Carnival Victory - Awoken by water out of ceiling

SconnieMom

Just off the Carnival Victory. I'm awoken by my teenage daughter in a panic at my door. SHE in turn had been awoken by water raining down on her out of the ceiling speaker in her cabin next door.

In the end a steady stream of water was coming out of the speaker as well as both corners of the rooms ceiling. We had to move the two of our family staying in that room into our other interior cabin while I dealt with the crew sent to handle the situation.

I have video on my smartphone of everything, up to the point where a senior member of the 5 people dealing with the situation said over a phone "Yes, he is here recording the room on his phone. I will call you back." He walked away down the hall to continue his call. From then on they would try to keep the door closed to the room when I was around. No matter as I had already gotten full video of the situation, including them having to clear all furniture out and rip open the ceiling, and the colored water in the trash bin my daughter had placed to catch the water coming into the room (she likely saved them carpet replacement costs, as they were plastic wrapping the floor a couple hours later to protect it).

I spoke to guest services and they were originally going to try to fix the room. Then they eventually told us they could only relocate 2 of us to a room at the far end of the deck, so our family of 4 no longer had neighboring rooms and we spent the greater part of our at sea day home to MIA dealing with the situation. All guest services was willing to offer was a half day's cabin cost for 2 guests as a credit. This was/is not to my satisfaction and if not resolved better in the near future you'll be able to find the above mentioned video anywhere that can alert others to how poorly they handled the situation.

I spoke to guest services and they were originally going to try to fix the room. Then they eventually told us they could only relocate 2 of us to a room at the far end of the deck, so our family of 4 no longer had neighboring rooms and we spent the greater part of our at sea day home to MIA dealing with the situation. All guest services was willing to offer was a half day's cabin cost for 2 guests as a credit. This was/is not to my satisfaction and if not resolved better in the near future you'll be able to find the above mentioned video anywhere that can alert others to how poorly they handled the situation.

Why isn't this satisfactory? Two in your party were inconvenienced and moved to a different cabin. They're crediting you half of that day. What more do you want them to do?

More than the minimum. That is offering me nothing as a makeup for falling short of what was promised, a bad experience, etc. To make right they should over compensate for it. But you must realize that and are trolling.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

More than the minimum. That is offering me nothing as a makeup for falling short of what was promised, a bad experience, etc. To make right they should over compensate for it. But you must realize that and are trolling.

A differing opinion is not trolling.

I tend to agree that the compensation seems fair since they accommodated you with another cabin. Technical failures happen. There would have been a big problem had they not offered to move your family members to a new cabin.

This wasn't a technical problem. That's "the light on bathroom mirror or hairdryer wasn't working" Dirty water was coming out of the ceiling onto my daughter. I promise you they will have to credit me more before this is over. There is a reason they started closing the door and walking away when they talked to me. They know the video I took will end up I the net and look horrible for them. If this happened in the Vegas hotels I stay in they would move you to a suite and comp your stay.

Edited by SconnieMom

Sorry for your bad experience, but accidents do happen. Don't be so hard on them. They were most likely doing the best they could. It's not like the workers that took (or tried to take) care of the problem have the authority to give you any more than what you were offered.

If I were you, I would write a letter to corporate headquarters about your situation and request some credit back or a reduced fare for your next cruise. Be reasonable in your request and don't be threatening.

Remember, you get more bees with honey than vinegar.

And as for the video, why do that. Were you planning on using in the lawsuit? Come on, it's not like you or your family was injured or maimed. just inconvenienced.

I agree.

This is a situation that should not happen but occasionally will.

So, they moved the 2 people affected to another cabin and offered half days cabin costs as compensation. That's their opeing bid on these negotiations.

What's your opening bid?

I would be pretty upset by this as well - particularly since this would mean my kids are a long ways away from me! Think about it - you save your money and plan for months for the vacation, and then you have to take the time when you should be relaxing dealing with water leakage issues? I can do that at home!

As an example, I am spending $100 per person per day (6 of us) for my upcoming cruise. By their logic, if this happened to me I could expect a refund of about $100? Sorry, that would not cut it. $500 maybe. I get that things can happen, but their offer is not sufficient.

Edited by Ontario_Cruiser
Not paying attention to who the OP was! ;)

No, he's not trolling. Many people on message boards, such as Cruise Critic, Flyertalk and DISboards don't believe in guest recovery and goodwill compensation. You should send an email to the CEO, Gerry Cahill, and let him know of the situation and share the video in as many places as you can. CNN loves anything negative involving Carnival Cruise Lines, so they'll enjoy it.

They should have given, at the minimum, a percentage off (25%) of your next cruise for your four family members.

His email is: gcahill@carnival.com

You can also email Vicky Rey, VP of Guest Relations at vrey@carnival.com

Edited by Disconnections

Brings back memories of our cruise on the Victory 4/15/13. Wife and I taking a nap in the afternoon. Half asleep but heard water dripping. Thought probably sink or shower. Minutes later felt wet. Jumped up and saw a large puddle of grey water in the middle of bed. Water was running in from the ceiling around one of the vents. Called guest services and said they would send head of house keeping. She walked in, took alook and said "don't like this". Told us to get ready for dinner and would have it fixed then. Hear about peeps getting bottle of wine or chocolate covered strawberries for alot less. But nothing for us. Guess we didn't complain. But hell I'm on vacation and not even thinking about bitchin about anything. Still had a great cruise.

Not true. When I stayed at the Paris {Las Vegas} we had a similar problem. We didn't get upgraded to a suite. We were moved to another room that was the same. It was no big deal. I was fine with it.

Edited by Procruizer

AWWW don't be so angry

just email them. I'm sure they will compensate you with a credit on a future cruise. Take it.

I had a horrid flight a few years ago. well I shouldn't say I my son did, he flew unaccompanied and it was a huge disaster. They started with sorry nothing we can do, ended up getting 4 free round trip tickets to be used in a years time for our troubles. but I wasn't rude, I didn't threaten lawsuit or anything like that I stated my case, complimented those who previously tried to help me, and it was done. I stated what I wanted, which was a refund (cash) and credit for some very expensive items that "went missing"

they ended up crediting me the value in a flight for my family. win/win.

There shouldn't BE an opening bid. I shouldn't have to negotiate to get fair compensation.

How are they supposed to please you if they don't know what you want?

Some people would be fine with what they offered,,, some people would expect a free family reunion cruise in the Owners Suite.

Wife to husband: I'm mad at you.

Husband to wife: What did I do?

Wife to husband: If you don't know, then you don't love me!

Husband: :confused:

Edited by klfrodo

Ontario Cruiser it was the OP accusing a person with a differing opinion a troll. No one called OP a troll.

OP-- using your analogy of Vegas. Maybe all the suites were occupied?

Ships sail at full capacity this time of year.

What did you want? For Carnival to find two cabins next to each other? Have the occupants of the neighboring cabin move? Move to where?

Lucky there was an empty cabin.

We've had to move rooms in hotels before, at midnight because of sewage problems. Packed, moved and back in bed within 30 minutes. No thought of monetary compensation.

Can't believe this took ALL day. Several hours but not all day.

I expect at minimum they offer full day for our entire group, I would be satisfied with more. I work in customer experience and brand market research. I know the power/worth of negative buzz on the internet. They do too. The inverse it's also true. "Wow" me and gain benefits of me telling everyone how satisfied I was with the above and beyond resolution.

This wasn't a technical problem. That's "the light on bathroom mirror or hairdryer wasn't working" Dirty water was coming out of the ceiling onto my daughter. I promise you they will have to credit me more before this is over. There is a reason they started closing the door and walking away when they talked to me. They know the video I took will end up I the net and look horrible for them. If this happened in the Vegas hotels I stay in they would move you to a suite and comp your stay.

First of all, sorry you had a bad experience, it is not what anyone wants to have happen on their cruise. I do have a question. What do you think would be the "fair" compensation you think Carnival should have or will give to you for this?

I expect at minimum they offer full day for our entire group, I would be satisfied with more. I work in customer experience and brand market research. I know the power/worth of negative buzz on the internet. They do too. The inverse it's also true. "Wow" me and gain benefits of me telling everyone how satisfied I was with the above and beyond resolution.

I don't doubt that you'll be able to extort more from them. That doesn't change the fact that the initial offer was fair.

Blackmail? Really? To me, you are sounding worse by the moment

Edited by champagne123
cccccxxxxxxccccccxxxxccc