Stuff you didn't think to do until you were a repeat cruiser

1. I now usually shower in the spa. Showers are bigger and they have those nice plush towels...it took me maybe 10 cruises before I figured this out.

2. Spend more time on my balconies. At first we didn't spend much time on them, but now we do.

3. Stay on board in those ports we've been to 500 times...it's very quiet and you have the whole ship to yourself. If you've seen it all and done it all, just relax on board while everyone else is gone.

I'm going on my 11th Carnival cruise next weekend and have finally REMEMBERED to utilize my option to shower in the SPA! Jeez! I go up there every cruise to sit in the steamroom and use the gym equipment and afterwards I always marvel at the size of the showers...but forget I can use 'em too!! :rolleyes:

I've been to Ensenada about 6 times so other than refilling some prescriptions, I'll definitely be utilizing the empty boat to my advantage! :)

Don't worry. You will find it! We will all be there getting our lunch the first day! Think food and pools. :D

You might want to share this with the Lido creations thread.

I am a tea drinker...do not care for soda that much...welll the iced tea on the ship is horrible...well it took me 2 cruises to figure out to make it myself...just use tea bag...hot water...ice..and sugar packs to my taste...and voila...sweet tea:rolleyes:

62A3E603-7A66-4F5C-9E63-9AEB6207FF5F_zpsn4khds3g.jpg

I have already made a list of things I want to remember to do on our next cruise. Thanks for a few new things to add. Chocolate cake from the coffee bar or room service. We love to get room service if we had an early excursion planned. Salmon, cream cheese and bagels are SO GOOD.

No one mentioned going to the cooking demonstration. It was a lot of fun and tasty, too.

I've never tried the Tasting Bar so that's on my list for our Freedom Cruise in December.

I also hear that you can order a plate of potato chips and pretzels from room service. May have to try that, too.

Using the spa in the spa. Never saw a kid in there. Sometimes no one else either.

I take a large mug with a lid as it holds about 3 cups of the coffee, that and a croissant and it's back to the balcony for sunrise!

I take a pair of socks to wear in the cabin--amazing how much dirt gets on them....

The small cooler for extra ice is crucial!

Great thread! as we've only taken two cruises I've enjoyed some of these tips.

I loved having room service. we always ordered juice and coffee to our rooms. It really started the day off right on the balcony!

We have cruised several times and never used the hot tubs cause they were always so crowded. Last cruise we stayed on the ship in Nassau and finally enjoyed the hot tub on the serenity deck. It was awesome and I'm sure we will try to find a time to do this again. The ship is sooo different on port days with everyone gone!

• 8 months later...
When we first started cruising (many years ago) it didn't occur to us to try to be among the first to board so that we could have ample time to explore the ship prior to sail away. There were some things, like the omelet station, or romantic little "secret" places on the ship, that we didn't discover until our second or third day. Now, with the advent of "FTTF", until we reach Platinum level, we can board early and have plenty of time to explore. Also, like snc_cam, we gave YTD a try on our last cruise and really liked it. I wish we had tried it sooner. We also opted to skip Formal Dining. It was so much more enjoyable not having to dress up for dinner.

Interesting, I think it's important that people know what they enjoy and do that! :) My husband and I love the formal night! He has a fancy suit he never gets to wear, and I have 2 formal dresses I pretty much keep just for cruises, and we think it's fun to get dressed up. We usually shower and dress up a little for all the MDR dinner nights just because we enjoy it.

And someone else commented that they DON'T like getting there early.

I think you just need to do what you enjoy and don't worry about what everyone else is doing. Don't like dressing up? Skip the MDR! Love pizza? Eat a ton of pizza! :)

This is a great thread! There's a lot of info out there for 1st time cruisers, but this is great even if you've been a few times.

1. Bring a highlighter for FunTimes and sticky notes for room steward.

2. Pack a small laundry bag & pods, DH is planning to wash and wear

3. Purchase Photos on the last day

4. Eat breakfast, lunch and dinner in the MDR as much as possible

5. Bring my own wine

6. Attend the chocolate affair and Auction for FREE drink:rolleyes:

7. Set alarm to see the sunrise while drinking coffee on the balcony

8. Be more rested for planned excursions

9. Eat at the steakhouse on the first night of the cruise.

I think that is it:)

What a beautiful thing to do together. The idea is great but the sitting together discussing the days events and then logging them is the best part of the memory-maker. Good for you folks!

We have done travel journals with our kids since they could draw (if not print) and they are the best momento ever. :)

1. I now usually shower in the spa. Showers are bigger and they have those nice plush towels...it took me maybe 10 cruises before I figured this out.

2. Spend more time on my balconies. At first we didn't spend much time on them, but now we do.

3. Stay on board in those ports we've been to 500 times...it's very quiet and you have the whole ship to yourself. If you've seen it all and done it all, just relax on board while everyone else is gone.

I used the spa showers for the first time last cruise. I will definately use them again this cruise.

I don't think I will dress to the nines on elegant night this time. Maybe a nice dress, a pretty pair of heals. My husband will be happy he can just wear a shirt and tie.

Edited by Butterbean1000

We have cruised several times and never used the hot tubs cause they were always so crowded. Last cruise we stayed on the ship in Nassau and finally enjoyed the hot tub on the serenity deck. It was awesome and I'm sure we will try to find a time to do this again. The ship is sooo different on port days with everyone gone!

The hot tubs in the spa are never crowded and I've never seen a kid in them.

Anybody else not realize a way to have more fun until their 2nd, 3rd, or even later cruise and think why they didn't do it sooner? And what was it?

-Dive in movies

-No excursions

-piano bar

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Great Idea's in this thread. I never think to bring a drink back with me to have while reading my Kindle on the Balcony. By the way, do you use the Kindle Paperwhite? I have the Kindle Fire HD but was thinking of purchasing the Paperwhite for Vacation. Last cruise I had trouble reading it in the sun.

We don't do excursions in every port anymore. I hate being rushed. That is not what Vacation is all about. We need to sit back & smell the Roses!

Love my Kindle Paperwhite, so much easier to read than my ipad or phone. I really enjoy finding a spot on the serenity deck and reading

Edited by cruisecraze96

Of all the things I forgot to bring and, was on my list , was a highlighter, for the fun times, to mark what I wanted to do the next day.

It wasn't the same underlying or circling with a pen- maybe I"m getting older ?.

I tried to order a cheese platter from room service and they didn't have the cheese platter on their menu on 2 ships in December.

In the MDR, I asked if I could take the cheese platter back to the cabin, and they said, no (Breeze and Freedom) Both said that it had something to do with dairy leaving the MDR.

With ATD, as a solo, I asked to sit with other people.

During one of the dinners, I ordered the cheese platter (a theme here !) as an appetizer, and, one couple at the table (who talked continually about how many Carnival cruises they had been on. and I mean, continuously) both looked at me in shock, asked me if I was sure I wanted to order a desert as an

appetizer, and, continually made loud sighing noises in my direction when our food came.

As the wife was sitting next to me, I really wanted to hit her up the side of the head like Mark Harmon in NCSI, but, I then realized something else- it's okay to ask for a table to sit alone, as a solo.

After eating 4 meals in the MDR with other people and I won't go in to detail about the other ones ( ok, one guy sitting next to me told me that he hoped to get some weed in Nassau, because he uses Medical Marijuana for his constipation). -solo was the way to go, for me.

I enjoy meeting other people and found that it was easier as a solo at my own table, because the tables are so close and I met some incredible couples, and ended up by sitting together (at our separate tables) throughout the cruise and also had great servers, who waited for all tables to get through one course, before bringing the other.

I changed by second and now third cruise to ATD.

The coffee shop is to die for and I found it on my second cruise. The gal remembered my caramel latte and which size ! Great vibe to sit around that area and meet other coffee lovers like me !

Two things. First, I come up with with most of my own plans in the ports now, rather than Carnival's -- or any other firm's -- excursions. Second, I laze around, reading and enjoying the ocean and my Kindle while on the ship.

I stopped humping around from on ship activity to the next because they were mostly lame and I'd rather save my energy for kayaking, hiking, and biking the the ports. To me, the ship is for complete relaxation.

There have been many great comments, but I SO agree with this one. First cruise I didn't know about this site so I didn't know about private excursions. Biggest thing though that I DONT do anymore are the lame spa talks...trim your waist, lose water weight, etc. Now I spend my time relaxing, enjoying some of the outside stuff, goofy as it is, and hit the free steam room. Found it the first cruise but not until the end. We also didn't do room service or the breakfast in the morning in the room, which was terrible since we had a balcony! :eek::rolleyes:

Slightly embarrassing but my first cruise (7-day last March) my buddy and I didn't even know about the MDR until our 3rd day aboard. For some reason I thought that the buffet was the only dining option!

1. I did learn that you can try as much as you want in the MDR. If you don't like it, get something else. If you want to try something else, get it!

2. Inside cabins are DARK! We didn't have a suitable alarm so we overslept a lot. So I will be bringing an alarm now!

The biggest tip we learned is to bring your own Tervis tumbler with lid. Great to pour your cold beverages in, especially frozen ones by the pool so they don't melt so fast.

I take flavored creamer with me too for my coffee.

My husband orders three scoops of ice cream at the MDR and a glass of milk....he then puts it in his tervis and makes a shake that is not soft serve inspired....lol

We used to just go serenity but now we really like to people watch by the pool.....FUNNY! (And stupid....amazed at stupidity)

We like the piano bar if people get involved and the piano player is on a roll.

We take champagne instead of wine and have mimosas by ordering oj for room service....great beverage on your balcony.

We always order Vodka from Bon Voyage...prices increased a few years ago and I believe that caused more smugglers....they should lower again because it is so easy. We take tonic and cranberry as our add ins and order grapefruit from room service and that rakes care of our beverages all week....except I have to have one Long Island tea everyday....love them.

Hi Silverspringcruiser :)

My answer is slightly outside of the box and really doesn't have anything

in common regarding having more fun, however it is has a common aspect

concerning the title of your post, 'Stuff you didn't think to do until you were

a repeat cruiser'...

After our very 1st voyage 31 years ago, my wife & I wrote down everything

we experienced when we got home. From our 2nd voyage on, until the present,

we decided to keep cruise journals.

Prior to going to sleep each evening my wife & I discuss the days events and

log them.

We have been doing this for over three decades now and have many journals.

The strolls down memory lane are wonderful. In some ways more entertaining

than the photo's or video we have collected over the years.

Even picking out/purchasing the journal prior to the cruise has become

a fun task in itself.

To us, it is another way, an interesting way, to save and also relive the

voyage...

:)

I do the same! I have ever since my first cruise. I have not taken as many as you, but I enjoy keeping a journal, then I take that with our pictures and video and make a "cruise DVD" of each individual cruise with commentary on what we did each day to go with the pictures. It extends my vacation just a little more, because I can never wait to get started working on it when we get home, and it gives GREAT memories down the road and making copies for everyone that went, is a great personal souvenier.

Hi Silverspringcruiser :)

My answer is slightly outside of the box and really doesn't have anything

in common regarding having more fun, however it is has a common aspect

concerning the title of your post, 'Stuff you didn't think to do until you were

a repeat cruiser'...

After our very 1st voyage 31 years ago, my wife & I wrote down everything

we experienced when we got home. From our 2nd voyage on, until the present,

we decided to keep cruise journals.

Prior to going to sleep each evening my wife & I discuss the days events and

log them.

We have been doing this for over three decades now and have many journals.

The strolls down memory lane are wonderful. In some ways more entertaining

than the photo's or video we have collected over the years.

Even picking out/purchasing the journal prior to the cruise has become

a fun task in itself.

To us, it is another way, an interesting way, to save and also relive the

voyage...

:)

I'm a scrapbooker, and I journal every day so I can remember what I did on each day to go with my photos and postcards and FunTimes....