Beds on Carnival Ships

dyoung1550

Just off the Inspiration and the indentations when the bed was made into a king made it almost impossible for my husband and I to sleep next to each other. I asked for a topper and they said that they don't offer them any longer. We just slept on one side or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Does anyone remember when Carnival used to provide a flyer in your cabin trying to sell you the mattress sets they use? They had some name for them like "Cloud" something or other. Not any more! Having cruised with Carnival 26 times, over 14 years, I can assure you these are not the same mattresses. Like many other items they became victims of cost reduction. I read something about 3-4 years ago which contained a statement from Carnival they were still buying mattresses from the same supplier they had been buying from for years and that there was no change in the quality of the bedding. I envisioned a bit of "nose growth" with that one!!!

I 100% agree with you on that one. After 30 cruises on Carnival they are NOT the same mattresses they used to have and sell as comfort bedding. They've denied and denied changing but too many people noticed. I now find them either rock hard or worn out most of the time. The only thing the cabin stewards can do is put another comforter under the bottom sheet to try to make it a little better. No more egg crates on most ships.

Edited by LRene

We haven't been troubled by the beds on any of our Carnival cruises until this most recent one, two months ago on the Miracle [which seems to be the ship most people on this thread are discussing!]. We asked for mattress toppers but were told there were none available.

So, we took matters into our own hands...

Look under your bed, if it's the two twins assembled into one king. The comforters that are used when the beds are separate are kept under there in plastic zipper storage bags. We unpacked them and put them on our king bed, over the bottom sheet. Every morning, we made sure to roll them up and stuff them into a closet so the stewards wouldn't take them away from us! Yes, it was extra work, but it made the bed tolerable for us.

On the last morning, we left them on the bed so they would get washed before being re-used.

• 4 months later...

Beds are a matter of comfort for everyone, but it's also an opinion as everyone likes a different level of firm or softness. So far I have been on 3 Carnival ships (Legend, Freedom and Ecstasy) and found the beds to feel different each time. The best was on the Ecstasy...the worst was on the legend where I decided to spend one night curled up in a basket chair on Serenity. I always bring my own hypoallergenic pillow no matter where I go so I have no opinion on the pillows.

The thought of using a pillow that tons of other people have used kinda grosses me out. No nice clean-smelling pillow case disguises the fact that other people have been sweating, drooling or (insert icky thought here) on it. Anyone watch Hotel Hell? I did notice on the Ecstasy, the mattresses had a plastic protective cover on them similar to the cover I have on my bed at home, so bonus points for them.

Our first cruise was on the Fantasy and the beds were fantastic. Last two were on the Freedom, once was OK and the last was awful for me. Back pure hurt by the time cruise was over. I was waking up several times a night. Now the sheets and comforter - they were wonderful.

Carnival beds have always been fantastic until our last sailing. It was rock hard and on top of that when they put the two beds together to make a king size bed they were different heights. I asked the steward to remedy this and he did his best to fix it. It was better but not good. I suppose I should have escalated it further. Anyhow, I actually got a comment card (first time!) and I mentioned the bed issue. I told them I wanted Carnival Comfort Collection back!

I've never had trouble with carnival beds until my last cruise, just a few weeks ago, on the Sunshine. It was rock hard! I asked for a foam topper but they didn't have them. The steward doubled over a duvet and put it on the mattress. It helped but the bed was still very hard. I think they have reduced the quality of the mattresses.

Sent from my Galaxy Note

DH & I have the Sleep Number beds at home... his side is set at 0- as soft as you can get it. Mine? 100- as hard as it gets! So it doesn't matter what the bed is like, one of us is doomed to a poor sleep! when we arrive at a new hotel, the first one to sit on the bed will usually tell the other 'well, looks like you're going to be sleeping well tonight' or 'oh well, looks like it's my turn for a decent sleep!'

So I expect that one of us won't be happy... the only thing I hope for, is to avoid that horrible dip in the middle of the bed that has you constantly rolling into the center!