NCL Pearl Crew member killed in Roatan?

mitsugirly

This I snurched from a post of Trip Advisor:

Bay Island Voice Facebook post:

"Local media reported last night that the man suspected of shooting and killing a Filipino cruise ship employee in Coxen Hole Sunday was apprehended last night in the El Swampo sector of Coxen Hole. A source said he was lured there to sell the murder weapon to raise cash to get off the island."

Mind you, one of the many challenges the island has is correct info. :0)

That El Swampo sector is horrible ... really awful. :eek:

Because of a major traffic/road block issue once, our tour bus had to go through a part of there to get us back to the cruise terminal.

LuLu

~~~

What you are describing happens in every Caribbean port. There are hustlers everywhere. These are mostly third world countries and all should be aware of that when they venture out alone. We were also approached by a hustler who offered to show us around the straw market, find us food and get us deals. After 30 minutes my husband gave him 5.00 and asked him to leave. He did. In Cozumel my husband was approached several times with offers to sell him drugs, this was on the main drag outside of the port. In Belize we had armed guards on the bus taking us to our excursion. The point I'm trying to make is Roatan is no more dangerous than any other foreign port In the Caribbean. As tourists we need to be on guard at all times and as countries wanting our dollars they need to provide adequate security. Sounds like Roatan dropped the ball here. I bet they do all they can to not let that happen again. It is a sad horrible event but not the norm. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Absolutely agree. This happens everywhere in all ports in the Caribbean. I can even remember back when we were cruising in the 80's they still did this...the only difference is, back then when we had to tender to the port (which was Playa del Carmen back then) and ON THE TENDERS, the Mexicans were on them with their arms stretched out and they were lined with silver necklaces begging for you to buy from them. Once you arrived in Mexico at the port, the children would bombard you begging for you to buy Chicklets from them. It has always been like this.

Ever been to Jamaica? That's probably the worse port ever for the begging and selling of drugs, however the locals are friendly once you get to know them. They are pretty laid back and are just "chillin". :D

Heck, if you want to think about it, I can get off the freeway to go to work (at the local hospital in the emergency room) and there are people who "claim" their corner of the freeway exit...begging for money. You have people walk up to you begging for food and money at the gas station. Working in the ED, I actually took care of someone last night that begged for a sandwich and something to drink because they hadn't ate all day and they were homeless. It's everywhere, even in the good old US. ;)

**edit to add: I honestly can say that I have never been approached anywhere in Roatan to buy anything, or to be given help finding something other than to ask where I was going and point me to the right taxi.

Edited by mitsugirly

Oh well, so much for bragging to my DH about the CEO of NCL standing behind his passengers & crew. Just last night, I told him you had to respect the CEO & we need to support NCL more. Guess that was wasted breath. Now I'm going to have to back petal & tell DH I may have been too hasty in my praise. This decision wouldn't make or break our decision to choose NCL or not, but it definitely doesn't give them the edge anymore. At the very least, they could have waited until the fall cruises to assure they had stepped up security & reduced crime instead of taking someone's self-serving word for it.

The quote you quoted was from Little French Key, a family run "resort" on an island near Roatan which we visited out last trip to Roatan, not NCL if that is what you thought.

The quote you quoted was from Little French Key, a family run "resort" on an island near Roatan which we visited out last trip to Roatan, not NCL if that is what you thought.

Thanks for clearing that up. Obviously, I didn't pay enough attention to what I was reading. I'll go back & reread it. :o Hopefully, NCL won't be too quick to return Roatan, until they get a better handle on the crime.

Thanks for clearing that up. Obviously, I didn't pay enough attention to what I was reading. I'll go back & reread it. :o Hopefully, NCL won't be too quick to return Roatan, until they get a better handle on the crime.

There was a link farther up the thread to Cruise Law News.

The article is worth a read. A quote:

Posted April 12th

This week Sheehan pulled his cruise ships out of Roatan after one of his crew members was murdered last Sunday, but the move is just temporary. His ships will again start calling on Roatan tomorrow.

Posted April 12th

This week Sheehan pulled his cruise ships out of Roatan after one of his crew members was murdered last Sunday, but the move is just temporary. His ships will again start calling on Roatan tomorrow.

Yes, I believe people on the roll call this coming week have confirmed with NCL that they will be stopping in Roatan.

Posted April 12th

Yes, I believe people on the roll call this coming week have confirmed with NCL that they will be stopping in Roatan.

Thanks for the clarification. That's what I thought, but wasn't sure. Now, I'm back to admitting to DH I spoke too quickly. Naturally, this will be a shock to him, because I'm never wrong. :p

Thanks for the clarification. That's what I thought, but wasn't sure. Now, I'm back to admitting to DH I spoke too quickly. Naturally, this will be a shock to him, because I'm never wrong. :p

Perhaps not but... humor is in your corner. Cheers!

The comment about "when you have poverty, folks are going to do what it takes to get by" is ridiculous, and I am sure the poster did not mean that. There are many poor people in the world who certainly don't resort to either theft or murder.

No, theft and murder not a lot, but they do what it takes to get by. They plant their own food, raise animals, move to another place, take handouts...but they do what ever it takes to get by.

Hopefully, NCL won't be too quick to return Roatan, until they get a better handle on the crime.

Won't be too quick to return LOL

I guess you haven't noticed their is crime everywhere. Two people were murder last year a block away from the port of miami. I guess the cruise ships shouldn't port there:roll eyes: How many people are murdered in Manhattan blocks away from the cruise terminal………wouldn't want to go there.

Edited by Laszlo

Won't be too quick to return LOL

I guess you haven't noticed their is crime everywhere. Two people were murder last year a block away from the port of miami. I guess the cruise ships shouldn't port there:roll eyes: How many people are murdered in Manhattan blocks away from the cruise terminal………wouldn't want to go there.

very few killed in that part of Manhattan at all. This is Manhattan south here are the stats

all of Manhattan south(the area of

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/pdf/crime_statistics/cspbms.pdf

the pier is located in the police area called Manhattan North precinct(yes I know this can be confusing)

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/pdf/crime_statistics/cs018pct.pdf

no murders at all in 2013. 1 so far this year not sure of the story on that one.

very sad...

not street crime and having nothing to do with the pier.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/babysitter-sitter-charged-death-myls-dobson-4-sources-article-1.1571061

Edited by smeyer418

very few killed in that part of Manhattan at all. This is Manhattan south here are the stats

all of Manhattan south(the area of

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/pdf/crime_statistics/cspbms.pdf

the pier is located in the police area called Manhattan North precinct(yes I know this can be confusing)

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/pdf/crime_statistics/cs018pct.pdf

no murders at all in 2013. 1 so far this year not sure of the story on that one.

very sad...

not street crime and having nothing to do with the pier.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/babysitter-sitter-charged-death-myls-dobson-4-sources-article-1.1571061

My point is just because you have a murder in a certain country / port doesn't mean you pull out. Yes, the crew member who was shot and killed was a very sad story. If they are going to pull out of Roatan they might think about pulling out of Jamaica, Belize, US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico. Each of those countries rates are also way up there

Roatan is one of our favorite ports. Crimes like this can happen any where.

Yes, they can. An armed gunman robbed my sons a few years back near their homes. One would have fought had the other not encouraged just giving up the wallets. Not worth dying over. So sorry for the family.