Transfers & Airports

IMKTDQT810

I just recently found out that Spirit airlines has really great rates to ft. Lauderdale in the summer which does not begin until May for a seasonal run. I know airfare can only be booked so far in advance, but I was thinking of a 2015 July cruise which I know I can book now. Not sure of which ship leaving from where but knowing that Miami is only a 30 min drive south does anyone know if Carnival does airport transfers from Ft. Lauderdale or just Miami airport?

Keep in mind that Spirit has a LOT of other charges....for instance, to pick a seat, for a bigger seat, to check a bag, to put a carry on bag in the overhead bins...SOOO their great rates may NOT be great...and they are VERY restrictive on the size of bags UNDER the seat...

I sell luggage...a customer spent 2 hours in my store with their EXACT measurements...YET when they got to the airport, the bag was a hair too big to fit in the under-seat bag sizer....the SIZER was actually a smidge SMALLER than the published size that you're permitted to have for an under seat bag.

So they had to pay a total of $100 to put their bags in the overheads...

They came back to the store after the trip and told me all this...and that they will never fly them again. After all the extra charges, their not-so-on-time record, and their limited flight schedule, they will not fly them again.

Just something to keep in mind......and usually you can only book airfare on the discounted carriers around 6 months or so ahead, which is well past when the legacy carriers open their bookings. Keep that all in mind...cheap airfare may wind up being not cheap at all....

Keep in mind that Spirit has a LOT of other charges....for instance, to pick a seat, for a bigger seat, to check a bag, to put a carry on bag in the overhead bins...SOOO their great rates may NOT be great...and they are VERY restrictive on the size of bags UNDER the seat...

I sell luggage...a customer spent 2 hours in my store with their EXACT measurements...YET when they got to the airport, the bag was a hair too big to fit in the under-seat bag sizer....the SIZER was actually a smidge SMALLER than the published size that you're permitted to have for an under seat bag.

So they had to pay a total of $100 to put their bags in the overheads...

They came back to the store after the trip and told me all this...and that they will never fly them again. After all the extra charges, their not-so-on-time record, and their limited flight schedule, they will not fly them again.

Just something to keep in mind......and usually you can only book airfare on the discounted carriers around 6 months or so ahead, which is well past when the legacy carriers open their bookings. Keep that all in mind...cheap airfare may wind up being not cheap at all....

And I am sure that Spirit's SIZER is a smidge smaller on purpose! :eek:

Spirit: "Oh I'm sorry sir/ma'ma. Your bag is too big to fit under the seat so you now have to pay $50 per bag to put it in the overhead."

Passenger: "But I measured this bag at the store so that it met your published size and would fit under the seat."

Spirit: "That does not matter. It does not fit our SIZER which means your bag does not comply. You have to pay."

Passenger: "*&$*@&@^&$@&*^&!@$^(*&^#@*Y%$#@^%4 You guys suck!!!"

:D:D:D

Edited by Eng23

LOL....you guys made me laugh..thanks for that.

Yes, I do know that they have their little charges up the wa-zoo, but since I am stick flying outta a rinky-dink airport, we would need to do a layover and all flights with two legs around here are very expensive. Grant you, if I have the cruise booked I would prolly be looking to book the airfare far in advance also...so maybe I would get lucky with a normal commercial airlines!!

I would also fly in the day prior...no sense in starting out the day on a long, bad note. I guess there are also shuttle services that might take us to an airport that has a shuttle to the port the next day. Never thought of that until I started typing this...and then just do the carnival shuttle for the trip home =-)

I just recently found out that Spirit airlines has really great rates to ft. Lauderdale in the summer which does not begin until May for a seasonal run. I know airfare can only be booked so far in advance, but I was thinking of a 2015 July cruise which I know I can book now. Not sure of which ship leaving from where but knowing that Miami is only a 30 min drive south does anyone know if Carnival does airport transfers from Ft. Lauderdale or just Miami airport?

Spirit may have cheap fares, but they nickle and dime you until you are paying $450 for your flights.

LOL....you guys made me laugh..thanks for that.

Yes, I do know that they have their little charges up the wa-zoo, but since I am stick flying outta a rinky-dink airport, we would need to do a layover and all flights with two legs around here are very expensive. Grant you, if I have the cruise booked I would prolly be looking to book the airfare far in advance also...so maybe I would get lucky with a normal commercial airlines!!

I would also fly in the day prior...no sense in starting out the day on a long, bad note. I guess there are also shuttle services that might take us to an airport that has a shuttle to the port the next day. Never thought of that until I started typing this...and then just do the carnival shuttle for the trip home =-)

As you indicate you would come in the day before the cruise (which is very smart thinking by the way) there are other shuttle services available to take you to either the Port of Miami or Port Everglades. Miami is about a 45 minute ride from Ft. Lauderdale. SAS Transportation is used by many here on CruiseCritic to get to Miami, there are others though. If you cruise out of Port Everglades just stay in a Ft. Lauderdale area hotel and take a taxi to the port.

As others have mentioned, Spirit does fee you to death. Their seats are very small and there is no leg room. I'm 5'8 and 150lb (size 8) and I felt OBESE in their seats. My knees were touching the seat in front of me and there wasn't a ton of room.

Also, please only fly spirit if you are going in the day before. They DO NOT GIVE A CRAP about being on time. (7 hr delays are the norm not the exception.)

We flew Spirit out of Detroit to FLL a couple of years ago. We did fly in on the day of the cruise. We had a flight VERY early in the morning, but it was delayed for an hour or 2. We had arranged transportation with SAS. I called them and told them of the delay. They were there waiting for us when we arrived. They had a nice big van with lots of room and got us to the port straight-away!

There were 4 of us and we each checked one bag. We pre-paid this when I booked so considered it part of the flight cost. We kept the weight of each bag under the limit. We each had a carry-on, but all were free. We weren't pushing any limits with the carry-ons (ie. didn't try to max out the size)...mostly backpacks which squished under the seats.

I also joined the spirt 'club' or whatever it is for the year. We flew with them twice that year. This allowed me to get the cheapest flights for the 4 of us. I can't remember whether or not it helped with the luggage costs as well.

I also remember not a lot of seat room!

Edited by cath32
more details

Most shuttles will charge you $15 per person each way. For our family of four it would be a little pricey. It would $60 before the cruise and another $60 after the cruise for transportation. So we usually book a car. Several rental car companies have locations just a mile or two from the port at both Ft Lauderdale and Miami with free shuttles to the port. We booked a full sized car through Budget this summer for just $47 (total). We pick it up at the airport and do a one way rental to the location nearest the port. Then we take the free rental car shuttle to the port. And it's nice having a car to stop by and get wine and other essentials or eat out or sight see. I hope this helps. :)

Nickel and diming in right!!! I was looking at Spirit twice out of AC going to FLL and to MCO, and when I got done with choosing my seat, paying for my carry-on and checked bags (2), they were the same price or slightly more than AA, USAirways and Delta.

For ground transportation between FLL and Miami, we have used SAS (http://www.ridesas.com). They are $15.00pp each way, and have always been courteous, prompt and reliable. When your plane lands, they are usually calling you or sending a text message to let you know that they are closed by, or that the driver is on his way, even before I get a chance to call them and tell them we are headed to baggage claim. Same goes for when we schedule a particular time to be picked up at debarkation.