Visiting Russian Port

oaktownboy

Petropavlosk is 8 time zones and east of Moscow and probably has no influence of any kind regarding the Crimea and Ukraine policies of Putin. The economic benefit of a port stop in Kamchatka to the Putin regime is miniscule in comparison to the large number of ships and river boats that visit St. Petersburg and the rivers in western Russia.

Having traveled on a land tour to the Soviet Union (Leningrad) in 1984 when the USSR announced their boycott of the LA Olympics in retaliation for Jimmy Carter's decision to boycott the Moscow Olympics of 1980, the group I was with discussed this topic at some length on the trip and concluded that our trip was more likely to help the uS influence if we demonstrated congeniality and genuine interest in the lives of the Soviet people rather than any contempt for the USSR in general and Khrushchev in particular.

Once there and seeing, first hand, the criminal treatment of Leningrad by the ****s in WW II (still vividly apparent, for example, in St Catherine palace and St. Isaac's cathedral), we were genuinely moved and expressed our emotions to the few Soviet people with whom we came in contact.

On a side note...Don't buy the front desk info that one needs a visa for this one day stop and need to take a ships tour that includes the visa. Just tell the desk to have your passport stamps once the officials come on board and then leave the ship(tender port). Not a lot to see, but you can say you walk in Russia that day.

My wife and I were in Petropavlosk late last year on a Princess reposition cruise. Passports were stamped but no visa required. And it wasn't a tender port for Diamond Princess: we tied-up at the quayside which is only a short walk into town. There is an interesting war memorial complete with tank, eternal flame and a submarine (well beached) that you can tour inside. Not a lot else except numerous Russian warships and submarines in the harbour.

We are due to go to Saint Petersburg next year and have been told no visa with ship's tour or other official local tour, but needed for private wandering.

I've been to Saint Petersburg on business a number of times, starting when it was Leningrad, and did need a visa. Much has changed. Wonderful restoration work on the palaces. Fabulous place to visit. But I'm also wondering whether cruise ships will be calling there when 2015 comes around.

Edited by Balloon Man

My wife and I were in Petropavlosk late last year on a Princess reposition cruise. Passports were stamped but no visa required. And it wasn't a tender port for Diamond Princess: we tied-up at the quayside which is only a short walk into town. There is an interesting war memorial complete with tank, eternal flame and a submarine (well beached) that you can tour inside. Not a lot else except numerous Russian warships and submarines in the harbour.

We are due to go to Saint Petersburg next year and have been told no visa with ship's tour or other official local tour, but needed for private wandering.

I've been to Saint Petersburg on business a number of times, starting when it was Leningrad, and did need a visa. Much has changed. Wonderful restoration work on the palaces. Fabulous place to visit. But I'm also wondering whether cruise ships will be calling there when 2015 comes around.

Balloon man, You have your ports mixed up......your thinking of Vladivostok, and not Petropavlosk

In the present situation, I would not go on any cruise that visited any Russian port. I would also avoid the Black Sea area. The political situation is too unsettled to be comfortable.

We do not get much of an opportunity to discuss this on CC because most discussion turn into a political discussion and they are closed. Hopefully this one can stay on point.

Wouldn't you think that Celebrity would cancel the port of call if there was even a remote change that it would not be safe? I have a cruised scheduled for August and I am a little concerned. Once this year's cruises start in the Baltic area we will start getting feedback from those that are visiting.

Thanks