Mods to the Noordam

valifeisgood

Hello- family is on Noordam in August- any insights as to the mods to the 10th deck, VB class? thanks :D

Not sure if I understand what you are asking for.....To me a 'Mod" is short for moderator, such as the hosts/mods here on Cruise Critic....

Joanie

I believe these cabins were added during the last drydock. They appear to be the same as any verandah suite except the verandah is not as deep. I am not sure what the actual size of verandah is.

If you stay in one, I'm sure that halfacts.com would love some pictures.

Edited by jaspersmycat

25 staterooms were built where there used to a very nice sheltered sun deck. So, more passengers and fewer deck chairs. Not good.

igraf

Hello- family is on Noordam in August- any insights as to the mods to the 10th deck, VB class? thanks :D

My DH & I were in one of the 10th floor added VB cabins in Dec. on the Noordam.

We found the cabin extremely small, hot [very poor planning of HVAC vents, etc.], and we've decided that we would never cruise in one of those cabins again. In all honesty, we'd take a better located INSIDE cabin over one of these--and save a fortune.

There was a post awhile back where the OP said there was a problem with the stateroom numbering. Apparently staterooms had the same number but ended with the letter A. Somebody in an "A" cabin was causing problems for the ship passengers and crew. The passengers in the standard numbered stateroom were being blamed for things they didn't do. It wasn't a good experience from what I recall.

There was a post awhile back where the OP said there was a problem with the stateroom numbering. Apparently staterooms had the same number but ended with the letter A. Somebody in an "A" cabin was causing problems for the ship passengers and crew. The passengers in the standard numbered stateroom were being blamed for things they didn't do. It wasn't a good experience from what I recall.
That wasn't for the new deck 10 cabins, but for one of the three J insides on deck 7 - 7047A, 7049A, or 7051A. The deck 10 cabins don't have A suffixes. Edited by jtl513

• 3 weeks later...

We have just returned from staying in the deck 10 cabins on the Noordam. NEVER AGAIN. Not only were the rooms smaller than other staterooms in the same category they have been retrofitted to sleep four people. It honestly was total hell. Not only was the ac broken the whole time, the bath tub didn't drain, the sewer stench was revolting and the verandah too small to sit on without sitting sideways, the real problem was that when the single bed that dropped from the ceiling over the main bed was down it was so low that my husband and I could not sit up in bed to read. We banged our heads almost every time we got up. We spent he entire cruise with bruised heads. I would prefer not to cruise than to put up with 10 days in these cabins. I did complain but the ship was fully booked. My advise would be to try and move cabins or failing that cancel the cruise. It really was a dreadful experience.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have just returned from staying in the deck 10 cabins on the Noordam. NEVER AGAIN. Not only were the rooms smaller than other staterooms in the same category they have been retrofitted to sleep four people. It honestly was total hell. Not only was the ac broken the whole time, the bath tub didn't drain, the sewer stench was revolting and the verandah too small to sit on without sitting sideways, the real problem was that when the single bed that dropped from the ceiling over the main bed was down it was so low that my husband and I could not sit up in bed to read. We banged our heads almost every time we got up. We spent he entire cruise with bruised heads. I would prefer not to cruise than to put up with 10 days in these cabins. I did complain but the ship was fully booked. My advise would be to try and move cabins or failing that cancel the cruise. It really was a dreadful experience.

Thank you for the description of these new cabins.

Did you take any pictures of the cabin and balcony?

How many were in your cabin? Didn't your cabin have two twin beds that could be made into a Queen? We were on the Noordam two months ago, and did notice from the ground that the verandahs looked smaller. We had no problems with the A/C or any sewer smell, and I wonder if adding new cabins overloaded some of the systems.

The Noordam is our favorite HAL ship, and sorry to hear about the problems that you experienced.

I wouldn't be happy either with 10 days of no A/C, sewer smell, cramped verandah and a cramped cabin. I hope your next cruise is much more pleasant.

To be fair, the rest of our Noordam experience was great. The ship was lovely. It is just those wretched cabins on deck 10. There were four of us travelling, my husband, myself and our two teenagers. I am cross that HAL marketed these rooms as VB cabins when really they should be right at the bottom of the list possibly the same ranking and price level as an ocean view cabin but then only with two or three beds at the most. I wonder is any one from HAL has stayed in one of these cabins when the pull down bed is in operation.

Yes it would have been possible to split the main bed into twins on the opposite wall but that would have been more problematic as there was only about 40 cm from the end of the bed to the wall and this would allow no access to the sofa bed without everyone needing to duck constantly under the drop down bed. As it was a full ship the stewards were very busy and our bedroom was not serviced until around 2pm which meant that the bed could not be retracted until then ( we were not able to do it ourselves, believe me I tried!)

To be fair, the rest of our Noordam experience was great. The ship was lovely. It is just those wretched cabins on deck 10. There were four of us travelling, my husband, myself and our two teenagers. I am cross that HAL marketed these rooms as VB cabins when really they should be right at the bottom of the list possibly the same ranking and price level as an ocean view cabin but then only with two or three beds at the most. I wonder is any one from HAL has stayed in one of these cabins when the pull down bed is in operation.

Yes it would have been possible to split the main bed into twins on the opposite wall but that would have been more problematic as there was only about 40 cm from the end of the bed to the wall and this would allow no access to the sofa bed without everyone needing to duck constantly under the drop down bed. As it was a full ship the stewards were very busy and our bedroom was not serviced until around 2pm which meant that the bed could not be retracted until then ( we were not able to do it ourselves, believe me I tried!)

I feel so sorry for you all.

Definitely your cabin should not be considered a "top end" cabin.

I imagine it would be very cramped with adults and two teenagers. Did you book a GTY, book another grade of cabin and was "upgraded" (not really) or did you choose this cabin?

I understand that it's hard to tell on Deck Plans and even pictures until you physically get into a cabin.

I am glad your Noordam experience was great, despite the problems with your cabin. I think you have a great attitude as many others would let the cabin problem "ruin" their entire cruise.

Again, I hope your next cruise makes up for this one. I certainly would write a letter to HAL's headquarters in Seattle outlining the problems you experienced. They should be aware of these problems so future cruisers in those cabins wouldn't go through the same experience.

Edited by kjw869

It would be a huge help to other cruisers if you could send your pics and comments to pictures@halfacts.com. Even if you don't have pics we can certainly post any comments that you choose to share.

as long as we have the cabin number and the ship, then others are forewarned and fore armed. thanks if you have time:D

I was fully intending to take photos for Hal facts as had searched the site regularly before we left home. We were assigned the cabin when we booked 6 months out and assured by the HAL rep that it was a very desirable place to be!

I was so befuddled and stressed that I completely forgot to take a picture but I will send comments to Hal facts.

I requested a meeting with the hotel manager on board and I ended up seeing the Guest Relations Manager Marion Keijer Koopman who was amazingly sympathetic, understanding and helpful. I had a feeling she had heard it all before but I felt much better after I had spoken to her and rationally explained why Seaatle needed to fix the problems at least for the next poor occupants of deck 10. I went to the meeting armed with a written list of 10 points / suggestions so that I wouldn't cry and forget it all in my frustration.

I was fully intending to take photos for Hal facts as had searched the site regularly before we left home. We were assigned the cabin when we booked 6 months out and assured by the HAL rep that it was a very desirable place to be!

I was so befuddled and stressed that I completely forgot to take a picture but I will send comments to Hal facts.

I requested a meeting with the hotel manager on board and I ended up seeing the Guest Relations Manager Marion Keijer Koopman who was amazingly sympathetic, understanding and helpful. I had a feeling she had heard it all before but I felt much better after I had spoken to her and rationally explained why Seaatle needed to fix the problems at least for the next poor occupants of deck 10. I went to the meeting armed with a written list of 10 points / suggestions so that I wouldn't cry and forget it all in my frustration.

Tashi, It's good you told the GRM of your frustration and I'm sure she'll let the Hotel Director Mark Pells know the problems you experienced. Mark runs a wonderful ship and will certainly relay these problems to Seattle, if he hasn't already. Hopefully they can make it up to you in the future if you decide on sailing HSL again.

OH MY GOSH!

That is just SO sad that you had to deal with this substandard cabin, and take precious vacation time to meet with someone who couldn't even alleviate the situation! :(:(:(:(:(