MDR for solo cruiser

DRS/NC

First solo cruise & 1st time on HAL

I've chosen 2nd seating traditional dining. Does HAL tend to seat solos together -- or is there a pattern?

[Yes, I posted this on the Solo forum -- no responses.]

Thanks!

Welcome to the HAL board. I have cruised solo but chose to do As You Wish Dining and to eat alone. It was not because I'm anti-social but because this one was a total rest and relaxation and self-pamper kind of cruise. The dining room staff was very attentive to me.

Other times when I have cruised solo I was on a group cruise and we usually sat together at a fixed seating.

You didn't say which sailing you have chosen. I would suggest going to the roll call for your sailing on the CC Roll Call board. That way you will meet some folks before boarding and might make some plans for dining together or doing private excursions, etc. The Roll Call doesn't mean you have to always be with those same folks, it is just a nice opportunity if you choose.

I've chosen 2nd seating traditional dining. Does HAL tend to seat solos together -- or is there a pattern?

Thanks!

In all my cruises with HAL, most as a solo traveller:) I've never been seated at a table full of solos. They do have a solo lunch (or two) which can be a hit or miss affair.

Yes, it's hit or miss and if it's miss I change right away to ATD. The best is a mix of singles and couples. It it's all couples, let's face it. Couples prefer to be with other couples. The singles luncheons are hit or miss for me, mostly miss and I seldom attend.

Yes, it's hit or miss and if it's miss I change right away to ATD. The best is a mix of singles and couples. It it's all couples, let's face it. Couples prefer to be with other couples. The singles luncheons are hit or miss for me, mostly miss and I seldom attend.

I've always traveled solo. Not all couples prefer to be with other couples. I've made such wonderful friends with couples I've met, and on three occasions (and one upcoming cruise), we've decided to repeat the experience and rebooked together. But I agree, if my assigned (for me fixed/early seating) table is not to my liking, I'd switch to anytime dining. The key to this is how long a cruise are you booking? I do long voyages, so if I found myself with tablemates who didn't "click," I'd make a change after the first evening. The singles luncheons are not my thing. I've met delightful people by taking my chances and being seated with couples, family groups, other singles avoiding the singles luncheons.

I should have said -- I'm booked on the Prisendam for 14 days in July, Celtic Explorer.

I've selected 2nd seating so that I can enjoy "sail away" at 5:00-6:00 in all the ports. -- no rush to dinner. Also, the 1st seating is just too early for me.

I'm hoping my table will be a varied group of 6-8.

Any more info about the solo luncheon -- this is the first I've heard of it.

Thanks

This has been my experience too. It is easy enough to change.

I have found that the Maitre d' mixes up the table assignments with one or two solos and couples. Generally, that is a quite acceptable pattern.

On one Princess cruise, as a solo, I was seated with a family of 5 and was immediately concerned that I would be the odd man out. Not so; it turned out wonderfully and we all at the table enjoyed ourselves.

On one cruise, I sensed the very first night that it would take a long time (it was a long cruise) for the table to jell. I was right. There were "issues" throughout the cruise. I will never, ever go through that again. This was one time when my "glass is half-full" view of the situation turned out to be the "glass really is empty"!

Like some of the other posters, the singles luncheon is hit or miss; mostly miss. On a normal length cruise, I don't attend. On a longer cruise, I will try it once or twice.

Thanks!

I took HAL inb October of 2012 as a single, I initially chose second seating, large table. When I arrived there was no one there and there was no one there the whole meal. I felt really alone eating at a table for 8 by my self. I switched to "as you wished" and loved it, met lots of nice people and had a great time

I travel solo and I prefer the Anytime dining but sometimes that is not an option (particularly on longer cruises). The your assignments may be mixture of couples and singles or, as happened to me not too long ago, all singles. If you are not happy you can switch. Anytime allows me to meet a wide range of people.

Susan

When I originally booked an upcoming Veendam NE/Canada 14 day, I asked my t/a to try to book early seating. I initially was waitlisted, then all of a sudden my booking showed "Anytime".

I actually think, as a solo, I will enjoy that more. It gives me the opportunity to dine when I want or not show up if that is what I desire. I do enjoy the assigned dining concept, but will have to see how this works out for me.

Thanks!

I've 2 solos but one was back to back so let's say 3. Two of them I was the only solo at the table. The 3rd (which was the second half of the back to back) was a 50-50 mix of solos and pairs traveling together. Everyone was single. Had a great time at dinner at all three. I like the getting to know a few others and not having to go thru the "ritual" at every meal. And don't forget if you're not happy, you can ask to have your table changed.

I've 2 solos but one was back to back so let's say 3. Two of them I was the only solo at the table. The 3rd (which was the second half of the back to back) was a 50-50 mix of solos and pairs traveling together. Everyone was single. Had a great time at dinner at all three. I like the getting to know a few others and not having to go thru the "ritual" at every meal. And don't forget if you're not happy, you can ask to have your table changed.

I agree. "As You Wish" dining means having to make the same introductions at dinner again and again. I prefer fixed seating, either early or late. I enjoyed the Prinsendam for the first time over the holidays. It is a very friendly ship. It is so small that if you "connect" with someone or people you enjoy, the chances are you'll bump into them again. I'm a 4-star Mariner, and after sampling the "elegant explorer", I wondered what took me so long. I'm sailing her again, up the Amazon in November...yes, with a couple who were among my tablemates on the Maasdam in 2011. And, again, if you really don't like your tablemates at your assigned table, speak to the Dining Room Manager and make a switch. Why punish yourself.