Cruise Critic Cruise Meets

Queen of Oakville

I saw on another thread where someone mentioned that they were intimidated to join/start a cruise meet.

Thought it might be helpful to cruising newbies to share some info on what to expect from joining a cruise meet.

Usually I'm late to the cruising party to I've never started a meet. I've been to Cruise Critic cruise meets for my Eurodam, FOTS, and Oasis cruises. For both of my DCL cruises, I've joined cruisemeets from other sites (many of whom also joined the Cruise Critic cruisemeet).

The period leading up to your cruise is a good opportunity to get to know your fellow cruisers. Sometimes, friendships are forged - sometimes they are not : )

Some organize a Cabin Crawl. This is done usually at the Cruise Meet. While we've never participate in it .... its a nice opportunity to see the other suites and cabin classes that you might want to consider for the next time.

On many of the cruise meets, we've organized an informal meet-up at a pool deck bar on the first day which follows with the Cruise Critic meet up organized by the Cruise Line.

On some of our meets (all the non-DCL ones) - we've had a slot pull. Everyone contributes a few dollars and then we put it all on one machine and everyone gets a shot at a pull. The winnings (we've always been lucky) get divided. There is no obligation to participate if gambling is not your thing. Usually this follows the Cruise Critic Meet (often the first sea day).

Some cruise meets (but not all) organize a small gift exchange, but I think this is more comment to the DCL cruises.

I've been lucky to make some lasting friendships from these meets, but it doesn't always happen. On my Oasis cruise, there was a large private group that dominated our meet thread, and I really didn't have a lot in common with most.

If you've got a cruise coming up, check your cruise meet thread and sign up! It can be a lot of fun. If it's your first one, and your nervous about crazy internet people, just stick to your screen name. You're under no obligation to give your real name, but can do so, if and when you are ready.

You can find your cruisemeet here, but clicking on your cruise line and then your sail date:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Good advice! We were on the Equinox a couple of weeks ago and had a very active Roll Call. About 30 of us met at the Sunset Bar for sail-away. We had a well attended Meet & Mingle. At the M&M we had a gift exchange and put together a cabin crawl. We also had a Slot Pull on the 2nd sea day where we had 44 people participate. We made several new friends that we now keep up with via Facebook.

At worst you meet some people you will never see again, and at best you make new friends for a life time. :)

Good advice, we were on a 5 day sailing so couldn't have an official M&M but we were suppose to meet others on our roll call at the Sunset Bar after Sailaway. Because no one knew who was who, I only met one cruiser who I had seen her picture. There might have been others or might not have been. I suggest you arrange to wear a sticker name tag or wear beads or something specific instead of just "lets meet at the such and such place".

Problem that I found with the meets and sail aways is that no one wants to really mingle or be out going. They just sit there and don't try to meet anyone.

I try to meet as many as I can by walking around introducing myself instead of grabbing a seat. The other is since everyone uses a screen name no one knows who you if you wear a name tag with your real name.

Ed 👴🎱🇺🇸

We had a roll call meet on the first day and went to the Cruise Critic meet the next day. Between the two meets we met some nice people. So many in fact that it meant it was impossible to move from A to B without stopping to say hello to someone.

Chatting to people on cruises is easy.....you all have one major thing in common....the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Best meet up ever was in Sydney.

We had planned to meet at the outdoor rooftop pool area of a hotel that looks over the pier the night before our Jewel departure. We planned a cocktail party with bring your own booze and each person was going to bring an appetizer to share. It was to be a 'heavy apps' dinner.

An unexpected major rainstorm decided to rain on our parade.

Lemons to lemonade: our leader asked the hotel if we could hold our event in the lobby bar. Yes for the event and the food but as expected no for the drinks. No worries and they even brought in an extra bartender to handle our crowd. We were about 35 that attended.

I still remember my husband's concern " in Australia we are going to the roof of a hotel we are not staying at, carrying beer and hummas with veggies, to meet a bunch of people that you've never met but chatted with on the Internet?'

We had a lovely party and enjoyed meeting each other around the ship afterwards.

Problem that I found with the meets and sail aways is that no one wants to really mingle or be out going. They just sit there and don't try to meet anyone.

I try to meet as many as I can by walking around introducing myself instead of grabbing a seat. The other is since everyone uses a screen name no one knows who you if you wear a name tag with your real name.

Ed

I can be shy too, especially when I'm with my DH who doesn't know anyone. We've been lucky on my cruise meets that there is one outgoing person who really rallies the whole group together.

Good advice, we were on a 5 day sailing so couldn't have an official M&M but we were suppose to meet others on our roll call at the Sunset Bar after Sailaway. Because no one knew who was who, I only met one cruiser who I had seen her picture. There might have been others or might not have been. I suggest you arrange to wear a sticker name tag or wear beads or something specific instead of just "lets meet at the such and such place".

Yes! I definitely helps when the group comes up with some "identifier". A Hawaiian lei is a common one. I often wear my "tiara" to the M&M, so people know me as the Queen :D

Ed

Sometimes Celebrity doesn't help, I did the meet and greet on the Silhouette in December and they gave out nametags with our real names on them. Nobody knew who anyone was since they didn't put their screen names on the tags.

Before we left we had all agreed to wearing Mardis Gras beads during the sail-away. So anyone wearing beads we would ask if they were part of CC.

I also keep up with the names on the Roll Call and print a list to take with us. During our M&M my very outgoing wife read off the screen names and asked each couple and/or group to introduce themselves with their name and where they were from.

We have been to a previous M&M where there wasn't any M or M. ;) reading the names sort of broke the ice and allowed people to find someone they may have wanted to make a point of meeting.

If you're going to take the time to join a Roll Call. Be proactive, make suggestions on how you might identify one another! You may meet a new friend.

Edited by mpace58