Drinks on Board

BigWI

My wife drinks a lot of soda, so the soda package makes sense for her.

I drink very little soda, (less then 2/week). I also only drink a 2-3 beers per week. So the all you can drink soda package makes no sense for me. I drink a ton of coffee and water

Since it is vacation, I may drink more beer than normal, so the beer package may make sense.

Just curious if anyone knows the individual drink prices for Beer or soda?

Beers run from $4.25 to $5.75 each +15%

Soft drinks are $1.95 each + 15%

If you drink lots of coffee buy the card: $33.35 total. This will get you unlimited fresh brewed coffee and 15 punches for specialty coffees. Any leftover punches can be used for specialties on your next Princess cruise.

From reading the boards have learned that if buy beer pkg before arrive as gift to yourself:$23.25 ( $3.87 each), if order through Room service $24.44, Those prices are 6 for price of 5.

At pool a bucket is 5 for 4 at $22.77 which comes to 4.55 each

Thanks Pia & JoAnne

That is very helpful.

I'm not sure of the coffee card yet, my idea of good coffee is McDonald's. I don't like the fancy stuff. I thought I would see how bad the free stuff is the first day then decide whether to buy the coffee card or not.

Thanks Pia & JoAnne

That is very helpful.

I'm not sure of the coffee card yet, my idea of good coffee is McDonald's. I don't like the fancy stuff. I thought I would see how bad the free stuff is the first day then decide whether to buy the coffee card or not.

Coffee is free in the Horizon court all day. It is made from a liquid concentrate, just like Burger King. If you like to carry water around, bring a sport bottle. You will have ice in your room fridge. Purchasing bottled water on board can get costly, and the tap water is just as good. My understanding is that on the Royal they have a brewed coffee maker on the Horizon Terrace and there is no charge. I haven't seen it personally.

Thanks Pia & JoAnne

That is very helpful.

You cannot compare McDonald's with Princess free coffee. McCafe is far better and tastes like coffee. ;) I will add though, that I drink my coffee black. Those who use "moo" and/or sweetener, can usually tolerate it.

From reading the boards have learned that if buy beer pkg before arrive as gift to yourself:$23.25 ( $3.87 each), if order through Room service $24.44, Those prices are 6 for price of 5.

At pool a bucket is 5 for 4 at $22.77 which comes to 4.55 each

Be aware that there are limited selections available in the beer package vs what you can get at the bars. I think the room service package is limited to Beck's, Coors Light, Dos Equis, Miller Genuine Draft, and Miller Lite, and they come in the typical-sized can. But if you are a Budweiser drinker, you have to get those products from the bars and they come in the larger 16 oz aluminum bottles. So the pool bucket costs a bit more per beer, but they may be larger and other brands than you can get from room service. At least that's been our experience.

You cannot compare McDonald's with Princess free coffee. McCafe is far better and tastes like coffee. ;) I will add though, that I drink my coffee black. Those who use "moo" and/or sweetener, can usually tolerate it.

I drink mine Black too, but I drank Navy coffee, so I am use to bad.

I suspect I will probably buy the coffee card, but being cheap I want to make sure it is worth while (i.e. the ship coffee is worse than navy coffee).

Be aware that there are limited selections available in the beer package vs what you can get at the bars. I think the room service package is limited to Beck's, Coors Light, Dos Equis, Miller Genuine Draft, and Miller Lite, and they come in the typical-sized can. But if you are a Budweiser drinker, you have to get those products from the bars and they come in the larger 16 oz aluminum bottles. So the pool bucket costs a bit more per beer, but they may be larger and other brands than you can get from room service. At least that's been our experience.

Works for me, being from Milwaukee, MGD will suit me fine ;)

McDonald's serves drip coffee. Burger King uses the same system as the Princess buffet with the concentrate. The problem with drip coffee is that it starts to get bad tasting in about 20 mins.when it sits in the pot on the heating pad. The coffee has to be removed from the pot and stored in a vacuum dispenser to sort of preserve the taste. With the concentrate you have consistent flavor all the time, and it's fine with milk & sugar. With McDonald's don't try to order coffee at 3 in the afternoon. It can be nasty after sitting for hours.

On Princess I use the coffee card, but can tolerate the buffet coffee as I drink it milk, no sugar.

We pre-ordered the beer pkg for our Ruby cruise & again for the Caribbean Princess cruise in June. Dos Equis comes in glass bottles(on the Ruby they did) which is fine for us since that is what we like. Nice to sit on the balcony while having a ice cold beer :D.

Coffee card is $31 if you pre order on Princess site - saves a little bit... : )

Yeah - I'm torn if I should start doing that or not. It's a savings of $4.65, but it's the tip that gets cut for pre-orders. In reality, the $4.65 is probably less than a penny per crew member that shares in that pool, so probably doesn't matter.

Yeah - I'm torn if I should start doing that or not. It's a savings of $4.65, but it's the tip that gets cut for pre-orders. In reality, the $4.65 is probably less than a penny per crew member that shares in that pool, so probably doesn't matter.

Not $4.65; it's the difference between $31 and $33.35. Savings is $2.35.

We pre-ordered the beer pkg for our Ruby cruise & again for the Caribbean Princess cruise in June. Dos Equis comes in glass bottles(on the Ruby they did) which is fine for us since that is what we like. Nice to sit on the balcony while having a ice cold beer :D.

I totally agree! We always keep the refrige stocked so we can enjoy cold ones on the balcony:) Just didn't want people to think that ALL brands of beer were included in the room service package. I'm bummed they don't offer more brands. In the past we've carried some on, but it sounds like those days are long gone. Oh well, we're still on a cruise and I won't complain!

What kinds of juice are available in the buffet area? Is it available all day or just at breakfast? We will be on the Golden in June, not sure if all ships are the same.

Juice, in any venue, is an extra charge except at breakfast. Whether in dining room or buffet, orange is what's served, but you can request prune, pineapple, grapefruit, tomato and perhaps something else.

DH drinks a couple of sodas a day. We just bring a box or two (12/box) in a duffle bag. We've never had a problem bringing sodas onboard to enjoy in the room. He doesn't take them out for meals though, so if you want soda with meals, you might want the soda card.

DH drinks a couple of sodas a day. We just bring a box or two (12/box) in a duffle bag. We've never had a problem bringing sodas onboard to enjoy in the room. He doesn't take them out for meals though, so if you want soda with meals, you might want the soda card.

I take my soda to meals. You don't have a problem bringing them on, because there's so reason to secrete them. So why hide them at meals?

So if juice is extra except at breakfast, is there no drink station available in the buffet area? I have previously cruised on Carnival which had lemonade, tea, & water available at all times. Just trying to figure out if I need to bring water or lemonade with me.

So if juice is extra except at breakfast, is there no drink station available in the buffet area? I have previously cruised on Carnival which had lemonade, tea, & water available at all times. Just trying to figure out if I need to bring water or lemonade with me.

Lemonade, Tea and Water are Available along with Hot Tea and Coffee. Juice isn't available in the Horizon Court Buffet after breakfast

Edited by Jadn13

Lemonade, Tea and Water are Available along with Hot Tea and Coffee. Juice isn't available in the Horizon Court Buffet after breakfast

You may/will have to ask for lemonade. I haven't seen a serve yourself spigot yet. Then again, maybe the Royal had one. ??? Can't you tell I'm not a lemonade afficionado.

Edited by Pia1913

Beers run from $4.25 to $5.75 each +15%

Soft drinks are $1.95 each + 15%

If you drink lots of coffee buy the card: $33.35 total. This will get you unlimited fresh brewed coffee and 15 punches for specialty coffees. Any leftover punches can be used for specialties on your next Princess cruise.

Good Info PIA, Thanks.

I know the beer card will save me a couple of bucks. I am trying to decide if I should buy the soda card (for my wife) and the coffee card (for me).

My wife will drink 5-6 sodas a day :(, is the $1.95+ for fountain soda or can? I believe the card was only good for Fountain correct? She only drinks Diet Coke, do you know if they have Coke or Pepsi?

I will drink 2-3 cups of coffee a day :(, but I don't drink any specialty coffee.

If I buy brewed coffee do you know how much it is per cup? I plan on trying the free stuff and see how bad it is then decide.

Does it include hot chocolate?

Thanks in advance:)

Good Info PIA, Thanks.

I know the beer card will save me a couple of bucks. I am trying to decide if I should buy the soda card (for my wife) and the coffee card (for me).

My wife will drink 5-6 sodas a day :(, is the $1.95+ for fountain soda or can? I believe the card was only good for Fountain correct? She only drinks Diet Coke, do you know if they have Coke or Pepsi?

I will drink 2-3 cups of coffee a day :(, but I don't drink any specialty coffee.

If I buy brewed coffee do you know how much it is per cup? I plan on trying the free stuff and see how bad it is then decide.

Does it include hot chocolate?

Thanks in advance:)

1. Coke products only and fountain soda only. No cans with card. If wife drinks that much Coke, card pays for her.

2. Brewed coffee runs $1.25 to $1.75 depending on size. This is for the takeaway container which they automatically give you unless you ask for a cup. More coffee in container than cup.

3. Coffee card always uncluded hot chocolate, but I understand they changed it recently. I still have a bunch of cards that include the hot chocolate, but doesn't affect me since I never drink the stuff.