Jewel sawyer glacier/WHEN DOES IT CRUISE?

luv2gamble

Hey all..going on the Jewel May 17th and it cruises Sawyer Glacier. I was just told sometime on tues 5/20 after Juneau. Does anyone know approx the time we would be passing and approx how long? Is it an hour or longer?

It's been a year, but yes, you head towards the glacier area mid afternoon after leaving Juneau. Access to Sawyer glacier is frequent blocked though by ice flows. If that is the case, you will instead continue up a very narrow fjord to the Dawes glacier. The trip up to that is magnificent. The passageway is so narrow that the ship is almost scrapping on both sides. When you arrive at the glacier, you stay for almost an hour while the ship sits and then does a slow turn around. You exit the area early evening. I haven't been to Sawyer, but it is in the same initial direction and I'm guessing the visit is similar.

It's been a year, but yes, you head towards the glacier area mid afternoon after leaving Juneau. Access to Sawyer glacier is frequent blocked though by ice flows. If that is the case, you will instead continue up a very narrow fjord to the Dawes glacier. The trip up to that is magnificent. The passageway is so narrow that the ship is almost scrapping on both sides. When you arrive at the glacier, you stay for almost an hour while the ship sits and then does a slow turn around. You exit the area early evening. I haven't been to Sawyer, but it is in the same initial direction and I'm guessing the visit is similar.

Thanks for the info. Now Im thinking about the Titanic after you said "SCRAPING" lol...Hope the captain is wide awake that day lol

The Jewel leaves Juneau around 1:30 and arrives at the entrance to Tracy Arm Fjord a couple of hours later. It takes about an hour for her to travel down Tracy Arm where she maneuvers in sight of the Sawyer glaciers for a short time. Then heads back out of Tracy Arm and on her way.

She is basically there for a quick sight-see, maybe 30-45 minutes or so, and to pick up passengers from the excursion that traveled down on a smaller boat ahead of her. I think the Jewel trip was cut short because the HAL ship had hogged the prime viewing spot, so they might actually stay longer than that.

As stated, the trip down Tracy Arm (or to Hubbard) is as beautiful as the glaciers themselves.

If you want to spend more time in front of glaciers you can either book the Pearl to Glacier Bay, or book the Tracy Arm excursion out of Juneau on the Jewel. here are a couple of pictures from our excursion showing Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier. We are on a smaller boat which gets closer than the ship does.

IMG_2151-vi.jpg

IMG_2153-vi.jpg

IMG_2158-vi.jpg

IMG_3144-vi.jpg

You can see here where the bigger ships try to get to, weather and bergs permitting. The Jewel captain was pissed that the HAL ship hogged the viewing location for too long

DSCN5226-vi.jpg

IMG_3247-vi.jpg

Hey Mike...remember my sailing last September did the Arm in the morning before Juneau. I don't remember what we decided as being the possible reason for this, except possibly there were five ships there with us if I recall correctly...

Hey Mike...remember my sailing last September did the Arm in the morning before Juneau. I don't remember what we decided as being the possible reason for this, except possibly there were five ships there with us if I recall correctly...

Yeah, I forgot about that. Was that a one time thing, or a permanent change? I don't remember hearing that it continued. Maybe they were just waiting for terminal AJ to clear so they didn't have to tender

Edited by sdmike

Thanks for the info. Now Im thinking about the Titanic after you said "SCRAPING" lol...Hope the captain is wide awake that day lol

Wow...why did you bring that up. Going to walk around with life jacket staying near life boats..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Wow...why did you bring that up. Going to walk around with life jacket staying near life boats..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

It's really not that narrow. it just seems relatively narrow due to the steep granite rock faces on the sides of the fjord. You could put several ships in there side by side (well, not safely, but you know what I mean.)

Some misinformation above, Tracy Arm is s 30 mile dead end that takes at least 2 hours each way, to get up to the Sawyer Glaciers. Only about 25% of the ships make the full transit. It is ALL about time, and the tight time schedules. You will hear, ice pack, safety etc, which is a great sounding excuse, but not the real reason. Ship can and do sail perfectly fine in the ice in Alaska, takes more TIME, and the ships have to go slower.

On the Jewel Tracy Arm is sailed after leaving Juneau. This area has a good potential for humpbacks, so if interested stay out on deck.

In May, NCL frequently cruises Endicott Arm, getting to the Dawes Glacier. This sailing is not as nice or long as Tracy Arm, and despite the above post, what I consider so so at best compared to all the other glacier areas.

The add on shore excursion is grossly superior to the cruise ship transit. This leaves a little earlier than the cruise ship, and goes faster, spending more time, wildlife and scenery viewing. Very good chances of making the full transit- BUT- if the cruise ship diverts to Endicott, this tour is kind of a waste as the cruise ships get up about as close to the Dawes.

On the Jewel Tracy Arm is sailed after leaving Juneau. This area has a good potential for humpbacks, so if interested stay out on deck.

You know, I'd hate to question a poster with over 40k posts since post count seems to matter so much here... but there's some misinformation above. For the Jewel, this is simply not always the case. The Jewel can, and sometimes does, sail the Arm prior to arrival at Juneau. As for the safety bit -- ships cannot navigate the Arm after sunset -- this is not a schedule issue, but safety one.

Mike... the Jewel tendered that day anyway -- at least for disembarkation. She was docked by late afternoon.

Edited by triptolemus

Thanks to all the posters w all that info. Guess I just have to wait and see when and where. I am going on the Jewels first cruise to alaska so it is early. When I booked it, I didnt realize ships could not pass thru at certain times. I cant do the excursion w the smaller boat because we booked the helicopter dog sledding on Mendenhall glacier. I really want to see that blue iceberg and calving but dnk what I will see. Thanks again all

but dnk what I will see.

You will see something quite beautiful and amazing. Whether from a little boat on an excursion or from the ship, whether in the morning, or afternoon, no matter the weather -- rain or shine -- Tracy Arm is an amazing place which does not disappoint.

I've already shared my Tracy Arm / Sawyer Glacier in 12 Minutes video with you, right?

Thanks to all the posters w all that info. Guess I just have to wait and see when and where. I am going on the Jewels first cruise to alaska so it is early. When I booked it, I didnt realize ships could not pass thru at certain times. I cant do the excursion w the smaller boat because we booked the helicopter dog sledding on Mendenhall glacier. I really want to see that blue iceberg and calving but dnk what I will see. Thanks again all

You can likely do both. The early excursions need to get you back on the ship by 1pm for a 1:30 sailing of the Jewel from Juneau. The Tracy Arm excursion leaves about 15 minutes before the Jewel does. Said another way...you'll have to be back anyway. They want you to assemble at the meeting location 15-20 minutes before the tour is scheduled to take roll-call, etc., but we cut it closer than that.

On our way down towards Tracy Arm, the Pearl was coming into Juneau. She and the Jewel swapped spots at the AJ dock before we got out of view. Here is the Pearl (left) coming into port as the Jewel (right) pulls out behind us.

IMG_2963-vi.jpg

You will see something quite beautiful and amazing. Whether from a little boat on an excursion or from the ship, whether in the morning, or afternoon, no matter the weather -- rain or shine -- Tracy Arm is an amazing place which does not disappoint.

I've already shared my Tracy Arm / Sawyer Glacier in 12 Minutes video with you, right?

I saw Mikes pics and I did see a video but dnk if it was yours. A cruise ship was blocking the ship and passengers were yelling from their balconies. If thats your video, yes. If not, No, I have not seen any other video. Thanks for giving me high expectations. Im getting excited. Little over a month to go:D

You can likely do both. The early excursions need to get you back on the ship by 1pm for a 1:30 sailing of the Jewel from Juneau. The Tracy Arm excursion leaves about 15 minutes before the Jewel does. Said another way...you'll have to be back anyway. They want you to assemble at the meeting location 15-20 minutes before the tour is scheduled to take roll-call, etc., but we cut it closer than that.

On our way down towards Tracy Arm, the Pearl was coming into Juneau. She and the Jewel swapped spots at the AJ dock before we got out of view. Here is the Pearl (left) coming into port as the Jewel (right) pulls out behind us.

IMG_2963-vi.jpg

Wow, maybe I can. I will ck into it, thanks.....Nice pic once again :D

I saw Mikes pics and I did see a video but dnk if it was yours. A cruise ship was blocking the ship and passengers were yelling from their balconies. If thats your video, yes. If not, No, I have not seen any other video. Thanks for giving me high expectations. Im getting excited. Little over a month to go:D

Here...this was taken from NCL Jewel 10164 - aft facing PH suite. Strapped a camera to the hull and let it roll - 6 hours of sailing in 12 minutes...

Tracy Arm / Sawyer Glacier in 12 Minutes...be sure to hit it in HD

[YOUTUBE]7OBNlm7FeoM[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by triptolemus
got the damn cabin number wrong...

Did the Jewel first Alaska May sailing last year (2013). After reading sdmike's review, we just had to book the small boat shore excursion. It was the BEST decision ever!!

The small boat got so close, we heard and saw lots of calving of the glacier, experienced the wildlife (whales, bears, goats, seals, just everything) We also had the most awesome weather. All the tour guides kept telling us, we usually point out this or that and say under that cloud is ..., well we Saw everything. We were very fortunate. Would not trade that shipboard provided excursion for any other excursion I've ever been on. Ship sponsored or self done.

At the end of our excursion, there actually had been a medical emergency on the Jewel, so our little boat became a medical transport for the ill patient and as we exited, they transferred the patient to our boat for transport back to Juneau. Afterward, we were told that the Jewel went further up Tracy Arm than normal and because of the medical situation, spent more time than usual. The ship also had to do some unusual maneuvering with backing up and turning as she moved around the ice that was building rather quickly. It was all very safe and enjoyable. The Captain was marvelous

We were on the 9-15-2013 cruise to Alaska on the Pearl. Both the Pearl and the Jewel arrived in Juneau at 2PM. The Jewel had cruised Tracy Arm Fjord from 7AM to 11AM, then proceeded to Juneau.

Apparently this is done the last few cruises of the year because it gets dark so early.

We were on the 9-15-2013 cruise to Alaska on the Pearl. Both the Pearl and the Jewel arrived in Juneau at 2PM. The Jewel had cruised Tracy Arm Fjord from 7AM to 11AM, then proceeded to Juneau.

Apparently this is done the last few cruises of the year because it gets dark so early.

that makes a lot of sense!