Why can't people get to muster on time?

sr5242

Interesting topic.

As we stood there on INDY last month...we watched as perhaps 50-60 people strolled late to the locations for the muster drill.

They were not real old...some were teenagers with their 40 something parents...and none had any sign of urgency on their faces. Great role models. :rolleyes:

Several of the people around us started making comments to those late arrivals like "glad for you to finally show up...on a real emergency you'd be going down with the ship"...and things like that.

At first we thought those things were inappropriate...but after seeing the continuous flow of non-caring late arrivers...it was obvious that some people don't take this part of their cruise seriously. Some people already in their places even barked out "here come the losers".

None were late because of anyone holding them back (at least in our area). Nobody was in front of them...they just had groups of 4-6 of them at a time show up late. Excuses for anything beyond leaving late or simply deciding to take their time getting to the locations. Plenty of staff were in all the right places and able to direct folks.

Perhaps they should make anyone not at their location on time do the muster drill a 2nd time...creating just enough inconvenience for them to have to learn it really matters.

Agree this is a problem...perhaps the "do-over" is the only realistic thing to address the problem. Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

It is about the Me First that was stated earlier in this thread. You see it more and more in today's society.

There is no excuse for for being late for anything , except for an EMERGENCY.

I like the idea of making the late comers do the muster drill twice! Everybody would rather be somewhere else than the drill , but it is necessary and Mandated.

[quote name='CRUISEFAN0001']
As we stood there on INDY last month...we watched as perhaps 50-60 people strolled late to the locations for the muster drill.[/quote]
[SIZE=4]Can anyone say "pier runners"? Or maybe "pier STROLLERS" would be a better term. It's kind of fun watching the pier runners, but not those who stroll in to the muster drill.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]Kathy[/SIZE] Edited by petesweet

[quote name='Paulxyz2004']Isn´t part of being ready for the drill the switching off the cell phone?:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

We'll, it doesn't have to be shut off, but it's certainly against the muster drill rules to use it, which was my first thought when I read the first post.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

[SIZE="2"]We have always been on time. When we did 5 b2b cruises we did each one and never complained about doing it again and again and again every 3-4 days 5 times . Some of these people need to start walking a little earlier so they could be there on time.[/SIZE]

[quote name='beachnative']The "entitled" "me" people who do not go to muster will be the very same people who will refuse to take the mandatory dramamine when/if they have to board a life boat.:eek:[/QUOTE]

I cannot believe there is such a thing as "mandatory Dramamine". Surely if one was abandoning ship that is one of the last things they would worry about. Not to say how would they know what other drugs, prescription or otherwise, one was taking. Not all people can tolerate Dramamine.

I was last to my muster drill. I couldn't find it. This was my 2nd cruise. On my first one my muster station was outside on the deck. So this time, I went outside looking for my station. Didn't see it. I went to the other side. Not there. FINALLY I asked someone who directed me to Studio B. I didn't realize some people's muster stations were inside.

Did I look panicked when I got there? No. In fact, I was laughing with my sister and son, apologizing to them for dragging them all over the ship. :p

Why do people show up late?

- Experienced latecomers know that the show won't begin until they arrive, so they won't be forced to stand uncomfortably on the deck waiting for others.
- Being late carries no punishment, so people who don't care about doing the right thing have no motive to show up on time.
- They are self- centered, egocentric, bad cruise neighbors.

Personally, I think latecomers should be fined.

I must be missing something, in over 80 cruises I have never sailed late due to someone arriving late at muster. I don't understand the problem except folks being impatient. There are all kind of folks onboard including new cruisers that have no idea on what to do and everyone cannot arrive at the same time. Also no one has defined what late is 5,10,15,18,20 or some other arbitrary time after the emergency signal. BTY HAL has removed folks from the ship that refused to go to muster.

[quote name='goose30']I cannot believe there is such a thing as "mandatory Dramamine". Surely if one was abandoning ship that is one of the last things they would worry about. Not to say how would they know what other drugs, prescription or otherwise, one was taking. Not all people can tolerate Dramamine.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have trouble believing that they'd slow down the evacuation to have every person take a pill.

However, I did read somewhere that each lifeboat is stocked with water and other minimal supplies, and I do suspect Dramamine is one of those supplies. More people become seasick on small boats than on big cruise ships, and if people were throwing up while waiting for their pick up, it would be devastating for group morale.

I'd be embarrassed to show up late. Not a good first impression on my fellow cruisers for them to remember me as "that guy" who helped hold things up. Haven't been late yet it our 6 cruises. So far so good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wonder if those people that must be chased down for muster drill are put on troublemaker list. I have heard there are two lists, a "this person is the best" and the "troublesome cruiser" lists. And it's too easy to get on the troublesome cruiser list. It seems to me, that if the crew has to chase down stragglers, it would make them memorable in a bad way.

I also think the muster drill should be held inside the ship. That's what Princess does. During bad weather, it's too easy to be swept overboard.

The longest muster drill for us didn't have to do with latecomers. An elderly gentlemen fell, and they had to wheel him off on a stretcher. We think he tripped as he crossed the threshold on the outside deck. We guess, the rollator kept moving, but he didn't. We saw the couple later, and learned he hadn't broken anything. If they'd met inside, he probably would have had a nice place to sit, and wouldn't have fallen. Edited by knittinggirl

[quote name='matj2000'][SIZE=3]I am usually one of the last people to arrive..[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I rarely agree with Matt on anything but there is no benefit to get there early. Not a fan of being squashed like a sardine. There always seems to be at least one drunk making a fool of themselves and at that time of the day, you're lucky if you're standing in the shade. If the muster is outdoors, I'll never be early but I won't be late.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't believe how many people undermine the integrity of the drill by showing up to the muster station early.

They warn you as a courtesy before the drill so that you are not otherwise occupied (e.g. bed, shower).

When the alarm sounds, you should proceed to the muster station. As part of this process, the crew can identify bottlenecks that they can improve upon in the event of a real alarm. Having half the passengers show up early kind of defeats the purpose of the drill. If they wanted you to muster at 1600 only to make sure you know where your muster station is and to pass on information, they wouldn't call it a drill.

Also, you better not complain about the person taking a smoke break in one of their few designated smoke areas because you decided to preempt the concept of the drill and hang around their smoke area before the drill.

[quote name='Big_G']I rarely agree with Matt on anything but there is no benefit to get there early. Not a fan of being squashed like a sardine. There always seems to be at least one drunk making a fool of themselves and at that time of the day, you're lucky if you're standing in the shade. If the muster is outdoors, I'll never be early but I won't be late.
[/quote]

[SIZE=3]Exactly.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We don't go running when they call the drill.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]But we do not hide in the cabin or arrive late.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We just try to be the last few in our group.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]After so many cruises, you know learn to pace things just right...[/SIZE]

[quote name='jayblue']I haven't cruised since 1997. Is this new?

I'm planning for November. [/quote]
Not exactly sure what you are asking. Muster has been around forever, and people getting to muster late has been our experience on every cruise.

I've been to muster on all 3 cruises. Sorry for the lack of clarity.

My question was about the mandatory dramamine. I recall the lifeboat and life jacket lessons, but not this.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Forums mobile app

[quote name='jayblue']Note to self: No booze until AFTER muster!!! One drink is all it takes for me!

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

Note to self drink as much as I can before and during muster drill just be there on time whatever on time means

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

[quote name='jayblue']LOL!!!

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

I wasn't mocking u by the way I actually drink as soon as I get on the ship and I have a drink during the drill. I may have 2 drinks just in case I have to wait for the late people lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

.....those on an airplane who are too busy to pay attention during the safety briefing, yet they get VERY annoyed when the flight attendant sends them back to their seat as the BIG RED "X" shows someone is already in the forward restroom.