Help Please!

Marietta

I know I can find answers if I search, and I usually do for days, but I just don't have time right now. My mother was just (told us on Tuesday) diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and given 3 1/2 - 4 months to live. She started chemo yesterday, so we hope it will be longer, but she REALLY wants to go to Alaska. I am looking at the HA Oosterdam on May 11 from Vancouver to Seward. Now to my lack of searching-

Odd numbered balconies in the front (starboard) would give us the best views of land while cruising north, right?

We are Platinum with Carnival and have cruised NCL, but that is it. Is the Oosterdam a decent choice? (Prices, itinerary and availability are the best I could find)

Is May just to early to do Alaska? I was planning on 7 days after the cruise for touring. They want to do Denali and go to the arctic circle from Fairbanks and I was going to fill in around that.

I am usually anal about researching, but she wants to get the cruise and air booked so she KNOWS we are going and I'm just a "little" bit overwhelmed right now!

If she just started Chemo how will she be able to leave???

The date you picked is VERY early for the Alaska season but it sounds like sooner is better than later for your mom. She should go while she is able.

Prayers to you all....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

May is early, and may be a bit cooler, but it is dryer as well, so you should not have to deal with as much rain as later in the season. We have done the first cruise available for the season several times, and it was fine. In fact, we sailed on May 10 one year, and it was one of the best. I have also sailed on HAL and they do a very good job in Alaska. While I have not been on the Oosterdam, I would not hesitate to book it if it fit what I wanted to do and when I wanted to do it.

Our best wishes for your mom and family. It's so nice of you to take this over so she doesn't have to worry about it at all.

It will be cooler on the cruise, but also drier, as has been said. The problem may be with the land tour. In Denali even the buses to Toklat don't start until May 20, and Eielson shuttles start June 1st. To get to the Arctic Circle, you'll be heading up the highway towards the end of breakup, so I'd get a pretty skookum vehicle that can handle mud, not a compact. We may have a very late Spring - there was no hint of it arriving even in Skagway when I was there a couple of days ago (the high temp for the day was 36 degrees).

If Denali is a priority then I would look for a cruise the third week of May, northbound. Then get a shuttle bus to Toklat or Eielson. I would think Eielson would be preferable, for the visitor center, nice seating, flush toilets, indoor eating, running water.

I am assuming you are going with her?

For the Arctic Circle I recommend ONLY the fly/van tours, if doing a day trip. The all road trips are going to be WAY too much for someone medically compromised. I recommend you take a look at the tours offered by Northern Alaska tour company. They do a great job.

We recently did our first HAL cruise on the Westerdam, which is a sister of the Oosterdam. We enjoyed it a lot. You can see what our experience was with lots of photos on our website www.thepreismans.com. I think it would be a fine ship for your mom, with the promenade deck that goes around the whole ship.

I do not quite know how to say this but here goes.

When you book, make sure to check on "cancel for any reason" insurance. You need to do this as soon as you book and you should check with the agent with regard to your special issues and get all you replies in writing.

You have my sympathy and I sure hope that she gets to go on her cruise.

DON

Marietta: You also have my best wishes. In early 2009 my mother was diagnosed with Stage III or IV (there is some disagreement between the oncologist and surgeon, so just take your pick) breast cancer, but despite the fact it is an aggressive cancer is doing incredibly well. I really believe that part of the reason she has done so well is that she always has plans for something to do. So planning and anticipating this trip may be part of your Mom's therapy.

As already noted by huskyguy a really early northbound trip in May may actually be too early to coordinate a trip to Denali. But May in SE Alaska is lovely, and generally doesn't have as much rain as later in the summer. In Fairbanks in May the trees will have leafed out and folks will be planting flowers.

Northern Alaska Tour Company is a local highly reputable company. They do a great job.

Marietta,

How wonderful that you can plan this trip with your parents and that your mom's medical team is willing to work around it all. I hope you all have a wonderful time. My prayers are with you all.

PSUtraveler (Becky)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We booked the Oosterdam getting off in Seward on May 18. Adjacent balconies on the land side! Now to figure out how to get to Anchorage to rent a car for our week of exploring Alaska. Mom is excited and really looking forward to the trip. Off to research what we want to do and how to get where we want to go.

Thank you Everyone for all the suggestions and well wishes. (still open to any more on what we should do...) :-)

I am a 17 yr breast cancer survivor. I believe God is the only one that can say when your time is up. Your mother sounds like a strong lady. I pray she not only goes on this trip and has a wonderful time but enjoys many more years to come.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My mom also had a dire diagnosis when I took her on a cruise to Alaska for Mother's Day a few years ago. Yes, there were some things we could not do because it was so early. But all the things we *could* do more than made up for it. We took the train in Skagway, a whale watching trip in Juneau (which ended up being a private tour), and a boat through Misty Fjords. But my best memories of this trip were just sitting on the balcony, all bundled up, watching her watching the scenery. We both knew it was our last time together and we enjoyed every bit of it. By the next Mother's Day, she was gone. I'm glad I didn't let the May date stop me.

Enjoy your time together, splurge on what you can and make sure she has time to rest. This isn't about what you can't do. It's about sharing even the smallest moments together. I wish you both the best.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just got back from a quick trip home for Easter. 2 days driving, 2 days in Wisconsin and 2 more days driving. Mom is in very good spirits, considering, and generally things seamed pretty normal except she got tired very fast.

Thank you everyone for all the support and ideas. emrmom - I cried when I read your post on my phone on the way home. It really hit close. I will need to figure something out for Mothers Day (the day we board) and somehow include the other kids and grandkids. If this is their last Mothers Day, I will have her all to myself... But they do seam to understand and are happy she is able to do this.

Thanks again to everyone!

I prefer Alaska in early fall, but last year we "had" to go mid May and, guess what? We got sunburned in Fairbanks (NORTH of the gulf of Alaska), sunburned at Denali and sunburned in Anchorage. It was amazing!

You just canNOT depend/count on a certain type of weather in Alaska.;)

I love the O...........am going on a cruise on the W this year

but

last year I was taking someone who had a bit of a mobility issue so I chose a smaller ship...............the Amsterdam, and it was perfect. Much less walking (dining in the stern and entertainment in the bow.......long walks) helped her a lot.

I hope you have a wonderful time and create longlasting memories.

As my husband's surgeon told us, NO one can predict how long a disease will last, "but I would estimate about six months if I had to make a guess."

We had six more YEARS and during one good spell, we spent from June 16 - Aug. 10th in Alaska in our motorhome. It was the BEST decision of all.

I hope your Mother isn't too exhausted from her chemo...............you will see many wheelchairs aboard so if she needs one she won't feel out of place.:)

I had not even thought about the ship having wheelchairs! THANK YOU!!!

The ship WILL NOT HAVE WHEELCHAIRS for you to use! Many people will have their own wheelchairs that they are using or chairs they have arranged to rent from an outside vendor at the embarkation port. But do NOT expect any to be available onboard to rent or just use. But yes there will be many mobility challenged people using wheel chairs, scooters and other aids.

The cruise lines do not even rent chairs or arrange rentals so you will need to do some research if you need a chair.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks. She isn't having any trouble at all now, except for getting tired sooner, but it would have been nice to know that was an option. I know I have seen lots of wheelchairs with Carnival on them, but we are not cruising Carnival this time.