Late night room service fee question

I'm an American and I certainly understand tipping etiquette but when it comes down to it, why exactly is it the guest's responsibility to determine how Royal Caribbean's staff gets paid and, then, if and when the guest uncovers the secret "Service Charge" percentage that goes to the server, why is it his responsibility to determine what an actual fair wage is and make up the difference? I'm all for tipping when it's clear that tipping is expected, but why do you have to go through all of the mental anguish and algebra when ordering room service?

I'm an American and I certainly understand tipping etiquette but when it comes down to it, why exactly is it the guest's responsibility to determine how Royal Caribbean's staff gets paid and, then, if and when the guest uncovers the secret "Service Charge" percentage that goes to the server, why is it his responsibility to determine what an actual fair wage is and make up the difference? I'm all for tipping when it's clear that tipping is expected, but why do you have to go through all of the mental anguish and algebra when ordering room service?

I don't see the problem - if I'm in a hotel and order room service, I tip - same thing on a ship even though I'm not paying for the food I order.

Mental anguish over a dollar or two tip?....Give me a break....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

No mental anguish, algebra, etc.

It was just a discussion between my sister and I and we wanted to know which one of us was correct. Answer received, everyone please rest easy. I never intended or imagined arguments would erupt. Safe travels all.

No mental anguish, algebra, etc.

It was just a discussion between my sister and I and we wanted to know which one of us was correct. Answer received, everyone please rest easy. I never intended or imagined arguments would erupt. Safe travels all.

When you boil it down, all that really matters is you were right and your sister was wrong, right? :D

- Susan (4 siblings)