Baggage hanfler tips when using Princess airport shuttle.

AndyTheK

DW and I use the Princes shuttle from Heathrow to the ship in Southampton. Our luggage (not hand-carry) is taken from us at the airport and trucked to the ship. We never see it until it winds up in our cabin.

A point is made on these boards that the longshoremen expect to be tipped, and we do so whenever we don't use the shuttle but come direct to an embarkation dock. But what about the times we do use the shuttle? Are the workers properly taken care of? How? Does anyone really know, not just guessing.

PS or luggage has always arrived at our cabin safe and sound - no evidence of mistreatment.

Shalom from Tel Aviv. Andy

DW and I use the Princes shuttle from Heathrow to the ship in Southampton. Our luggage (not hand-carry) is taken from us at the airport and trucked to the ship. We never see it until it winds up in our cabin.

A point is made on these boards that the longshoremen expect to be tipped, and we do so whenever we don't use the shuttle but come direct to an embarkation dock. But what about the times we do use the shuttle? Are the workers properly taken care of? How? Does anyone really know, not just guessing.

PS or luggage has always arrived at our cabin safe and sound - no evidence of mistreatment.

Shalom from Tel Aviv. Andy

Hi Andy

The longshoremen at Southampton most certainly do NOT expect to be tipped, and there is no requirement to do so. It only seems to be the case in some US ports where it is 'expected'. Even when driving to the port and unload the car they have usually taken the bags, loaded up the trolly and gone so fast it makes you dizzy.

The workers at Southampton are paid a proper wage, and on cruise turnaround for a lot of them it is an overtime day or casual work for extra money. There is very strict regulation reagrding salary and minimum wages in UK and they will not solicit or stand there staring at you waiting for you to put your hand in your pocket. There is no danger of your bag getting 'wet' or lost by not tipping.

hope that helps, and see you in June.

Edited by SwissDave

The last time we boarded in Southampton I tipped the handler. He looked at me strangely, but he certainly didn't refuse to take it. I'm going to try NOT to tip when we board there again in June.

You are correct, they will of course not refuse it. Tipping in that way is just not really done or expected by anyone in the UK, hence the strange looks.

Maybe a couple of £ on a taxi fare or restaurant bill to round it up to the next 'even' amount (e.g. £13 to £15), or to buy a barman a drink if you just ordered a big round, but thats it really.

You are correct, they will of course not refuse it. Tipping in that way is just not really done or expected by anyone in the UK, hence the strange looks.

Maybe a couple of £ on a taxi fare or restaurant bill to round it up to the next 'even' amount (e.g. £13 to £15), or to buy a barman a drink if you just ordered a big round, but thats it really.

It's very hard to teach an old dog new tricks. We Americans are used to a tipping society.

Expected or not, when using Southampton we always tip.

A pound or too is more then welcome for the good job that they do.

Dear sir, I was not asking if a tip is expected, nor what your particular practice is.. I was asking HOW one tips if there is never any contact with the people handling luggage, which is the case when taking the shuttle! The previous posts make it clear that since none is expected, the point of my query is moot.

Thanks Dave and Pia for a good clarification. See you both soon.

Shalom, Andy

Hi Andy

The longshoremen at Southampton most certainly do NOT expect to be tipped, and there is no requirement to do so. It only seems to be the case in some US ports where it is 'expected'. Even when driving to the port and unload the car they have usually taken the bags, loaded up the trolly and gone so fast it makes you dizzy.

The workers at Southampton are paid a proper wage, and on cruise turnaround for a lot of them it is an overtime day or casual work for extra money. There is very strict regulation reagrding salary and minimum wages in UK and they will not solicit or stand there staring at you waiting for you to put your hand in your pocket. There is no danger of your bag getting 'wet' or lost by not tipping.

Dear sir, I was not asking if a tip is expected, nor what your particular practice is.. I was asking HOW one tips if there is never any contact with the people handling luggage, which is the case when taking the shuttle! The previous posts make it clear that since none is expected, the point of my query is moot.

Shalom, Andy

Hmmmmm

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I was asking HOW one tips if there is never any contact with the people handling luggage, which is the case when taking the shuttle! Shalom, Andy

Princess explicity states that the purchase of their transfer includes all baggage handling--meaning that they are responsible for tipping the porters at the airport, the coach driver, and the longshoremen at the pier if and when it is customary. In the US they certainly make sure to contribute a certain amount per coach to each tipping pool.

It has been repeatedly said that tipping is much less expected in the UK when compared to the US. I can only relate my experience disembarking in Dover, where large signs in the luggage hall state that tipping is not expected and entirely optional. We engaged a porter who carted our luggage to the taxi rank, and he stayed with us until we reached the end of the queue--and held the door of the taxi open for several beats even after we were ready to go. Yes he was effusively friendly and I don't think anyone else was waiting for his service--but he sure reminded me at that moment of a NYC hotel doorman.

Edited by fishywood

Princess explicity states that the purchase of their transfer includes all baggage handling--meaning that they are responsible for tipping the porters at the airport, the coach driver, and the longshoremen at the pier if and when it is customary. In the US they certainly make sure to contribute a certain amount per coach to each tipping pool.

This is great. Can you provide a link? I checked the Princess website and couldn't find this information. I'd like to it to my wife. Thanks!

Edited by JimAOk1945

It has been repeatedly said that tipping is much less expected in the UK when compared to the US. I can only relate my experience disembarking in Dover, where large signs in the luggage hall state that tipping is not expected and entirely optional. We engaged a porter who carted our luggage to the taxi rank, and he stayed with us until we reached the end of the queue--and held the door of the taxi open for several beats even after we were ready to go. Yes he was effusively friendly and I don't think anyone else was waiting for his service--but he sure reminded me at that moment of a NYC hotel doorman.

A couple of years ago we took the Princess transfer from LGA to the pier. When we arrived someone boarded the bus and would not let anyone off until they had finished their speech about how hard pressed the luggage handlers were and that everyone would have to identify their own luggage to them and that $5.00 per bag was expected.

Shalom, Andy

Those were good responses by Dave and Pia.

A good friend in Europe once explained it to me as "people in Europe are paid a living wage, unlike service jobs in the US, so any gratuity you might want to make for excellent service is usually very small, and is not expected."

So in the case of taking the shuttle, there are no worries that the baggage handlers are properly compensated.

Edited by Times Prince