BOA Points Advice Needed

We have some points that are about to expire that I need to use. If I use them for either OBC or dollars off our cruise fare, what happens if we have to cancel that cruise? Do we just lose those points or will they be re-deposited back to our account? We have about 20,000 points set to expire in May.

I am looking at a sailing that is a long way out (18+ months). There is no way for us to be certain we have child care for our kids. It is possible that we might have to book a different cruise depending on grandparents schedule. The kids will NOT be joining us on our 15th anniversary Greek Isles cruise! :)

I have been trying to find a way to cruise RCI before then, but we have an NCL Alaska cruise and Disney trip planned before then, so not much time or money for a vacation between them!

We have some points that are about to expire that I need to use. If I use them for either OBC or dollars off our cruise fare, what happens if we have to cancel that cruise? Do we just lose those points or will they be re-deposited back to our account? We have about 20,000 points set to expire in May.

I am looking at a sailing that is a long way out (18+ months). There is no way for us to be certain we have child care for our kids. It is possible that we might have to book a different cruise depending on grandparents schedule. The kids will NOT be joining us on our 15th anniversary Greek Isles cruise! :)

I have been trying to find a way to cruise RCI before then, but we have an NCL Alaska cruise and Disney trip planned before then, so not much time or money for a vacation between them!

If you cancel a cruise on which you have redeemed Visa points, you will lose the points. Better not to cancel, but to change the sail date to some future date.

As Bob suggested do not cancel the cruise but just change the cruise date or ship. This is so that you do not lose the reservation number that everything is assigned to thus not losing the points. Once you use the points they can not be put back on the card.

I am aware that they expire, but how do you know when they do? Are you able to look at the date somewhere or do you have to call to find out?

You may be able to check your points by logging into the redemption page:

https://www.managerewardsonline.com/RMSapp/Ctl/entry?pid=grprwd&mc=RCCL

Edited by clarea

Thanks everyone. We have a backup sailing that will hopefully work if our first choice doesn't work out.

I didn't see anywhere that shows when my points expire, but I know when I first earned them, so the expiration should be five years later.

I am aware that they expire, but how do you know when they do? Are you able to look at the date somewhere or do you have to call to find out?

"Reward Redemptions expire one hundred and eighty (180) days from date of transaction."

This quote is from http://www.managerewardsonline.com

The key word, I think, is "redemptions". Once points are redeemed they are good for 180 days. ? I copied that from the $50 OBC reward, didn't check the others.

Personally, I've accrued for over two years at a time and never had any un-redeemed expire.

Edited by Nhsaltshaker

To the OP: I'm sorry if I hijacked your thread, but your question made me think about the expiration of points. I am sure if you applied them as an OBC you would have no problem keeping the OBC if you move the booking.

Nhsaltshaker, thanks for the reply, not exactly what I was looking for, but informative none the less.

Just an FYI for anyone who may be interested, after speaking to C&A I was told the only way to find out when your unused accumulated points actually expire is by calling Bank of America customer service, which I did. They are actually able to tell you the number of points due to expire month by month. I was surprised to see that I had points that were 4 years old.