Why never to carry your passport when abroad!

Theodorable

The only port that we have ever needed our passports to return to the ship is Venice. Other than that, a copy is what we carry and our drivers license. I wonder if we ever missed the ship, if we could get from one port to the next using copies if the next stop is in another country? :confused:

Doesn't seem too promising. Last summer in the Med we went running onto the ship a couple times just making it, so this makes me wonder….

Maybe? Travel among EU countries is more relaxed. I noticed when our flight from Amsterdam to Barcalona was cancelled, we stayed overnight in Amsterdam and did not need to show our passport when checking back in the next day. From VillaFrance to Monaco to Milano to Bern using a rail pass, no checking in/out at borders. But of course in those cases we had already purchased the tickets.

Some countries require you to present your passport when leaving and returning to the ship. Russia, for example. Also if you're going from Skagway, Alaska, into Canada on an excursion, you must have your passport.

I would never carry my passport in a purse even though I have a PacSafe bag with cable in the strap. I have a hidden neck wallet for my passport.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143

Mine was stolen while I was living abroad. Since it was shortly before I was to fly home for a visit, the High Commission was able to issue emergency travel docs to get me home, and then I got my passport replaced while in Canada. A huge pain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse wacky auto-correct-induced typos.

Very sorry to hear about this unfortunate event. In this case, you are correct, keeping the passport in the hotel locked up was the better option.

However, when on a cruise, I disagree that its a good idea to leave the passports on the ship. In the event that you miss the ship, you would be stuck without documentation to travel to the next port which is often in another country.

This is one thing that has bothered me too.

Dave

Some countries require you to present your passport when leaving and returning to the ship. Russia, for example. Also if you're going from Skagway, Alaska, into Canada on an excursion, you must have your passport.

Will the ship tell you which countries you need to bring your passport with you when you leave the ship? My next cruise will be stopping in Scotland, Faroe Islands, Iceland, and Norway.

July 2012 ~ Celebrity Infinity ~ Alaska

Will the ship tell you which countries you need to bring your passport with you when you leave the ship? My next cruise will be stopping in Scotland, Faroe Islands, Iceland, and Norway.

July 2012 ~ Celebrity Infinity ~ Alaska

Yes. They made it quite clear on our Venice stop last year to make sure everyone knew they had to have their passports to return.

I have always found that it is best to carry a copy. Many hotels in Europe keep your passports until you check out. If not keep it in a safe.

I have never had my passport kept In any European hotel until check out , I have experienced them holding it for a few hours / overnight, but that's not happened for a very long time

Maybe? Travel among EU countries is more relaxed. I noticed when our flight from Amsterdam to Barcalona was cancelled, we stayed overnight in Amsterdam and did not need to show our passport when checking back in the next day. From VillaFrance to Monaco to Milano to Bern using a rail pass, no checking in/out at borders. But of course in those cases we had already purchased the tickets.

We have driven through EU countries and there is no stopping at borders to show passports, until you get to the ferry ports or trailen to get to UK

I think that I have read here on CC on some itineraries the ship keeps your passports during the cruise.

Yes. Just completed 23 days on a Cunard ship and our passport was taken on embarkation and not returned until the evening we departed. In China, who required a Visa pre departure, we were given a copy of info page with a bar code that was scanned on entry and departure. In Malaysia we were not given our passports but authorities inspected them en masse prior to arrival.

I have a photo of my info page on my phone. It can then be emailed to anyone who requires it.

Edited by Pushka

Advantage: If you miss the ship you will have a passport so you'll be able to fly to the next port or home without the hassle of obtaining or replacing your passport.

There is frequent mention on Cruise Critic forum postings that if you miss the ship they will enter your cabin safe to see if there is a passport there and leave it with the port agent for you. But I don't think that there is an actual cruise line policy or procedure on this and no assurance that this would happen.

Disadvantage: If your passport is lost or stolen you'd have the hassle of replacing it before you could fly between countries or cross certain borders.

Personally: In the Caribbean we don't even worry about it as we're almost always headed to the beach and wouldn't want to get our passport spoiled in the water. In Europe we usually carry our passport in an hidden, money belt type, pocket especially when traveling far from port on our own or on a private tour. We do carry a photo of our passport in the Caribbean and in our wallet (not the hidden one) in Europe. I also have a copy of my passport available through my iPhone or online if needed with the thought that this might expedite a replacement if necessary although I do not know if it would really help or not.

I read some old daily bulletins from prior cruises in Europe. Those from several years back said that passports must be carried on shore. Those from more recent cruises (last 5 years or so) had no mention of passports one way or the other.

I do have an accessible copy if I can get to internet and download and print it out.

Guess to me the question still would be is a copy going to work or hope that cruise line opens safe, provides originals to port agent. Otherwise, not sure of value of copy other than #.

Thanks!

Interesting thread.

What would the remedy be if you lost your passport in someplace without a consulate or embassy. Embassies are usually only in capital cities, consulates may be in larger cities, but some countries may not have a consulate. So good reason the leave it on the ship.

If you missed your ship in, say, Vigo Spain and the next port of call is Lisbon and your passport was on the ship, I don't think you could travel to another country on a copy of a passport. Your only hope is that the ship does get the passport to the port agent, so good reason to have it with you.

Haven't cruised in a few years so I don't remember what we did. But also have yet to miss a ship.

Sailing in three weeks...hope I didn't jinx us.

I think you are right, so one piece of info we should be taking off ship is the official port agent.

The U.S. government is now issuing a passport card as well as the actual passport. What are the thoughts about passport on ship and card with you ashore?

Passport card is only good for land crossings from US to Canada or Mexico and for closed loop cruises that travel round trip from a USA port. Other than that it serves as an extra photo ID. It might help speed up a replacement passport book if yours is lost or stolen, just as a photocopy might, but I don't think there is any evidence this is necessarily the case. They are not valid for flights across borders and they are not valid for passport purposes outside the USA. They were mostly developed as a convenience for residents who live near a Canadian or Mexican border and cross it often.

With that said, we did get passport cards the last time we renewed our passport books as the extra cost to get these at the same time wasn't high. I really just wanted them as backup ID cards for domestic flights. I'd wanted to get some backup ID ever since I almost lost my drivers license at an airport a couple years ago and nearly missed a flight.

Edited by Lsimon

The chances of having a passport stolen are far greater than missing a cruise ship.

Do you have firm statistics for that or is that just speculation? If you carry your passport in a pouch under your shirt, it is highly unlikely that it will be stolen. Meanwhile, you could miss the ship for any number of reasons.... traffic accident, cab or bus breakdown, sudden illness or injury, never mind just simply losing track of time (met someone onboard once who did just that at the next port)

If the worst case scenario were to occur, and we missed the ship, we would have the port agent contact the ship about either catching up at another port,

You'd need your passport if the next port is in another country.

Interesting thread.

What would the remedy be if you lost your passport in someplace without a consulate or embassy. Embassies are usually only in capital cities, consulates may be in larger cities, but some countries may not have a consulate. So good reason the leave it on the ship.

If you missed your ship in, say, Vigo Spain and the next port of call is Lisbon and your passport was on the ship, I don't think you could travel to another country on a copy of a passport.

I'm guessing you would take a train or bus to Madrid or Barcelona or whatever the closest city in Spain was that DOES have an embassy or consulate.

I do have an accessible copy if I can get to internet and download and print it out.

Guess to me the question still would be is a copy going to work

To get you on a plane for an international flight? No.

To make it a bit easier to get a new passport? Probably.

I'm guessing you would take a train or bus to Madrid or Barcelona or whatever the closest city in Spain was that DOES have an embassy or consulate.
If your passport is lost or stolen in port, yes.

But if you missed the ship, you would first check with the port agent who most likely will be holding your passport and have it safely waiting for you -- if you remembered to leave it locked in your stateroom safe.

I just Googled lost and stolen passports in Canada last.....about 55,000 in Canada alone. The number in the US must be a lot more than that, plus other countries around the world. You can't possibly tell me that more than 55,000 people missed a cruise ship last year!

I still maintain the best place for a passport is in the safe.

Nicola

Very sorry to hear about this unfortunate event. In this case, you are correct, keeping the passport in the hotel locked up was the better option.

However, when on a cruise, I disagree that its a good idea to leave the passports on the ship. In the event that you miss the ship, you would be stuck without documentation to travel to the next port which is often in another country.

Total malarkey. If you miss the ship, the ship's security people will retrieve your passport from your safe where it should be kept and turn it over to the port representative for you to retrieve when you finally show up. It is a total myth that you will be without your passport.

I agree 100%! I know someone that this happened to and fortunately they had their passport with them. On every cruise we have taken we have been told to bring our passport with us when we get off of the ship.

I have NEVER been on a cruise where we were told to bring our passports ashore unless it was required by local laws. We have always been told by the cruise lines to keep our passports locked in our safes. Even the US State Department recommends that we kept our passports locked in our safes.

Edited by boogs

There is frequent mention on Cruise Critic forum postings that if you miss the ship they will enter your cabin safe to see if there is a passport there and leave it with the port agent for you. But I don't think that there is an actual cruise line policy or procedure on this and no assurance that this would happen.

During a Q&A session with Captain Nicolas Pergonis on Celebrity Reflection two years ago he told the audience that they will ALWAYS go to the safe to look for passports if someone is at risk of missing the ship. They do NOT look in suitcases, desk drawers, etc. Only the safe.

If it wasn't company policy, I doubt he would have mentioned this to a theater full of people.

Edited by boogs

Yes, it will vary by itinerary and by your nationality. A few years back we originated in an EU contry but vistied two ports in Turkey. US and Canadian citizens surrendered their passports for the entire cruise. EU citizens did not. A cruise the following year with all EU ports, we did not.

We are US citizens and on our Med cruise last year we were not required to surrender our passports for any part of the cruise. We visited Greece, Turkey and Slovenia, as well as Spain, France, and Italy. Our passports were in our room safe the entire time.

To get you on a plane for an international flight? No.

To make it a bit easier to get a new passport? Probably.

That is what I am thinking. I will now make sure that I do have the local port agent name/contact info

We are US citizens and on our Med cruise last year we were not required to surrender our passports for any part of the cruise. We visited Greece, Turkey and Slovenia, as well as Spain, France, and Italy. Our passports were in our room safe the entire time.

We surrender our US passports on a South American cruise, but do not recall if we did on our Antarctica cruise. Guess it is hit or miss and for sure things/policies do/can change.

Do you have firm statistics for that or is that just speculation?

According to Interpol, they have amassed a list of over 40,000,000 stolen or lost passports just since 2010. I haven't heard of nearly that many people missing their ship. :D

Edited by boogs

My opinion, regardless of who will get what from my safe and deliver to whomever, if I'm on foreign soil, I will have my passport with me unless it is held by the ship due to visa requirements. Period.

If that means when I walk off the ship that I have a flashing "Passport Here!! Get your American Passport Here!" neon sign above my head, then so be it.

I don't walk around the States without my driver's license; I'm not frolicking in a foreign country without my passport.

Edited by Chirpbird
modified to make modifications