Carnival Elation or Triumph?

We're deciding which ship to take next year in order to take an inexpensive short cruise and to see Progreso Mexico. They're both 5 days, the Triumph leaving out of Galveston, Elation leaves out of New Orleans.

Price: Almost a wash with airfare and shuttles, Elation maybe $40 cheaper.

Ship: Triumph is bigger and looks similar to the Victory, Elation has portholes which we want to try.

Itinerary: Same

Port: We enjoyed our hotel in Galveston right on the beach, but have never seen New Orleans.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

Triumph has so many upgrades since its dry dock... Guy's Burgers and the Blue Iguana Cantina would make it my choice. Check out all the details of the 2.0 Fun Ship upgrades!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I've never been on a cruise, but I will be going on the Elation in August. And although I have no way to compare it to anything, I would definitely choose the Elation if you never been to New Orleans just for the chance to see that city. There is no place like it, and while the 2.0 upgrades I'm sure would be nice, I doubt even Guys Burgers compares to anything you could eat in New Orleans. ;)

I've never been on a cruise, but I will be going on the Elation in August. And although I have no way to compare it to anything, I would definitely choose the Elation if you never been to New Orleans just for the chance to see that city. There is no place like it, and while the 2.0 upgrades I'm sure would be nice, I doubt even Guys Burgers compares to anything you could eat in New Orleans. ;)

See this is why I'm glad I asked, hadn't even thought of 2.0 or the Cajun food! Can I move the Triumph to New Orleans and have the best of both worlds?

For the ship, I would definitely take the Triumph. I've sailed both, but it's been awhile since I've been on Elation. I like the Triumph's style & setup better. Triumph has a much larger waterslide, more pools, a nice lido deck setup, the extra food options, and 2 of the best stage shows on all Carnival ships.

Triumph has porthole rooms also. However, they are in much shorter supply, so they tend to get booked up quick. Just be sure to pick "Porthole" (category PT) if you want the 2 beds that can be pushed together. With the "Upper/Lower (with portholes)" rooms, the 2 beds cannot be pushed together. On Elation, all porthole rooms can have the beds pushed together.

Many people do love New Orleans, but many people hate it also. It may be a nice fit for you, or it may not. I've talked to plenty of people personally who didn't like the city at all, while all of cruisecritic seems to think it is pure heaven. I've got mixed feelings on it. I thought a lot of it looked really nice (aside from all the piles of garbage in the streets), but it just didn't feel like my kind of city. I'm glad I've seen it, but won't miss it if I never go back. Having been to both cities, I would prefer to spend a few extra days in Galveston, based on the so-so beach, Moody Gardens, Schlitterbahn, & NASA (nearby).

Triumph hands down. Much nicer ship after recent refurb. Lots to do on Galveston Island if you go early. We have done your cruise and loved the triumph, like Galveston. a very nice cruise for the money. Hotels are cheaper in Galveston if you go early [recommended] That should more than make up the price difference.

I like Triumph much better than Elation.

But I like New Orleans a lot better than Galveston.

Which is why I am booked for Elation cruise number six...

I think that's which way we're leaning. Love it or hate it, New Orleans is culturally rich which is part of what we love about cruising. So far my favorite island is Grand Cayman, least favorite is Jamaica, but I'm glad I saw it.

Hotel wise (from the previous comment), we stay primarily at La Quinta's and it's the same amount of points for a free night at either location. Though A window facing the ocean you can't beat...

For 2.0, I'm really hoping the Miracle gets upgraded by the time we plan for Hawaii. On a 15 day cruise, that would be a nice addition ;)

We liked the Triumph over the Elation. We cruised Triumph pre-upgrades. The Triumph seemed to have more outside accesses than the Elation. We also prefer balconies (actually I prefer balconies) and the Elation has none.

Flying in is a pain to Galveston. The airport is about an hour away, so added time and expense to get to the port.

Time in Galveston would probably mean a rental car. Last I heard, the rental car companies are not open in Galveston on Sundays. That should not be an issue on Triumph, since it sails Mondays and Thursdays.

Edited by Bevv

I vote for the Elation. I did not care all that much for the Triumph. I felt it was crowded and just not laid out as well as the Fantasy class ships. I will be on cruise #8 in June and 5th time on the Elation.

I completely agree. I hated the Triumph layout. It always felt crowded because the ship's layout is poorly designed. Why put the drink stations and specialty food at the doorway to the buffet? There was constantly a traffic jam.

I sailed the Triumph in 2012, before the disaster-cruise. I liked it then. I just cruised on it in February, after all the updates. I loved it. There's just something about the feel of the ship, I can't specify what it is. And I've been to NOLA several times. I guess you should go once to see how you feel about it. Great food, some neat places to see. Haven't been there since Katrina. And Galveston will be hot in August, but NOLA will be HOT and humid. Very humid. Jungle humid. Expensive. Crowded. And there's always the possibility of something happening in the river to prevent ships getting out of port or back into it.

Edited by nlktx49

You take that chance in Galveston too, so that's no reason to rule out a port.

NOLA has bounced back since Katrina. There are still places that were damaged during the storm that have not completely recovered, but you will not see those unless you go looking for them. The food and arts have recovered plus some, and no matter the age you will find something to do.

You take that chance in Galveston too, so that's no reason to rule out a port.

NOLA has bounced back since Katrina. There are still places that were damaged during the storm that have not completely recovered, but you will not see those unless you go looking for them. The food and arts have recovered plus some, and no matter the age you will find something to do.

Yes and Galveston was recently shut down over the oil spill!

We're looking at early December for price and lack of parties, so heat and humidity won't be an issue. We're going to try and do these 4-5 day Carnival cruise any year that we're not sailing a 7+ day cruise already. It's likely we'll end up doing both eventually. Catalina and Bahamas will be next on the list ;)

As far as New Orleans, our hotel will be in a suburb. We would just have to figure out how long to stay and where to go. I like spicy food, so time to get some Cajan cookin'!

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

We liked the Triumph over the Elation. We cruised Triumph pre-upgrades. The Triumph seemed to have more outside accesses than the Elation. We also prefer balconies (actually I prefer balconies) and the Elation has none.

Flying in is a pain to Galveston. The airport is about an hour away, so added time and expense to get to the port.

Time in Galveston would probably mean a rental car. Last I heard, the rental car companies are not open in Galveston on Sundays. That should not be an issue on Triumph, since it sails Mondays and Thursdays.

The Elation has balconies. They are just called Jr. Suites. We booked one last year.

The Elation is beautiful without upgrades. The crew was fantastic. The layout is great, and we were never lost.

For me, nothing I've ever done beats New Orleans. I would choose New Orleans over Galveston ANY DAY.

Well, I guess I am prejudiced against Galveston due to the rough debark we had there.

I loved riding the ferry and seeing all the dolphins.

But when we got back, somehow we got shuffled about in the terminal lines and ended up stuck behind some folks who were having some complication with customs.

Even though we debarked when called and were in the middle of the lines, we ended up being the very last people out of the terminal.

Last car in the parking lot.

It was way not good and pretty frustrating.

Took us an additional day to get home and there was a hurricane coming in the gulf and it was difficult to get a hotel room.

On the bright side, we made the most of it and had an adventure.

I am sure that our experience with Galveston was far from average, but truly, I never want to do that again.

Since then we have been spooked by the whole debark thing and now we self debark and get out before the problems can really get started.