what is it with pools on a cruise ship??

We have a hot tub, run it at 100-102 degrees, which is PLENTY hot. We've yet to experience a cruise ship hot tub that got CLOSE to that temperature.

Maxing out the heat would make them uncomfortable for most people (especially those with sunburn) and could exaggerate medical issues like blood pressure.

Since we like it hot-hot-hot, we'll stay out, and leave more room for the rest of you.

The US Public Health Service has just about everything to say about how we operate cruise ships. One of their instructions is to lower jacuzzi and hot tub temperatures.

On a cruise, many of our already over-medicated passengers then choose to over-indulge with alcohol, food, and exercise. This creates dangerous blood pressure and other heart risks, which are further increased by bathing in very hot water.

USPH has also instructed cruise lines to reduce / eliminate bubbles in jacuzzis. They claim that the bubbles encourage growth of Legionella.

I grew up going to the neighborhood pool at the park and also have been in many hot tubs at friends houses and at some resorts. My skin haven't fallen off, I have not gotten any diseases or infections. I'm glad I don't go through life worrying about what might happen if I do such and such a thing! Geeze!

There is a big difference between "worrying" and just not wanting to participate. BIG DIFFERENCE.

And as for the poster who said "what you don't know can't hurt you" - it's more a matter of not liking what you DO KNOW.

For those who love the pools and hot tubs, just be happy there are so many of us you don't have to fight off.

Kathy

Edited by petesweet

There is a big difference between "worrying" and just not wanting to participate. BIG DIFFERENCE.

And as for the poster who said "what you don't know can't hurt you" - it's more a matter of not liking what you DO KNOW.

For those who love the pools and hot tubs, just be happy there are so many of us you don't have to fight off.

Kathy

EXACTLY. There's a hat for every head.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Forums mobile app

The US Public Health Service has just about everything to say about how we operate cruise ships. One of their instructions is to lower jacuzzi and hot tub temperatures.

On a cruise, many of our already over-medicated passengers then choose to over-indulge with alcohol, food, and exercise. This creates dangerous blood pressure and other heart risks, which are further increased by bathing in very hot water.

USPH has also instructed cruise lines to reduce / eliminate bubbles in jacuzzis. They claim that the bubbles encourage growth of Legionella.

Not just cruise ships. Mainstream insurance loss control requirements are similar for hot tubs at apartments and other places. Users get drunk, fall asleep, then sadly suffer sever injury or death.