Tipping the porter

toothfairy

We're leaving out of Boston on the Majesty in late August. I'm a 1st timer. Can anyone advise me on whether it's appropriate to tip the porter that takes our luggage at the pier? If so, how much? I'd really appreciate some advice.

:confused:

Thanks.

Sorry it came out sounding negative. I didn't mean it to be negative. I don't mind tipping. I just hate the hand being out before the service has even been rendered. In Houston it was almost humorous watching the porters try and see who could get to the bags first, thereby generating the most tips.

Sorry it came out sounding negative. I didn't mean it to be negative. I don't mind tipping. I just hate the hand being out before the service has even been rendered. In Houston it was almost humorous watching the porters try and see who could get to the bags first, thereby generating the most tips.

Did not sound negative - just the truth :)

We've sailed out of Boston 6 times, and always tipped $1-$2 per bag. One time when we were leaving on the Majesty, we tried to tip the porter and he said to us, no kidding: "Do you know how much they're paying me to work today? Put your money away!!"

I would STILL offer the tip!

It does depend on where you are embarking I am sure: In Houston we gave him about $1 per bag, maybe $5 for 3 bags I don't remember. In San Juan a couple of years ago, we gave him $10 I think, maybe a little less and handed it to him as soon as we got out of our taxi, not only did he take our bags he told us to follow him,next thing we knew we had even past the latitude table and were checking in and on our way. We just watched all the others in line as we past them: why, I bet the tip up front helped. It was worth every penny what ever it was. NMnita

Archived