Ketchikan vs seattle for duck tour

luv2gamble

Leaving Seattle to Alaska May 17, want 2 do duck tour but can't decide do it in Seattle or Ketchikan. Seattle is cheaper $28 pp, Ketchikan with NCL is $44. Figure its a coin flip as far as weather, both have poor rep. We are coming 1 day before cruise and going to Space Needle for lunch and then no plans after that yet. We will have the entire day when ship returns because flight is not until 9 pm we were doing to do Pike Market and the rest of the day is open. Now, Ketchikan we have no plans but to poss do the duck tour. Not interested in totem poles and stuff like that. Tour looks like fun, unless it rains. Any ideas?

Leaving Seattle to Alaska May 17, want 2 do duck tour but can't decide do it in Seattle or Ketchikan. Seattle is cheaper $28 pp, Ketchikan with NCL is $44. Figure its a coin flip as far as weather, both have poor rep. We are coming 1 day before cruise and going to Space Needle for lunch and then no plans after that yet. We will have the entire day when ship returns because flight is not until 9 pm we were doing to do Pike Market and the rest of the day is open. Now, Ketchikan we have no plans but to poss do the duck tour. Not interested in totem poles and stuff like that. Tour looks like fun, unless it rains. Any ideas?

There's more to see in Seattle (Lake Union houseboats, etc.) and the Duck tours load right across the street from the Space Needle, so you'll already be right there.

There's more to see in Seattle (Lake Union houseboats, etc.) and the Duck tours load right across the street from the Space Needle, so you'll already be right there.

Nice. I didnt know it was right there. That makes a big diff. My flight lands 11:30 am. Figured after getting luggage I should be at hotel (if all goes good) by 1 pm. I have lunch reservations at the needle for 2 pm. Then I can go right to the duck. Works out great:D BTW, The restaurant is only 50ft below the top of needle with same view and its free to go there and its $19 to go to top. So, for a little more, I get lunch and a nice sit down view. I'll just get that $27 burger LOL. 2pm is last call for lunch then its dinner prices and thats double according to the menu $$$$ Works out great! Thanks

We did the Seattle Duck tour a couple of years ago. It was great! Have not done Ketchikan yet, and at that price, probably won't.

Thanks, so true, price almost half. Plus, they have $4 off coupons too:D Originally looked good for ketchikan bec not much im interested in doing there. So, guess i will just go the creek street and shop there LOL

We did the Seattle Duck Tour in 2009 and it was great; take you past a few prime spots downtown and then bring you onto Lake Union to tour the houseboats. It was a blast, especially if you have a good driver! We're opting out of the Ketchikan Duck Tour and spending our $$ on the Misty Fjords excursion.

We're also heading out on 5/17 :D Golden Princess R/T Seattle!! Can't wait!

Decided to just shop and walk around ketchikan. I printed out what they call a WALING MAP of Ketchikan and its all numbered and tells you what all is. Going to go to Creek street. Will do the Duck Tour in Seattle. So many people said its great and almost 1/2 the price of the Alaska one. I will be at the space needle anyway. So, doing lunch at space needle, then the duck tour, then going across the street to Chihuly Garden & glass. Im not much for these kind of things and museums and stuff but this looks so cool and I cant miss it. anyone interested go to http://www.chihulygardenandglass.com I never saw anything like this in my life. Thanks all

Decided to just shop and walk around ketchikan. I printed out what they call a WALING MAP of Ketchikan and its all numbered and tells you what all is. Going to go to Creek street. Will do the Duck Tour in Seattle. So many people said its great and almost 1/2 the price of the Alaska one. I will be at the space needle anyway. So, doing lunch at space needle, then the duck tour, then going across the street to Chihuly Garden & glass. Im not much for these kind of things and museums and stuff but this looks so cool and I cant miss it. anyone interested go to www.chihulygardenandglass.com I never saw anything like this in my life. Thanks all

Chihuly's glass work is gorgeous, keep in mind you can't see much of anything from outside. They want your $$$ admission to get inside and see the art...

Jim

Chihuly's glass work is gorgeous, keep in mind you can't see much of anything from outside. They want your $$$ admission to get inside and see the art...

Jim

Its $20 but just so happens that the day I would be going they are closing the glass house and will take off $4 from admission. She said the glass house is about 10% what I would be missing. The glass house is what I want to see. Is it still worth going or should I see it when the ship returns instead of the day before the cruise?

Its $20 but just so happens that the day I would be going they are closing the glass house and will take off $4 from admission. She said the glass house is about 10% what I would be missing. The glass house is what I want to see. Is it still worth going or should I see it when the ship returns instead of the day before the cruise?

That I can't answer because I've never spent the $$ to go inside :-) Seen enough Chihuly pieces I refuse to pay that much for a few more...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That I can't answer because I've never spent the $$ to go inside :-) Seen enough Chihuly pieces I refuse to pay that much for a few more...

Me too but I was dragged along. Actually pretty cool, although I agree with a local columnist that the name should really be the "Dale Chihuly Self-Aggrandizement Center."

Got a couple of decent snaps, e.g. http://gardyloo.us/20120906_136s.JPG and http://gardyloo.us/20120906_180s.JPG

Note however that there are numerous pieces of Chihuly's work on view (for free) at the Sheraton Hotel and US Bank Centre (5th and Pike) in downtown Seattle.

This doesn't even make sense. In one tour you see Seattle. In another tour you see Ketchikan. If there were two competing duck tours iin Seattle and you were trying to see which one was cheapest then it would make sense. Here you're trying to compare apples to oranges. Go do whichever one you want. They are both different.

or....you can be like me who's newest goal in life is to do ALL duck tours wherever I may be :D:D i love the fun and cheesiness :D:D 2 down -- seattle and san diego ... ketchikan is next!!!

I am planning on doing the duck tour in Seattle. Where did you get the coupon for $4 off?

I have read in some post here on cruise critic that the Ketchikan duck tour was a waste of time, but since you are a fan of that type of tour I think you should formulate your own opinion. I am sure you probably can purchase the tour at the dock instead of thru the ship and it may save you a little money.

Have Fun!

Edited by dpkd

This doesn't even make sense. In one tour you see Seattle. In another tour you see Ketchikan. If there were two competing duck tours iin Seattle and you were trying to see which one was cheapest then it would make sense. Here you're trying to compare apples to oranges. Go do whichever one you want. They are both different.

It might be different areas to see, but basically its the same type. Therefore, I would only do one. Can say the same for everything. zip line in Alaska or Canada....helicopter in skagway or juneau...many are duplicates but diff areas. Just because you like to do it, does not mean you would do it in 2 diff areas. I want to do different things at each port.

1. there are free maps available at the visitor centers for a walking tour of the town. Even if you don't enjoy the totems, you might want to consider taking the local bus out to Totem Bight .... it's a beautiful waterfront area, nice to walk around.

2. the Chihuly exhibit is incredible! I thought it would be an ok thing to do with my 55 yr old brother when he was in town, and we were both 'blown away". Neither one of us are art lovers but his works and the way they are displayed is fantastic. My favorite was the outdoor garden.

1. there are free maps available at the visitor centers for a walking tour of the town. Even if you don't enjoy the totems, you might want to consider taking the local bus out to Totem Bight .... it's a beautiful waterfront area, nice to walk around.

2. the Chihuly exhibit is incredible! I thought it would be an ok thing to do with my 55 yr old brother when he was in town, and we were both 'blown away". Neither one of us are art lovers but his works and the way they are displayed is fantastic. My favorite was the outdoor garden.

do you think I am missing much if the glass house is closed? Yes, the garden looks awesome. As far as the map, i read they have it there but I printed it so I have something to look at on the 6 hour plane flight LOL...ty:D

I think the Garden exhibit alone is worth $20 so I think you'll be fine missing the Glass House.

And I highly recommend the Ducks in Seattle. We always take out of town guests and it's always a hit. You can go from Westlake Center or Seattle Center,whichever is most convenient.

If your cruise stops in Skagway, visit the Klondike and Goldrush Museum there. Visit the one in Seattle also, as a way to start off your Alaska adventure. In the past there has been no admission charge.

Edited by mapleleaves

I think the Garden exhibit alone is worth $20 so I think you'll be fine missing the Glass House.

And I highly recommend the Ducks in Seattle. We always take out of town guests and it's always a hit. You can go from Westlake Center or Seattle Center,whichever is most convenient.

If your cruise stops in Skagway, visit the Klondike and Goldrush Museum there. Visit the one in Seattle also, as a way to start off your Alaska adventure. In the past there has been no admission charge.

I just booked the Duck tour in Seattle. Thank God I didnt wait. Almost all booked up for 5/16 already. Skagway I am totally booked for every minute I am there, however, I might be able to ck out Klondike in Seattle...Now that you said the Garden is worth it alone, I am going for sure. Its right across from the duck tour anyway and I will be right there Thanks for the info :D

I am planning on doing the duck tour in Seattle. Where did you get the coupon for $4 off?

I have read in some post here on cruise critic that the Ketchikan duck tour was a waste of time, but since you are a fan of that type of tour I think you should formulate your own opinion. I am sure you probably can purchase the tour at the dock instead of thru the ship and it may save you a little money.

Have Fun!

Yes, I hear the Ketchikan duck tour is a waste and hear nothing but great reviews for Seattle. The coupon is in the booklets at most hotels. The booklet is called supersaver and SOMETIMES they have it on their facebook. There is another coupon you can get online but I lost the link to it. Tried to google it but i can't find it LOL. You also save .50 cents if you book online LOL. I almost didnt get my tix for 5/16, they are selling out fast. If you intend on going, I would book it now if you can. Remember, no refunds so make sure you have the exact time and day you want to go. Someone said they went to buy them in person and had to wait almost 2 hours for tix.

we had family visiting a few weeks ago. Even on Sun 3/23 the Ducks were full! We couldn't get our group of 8 on until 4pm. Granted, they'll have more vehicles in operation for the summer, but it was a surprise to see them so full.

We also took the water taxi to Alki Beach in West Seattle. There were several curious seals sitting on a buoy in front of Saltys restaurant that took turns coming to the pier to visit. And there's a bald eagles nest across the street from Saltys.

As for Ketchikan Ducks being a waste, it's all subjective. There are plenty of people who thoroughly loved the trip. Same as the Bering Sea tour .... some think it's the best, others think it's overpriced.

Edited by mapleleaves

Our group of 4 adults did the duck tour in Ketchikan. It was pouring rain, we walked over to buy tickets when we docked and then wandered around town until the time. All of us had waterproof jackets and made the most of that day and enjoyed the tour.

I'll see if I have any good photos when I get on a computer.

Things are more expensive in Alaska because the tourist season is short and regular necessity prices are more for the locals year round.

we had family visiting a few weeks ago. Even on Sun 3/23 the Ducks were full! We couldn't get our group of 8 on until 4pm. Granted, they'll have more vehicles in operation for the summer, but it was a surprise to see them so full.

We also took the water taxi to Alki Beach in West Seattle. There were several curious seals sitting on a buoy in front of Saltys restaurant that took turns coming to the pier to visit. And there's a bald eagles nest across the street from Saltys.

As for Ketchikan Ducks being a waste, it's all subjective. There are plenty of people who thoroughly loved the trip. Same as the Bering Sea tour .... some think it's the best, others think it's overpriced.

LOL, Didnt see you come from Washington. Since you live in the area, I booked Spring Hill Suites Downtown Seattle by Marriott for the day b4 the cruise. Its only for one night but just wondering if you know anything good or bad about it? ty