Locked luggage

OldBoot

We use brightly coloured zip ties - that way if they're opened and re-sealed, they won't likely replace the zip tie with the same colour. I like the "electric blue" or "day-glow orange" because it is very apparent if they are missing. Truth be told, locks and zip ties only keep out the honest people. You do what you can.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I have flown regularly for years' date=' usually long-haul transAtlantic flights, and gave up on locks long ago. I use zip ties, and carry a pack of them with me.[/quote']

I do believe I am about to become a zip-tie convert. Thanks all you zip-tie posters. For all you lock-users--carry on. Everyone has a reason for their choice and I respect that. :)

Thanks for the tip on using a pen to break the tie open. Would never have thought of that! I buy the toenail clippers at Walgreen's for 50c each and keep one in the side pocket of every bag I own. Learned early on to leave enough space when tightening the tie.

776 days at sea....39 ships.....7 continents

Princess ELITE.......... HAL 4*

Can't stand zip ties. Used them once and never again.

What didn't you like about zip ties? I find them so convenient, no keys, etc. We always have a nail clippers, and now that I know about the pen, well it makes it even better!

What didn't you like about zip ties? I find them so convenient, no keys, etc. We always have a nail clippers, and now that I know about the pen, well it makes it even better!

Speaking for myself and my personal experience it never seems to fail that either Mrs. K or I will lock a bag and then decide to open it again to move something or check/double check that an item was indeed packed. The locks allow us to lock/unlock quite quickly and, by the way, we haven't used locks requiring keys since before 9/11 and the TSA. We've probably been using combo locks for twenty years and changed to the TSA approved models whenever that requirement was announced. Again, it's a matter of personal choice and nothing is going to keep somebody who wants into a bag out. Locks are more convenient for us and we travel a lot for business and pleasure so that's what we're used to. Certainly if I got caught in a situation where I'd lost a lock or it broke I'd have no issues using a zip tie. I actually have a couple in every bag but that's because I use them to attach my homemade luggage tags.

I used them to attach my luggage tag. It was a huge pita. I now use pipe cleaners. I'm using a lock on my suitcase. I don't want to have to carry around extra tools. Great if they work for some folks.

I use TSA Lock on my checked bag whether I fly or not. This upcoming cruise I'm going to attached an 8.5x11" sign on my checked bag asking that it be put on the bed as it will be too heavy for me to lift up there to unpack. It's easy to do this cruise since I don't have to fly.

I guess we are in the minority since we haven't locked our luggage in years. Dh travels about 200 days a year, never locks his luggage, and nothing has ever been stolen. Lucky??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There's a company called Tamperseal that sells ties that don't require you to carry a cutter. They're coded with serial numbers and they're tamper evident. We normally use TSA combination locks, but we carry some zip ties as back up.

I really believe HAL's policy on locking your luggage is to hold harmless its crew. Preventing theft is less a concern than keeping my zippered luggage from becoming unzipped and spilling its contents. There's nothing of value in there...well, except my flatiron for my hair! ;)

I guess we are in the minority since we haven't locked our luggage in years. Dh travels about 200 days a year, never locks his luggage, and nothing has ever been stolen. Lucky??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

When I started travelling for work in 2000, averaging 2 flights a week with plane changes each direction -- no locks, nothing taken. TSA always opened my checked bag because I would pack all my business papers and the X-Rays just saw a big solid block. My biggest problem is the damage done to the luggage from the handling. So the condition of my luggage may have to do with no one being interested.

So, does anyone lock their luggage anymore? My Med cruise is within 2 weeks and I'm starting to read the fine print. HAL's baggage policy requires you to have your baggage on "securely constructed and locked suitcases". I realize that they are protecting themselves from liaibility here, but am curious about your habits in this regard. I stopped locking my luggage quite some time ago.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Forums mobile app

We never lock our luggage. We carry meds and valuables in our carryon.