Pantyhose again

MIJOY

I'm 60 and my legs still look fine without panty hose. The problem is that I live in Massachusetts and going out in a skirt with bare legs would just not work from November to April. Simply put I would freeze.

I'm 61 and my legs look great pantyhose-free.

You are lucky.

Most of us age 60 and over can't say the same. :eek: :o

I have sun spots on my legs from too many sunburns in the Caribbean when I was younger and wasn't careful enough about sunscreen.

Let me clarify a previous statement I made: I'm 60 and my legs are good, thank-you. I can wear shorts, capris, casual dresses just fine without hosiery. Yes, my legs are white and I make no attempt to tan them. BUT, if I'm in a cocktail dress, I will be wearing pantyhose: sheer, control-top, sandal-foot pantyhose. Even with my rhinestone high-heel sandals. Because that's the way I roll. If someone doesn't like that, they don't have to look, just as they are free to look away from my pasty legs without them.

:rolleyes:

Edited by srlafleur

If I am wearing a cocktail dress with a strappy sandal, I will wear the Donna Karan nudes control top tieless pantyhose. If I am wearing a pump I will wear a nude sandal foot pantyhose. My legs are fine but I prefer wearing hose.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just spent a few days in NYC so made a point of looking at legs.:D Even the young girls (IMO, of course;)) just did not look finished with the bare legs. To me, it's like foundation on one's face, it just evens everything out. How many would go without some type of foundation? They are so light and airy these days, you hardly know thery're wearing any, same with pantyhose.:)

I saw one young lady who I had to look REALLY hard to see she actually had on hose. They were so sheer and did not change the color of her legs but just made her look nicely finished.

I'm trying to get used to the bare leg look but just can't.:o However, bottom line.......ladies are either going to wear them or not and either camp should not be criticized for whichever way they go.

This is coming from someone who wears skirt suits or dresses to work every day: Rule of thumb #1 when it comes to pantyhose: if it's cold enough to wear a jacket outside, even a light spring or fall jacket, then I wear pantyhose. I would never dream of leaving my arms bare outdoors in cool or cold weather, so why would I have bare legs? On the other hand, rule of thumb #2: I never wear peeptoes or sandals with pantyhose. Bare legs/feet and a good pedicure look much better.

Edited by We're The Groupnors

I hear ya! I'm 55 - I have to wear tights in the winter, but as soon as it's warm enough I 'wear' bare legs. Today was the first day I've worn a skirt and no tights to work. It was a LONG winter :)

I hate pantyhose and don't own a pair. I think my bare legs look fine too ;)

I'm 60 and my legs still look fine without panty hose. The problem is that I live in Massachusetts and going out in a skirt with bare legs would just not work from November to April. Simply put I would freeze.
Edited by SeaCBear

Thanks! I don't care for the look of pasty bare legs of anyone over 25 no matter what the style gurus say. Hosiery just gives a more finished look when dressed nicely.

Agreed! Those pasty legs don't give a dressy outfit a finished or classy look.

I'm 67 and haven't worn regular hose in years. However, I mostly wear jeans (we Californians live in them), capri pants, and maxi skirts. I only wear short skirts when it's cool enough to wear tights...mostly black.

I give thanks to my Cuban ancestors for my tan complexion so I feel fine never wearing hose!:D

I am approaching double nickels and my husband said to me years back,

as he works in NYC...he told me to lose the pantyhose...

<WHEW>

I had to go to a spring wedding reception, felt white than white, bought self-tanner, worked GREAT....

Just last week, my pasty white legs went to a black tie affair and I felt fine...

So- I am fine without and am glad to be...

Bernadette

I will be double nickels this summer, also. My son is getting married in August, so it will likely be hot. My dress will be tea length. I am planning to do the sunless tanner, and that, along with a nice pedicure, will hopefully be formal enough. I am hoping to find a nice pair of silver dressy sandals with a low heel to go along with the dress.

• 3 weeks later...
Just kidding, the first thing I thought of with that photo of Duchess Kate of how many posters point to her as setting a good example by wearing pantyhose.

I thought (as opposed to the Queen) she was an example of a well dressed young woman. People recently did a spread on the clothing she wore during the past year. As far as I know, she's been compared favorably to Diana! Am I misreading your post...you don't agree?

Being a man I have never had to wear panty hose, nor any nylon hose for that matter, so maybe my opinions lack the validity of the opinions from the fairer sex. However, I would just like to say, "Thank you ladies who put up with wearing hose, do your hair so nicely, wear elegant dresses and do such beautiful work with makeup. You are greatly appreciated by at least one of your fellow passengers."

Jerry of Jerry and Lady Kathryn

I have two shorter cocktail dresses and I wear hose with them. They just don't look right without them. I am very, very fair. Even living in Arizona I can't get those legs tan.

With a long formal or slacks I wear knee highs. I just think the look, for me, is more polished.

I was referring to the recent photo published where the wind blew her dress up and she apparently wasn't wearing underwear.

That's funny. I didn't know about that one...passed me by!