyone for all of the info. I'm not a novice cruiser but I only know 1 person who has even sailed MSC before and even he hasn't sailed the Divina yet (though he will beat me on board by 6 weeks). I'm a planaholic so I like to know EVERYTHING I possibly can before going on board and y'all have been a wealth of information. :)

Edited by Out to sea!

One other question if I may of those who have traveled on the Divina. after looking at some of the OPs pics, it seems they have a beer special (14 beers/$62) on board. Does this include any beer they have or just the 2 draft beers? I don't mind draft, just can't stand Heineken. The offer seemed pretty good since I'm not a huge drinker and this would give me a couple of beers a day. Thanks.

Oooooo, and can you bring your own soda on board? :o

No you're not supposed to bring soda on board!

Soda vouchers are 15 for $30.

Alcohol Vouchers are ,,,,

Drinks 15 vouchers for $72 ($4.80 a drink)

Bottled Beer 14 vouchers for $52 ($3.71 a beer)

Order online and these prices include gratuity, if you buy on ship, a 15% gratuity will be added!

No you're not supposed to bring soda on board!

Soda vouchers are 15 for $30.

Alcohol Vouchers are ,,,,

Drinks 15 vouchers for $72 ($4.80 a drink)

Bottled Beer 14 vouchers for $52 ($3.71 a beer)

Order online and these prices include gratuity, if you buy on ship, a 15% gratuity will be added!

No problem. Granted, this is the first cruise line I've sailed where you cannot bring your own soda on board (even the US Navy allowed me to do that :D) but I always abide by the rules once I know them (hence the question). I'll assume you meant if I order the beer package online I do not have to pay the gratuity? Do you get 14 tickets for the beers (which is a great price that I will take advantage of) or is it pro-loaded onto your sail & sign card and they just scan your card and let you know how many are left? Also (again since I don't want to break the rules but need to learn the rules), if you buy the beer package, since it is total of X number of beers for the cruise, is it allowed that I give some of them to my DW or must she buy her own package as well? Thanks for all the helpful info!

Oh, and I hope my questions are not taking the thread off topic. If so, just please say so and I will start other threads for my questions. :)

@ Bosjoe regarding your post #84 can payment for the bowling alley, Formula 1 Simulator, 4D Cinema and Aqua Cycle be put on our shipboard account?

I saw the info that the bowling alley only accepts coins....but can we pay with our sea card?

I saw the info that the bowling alley only accepts coins....but can we pay with our sea card?

It's a little absurd in that you have to go down to the Guest Relations desk to purchase the tokens. I believe they are charged to your shipboard account. Unfortunately when you're sitting in the Sports Bar and want to play a quick game of bowling, the last thing you feel like doing is heading down to Guest Relations and waiting in line to purchase a token. The Sports Bar itself should sell them.

I'm Sailing Next Month, On The Divina, And I Would Like To Know The Days Of The Themed Events, Gala Night, Italian Night, White Night, etc.....

Thanks!!!!!

Have a look at my photos. Included are all the daily programs from the cruise, which will list any theme nights, their times and dates. Have fun!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eroller/sets/72157643234679793/

@ Bosjoe regarding your post #84 can payment for the bowling alley, Formula 1 Simulator, 4D Cinema and Aqua Cycle be put on our shipboard account?

I did not partake in the bowling, so I'm not sure where you get the coins. Most likely at the bar I would assume. Everything would go on your sea pass card.