Manhattan Hotel

mnjcruiser

I am trying to book my pre-cruise hotel in Manhattan. I'll be sailing on the Breakaway in May out of Pier 88. I believe the cruise terminal is in the Upper West Side. I've never been to New York, I am not familiar with the areas. I want to book something within walking distance or short cab ride to the terminal. What other areas can I consider when booking the hotel. Priceline Express has a good deal in Midtown East, how far is that from the terminal? Thanks.

Most of Manhattan is only a short taxi ride from the cruise terminal.

I'd suggest you post this question on the East Coast Departures board, and also include the exact dates you need a hotel room, how many people are in your party, whether you're interested in sightseeing in NY and your budget. That way you'll get suggestions that will suit your needs.

Congrats to you!

Too many people book something by the airport and miss out on the chance to see a little of NYC.

You can almost walk from Times Square to the ship. Actually, we did that on a B2B.

The last advice is good, as well as some big travel sites.

We stayed in midtown east while in NYC, it took me less than 10 mins to get to the pier on a Sunday morning. I'm sure the cabs would be faster ;). We loved the area, easy access to many sights and we even took the subway to see the Statue of Liberty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am trying to book my pre-cruise hotel in Manhattan. I'll be sailing on the Breakaway in May out of Pier 88. I believe the cruise terminal is in the Upper West Side. I've never been to New York, I am not familiar with the areas. I want to book something within walking distance or short cab ride to the terminal. What other areas can I consider when booking the hotel. Priceline Express has a good deal in Midtown East, how far is that from the terminal? Thanks.

Pier 88 is located at 711 12th Ave which is between 55th and 48th streets and the West Side Highway.

Ink 48 hotel is the closest hotel with views of the pier.

http://www.nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal will give you lots of info. Hope this helps.

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Edited by meatball_nyc

The Omni Berkshire hotel at 52nd and Madison is very nice and a great location near Rockefeller Center And St. Patrick's Cathedral. You could very easily take a cab from the hotel

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Agree with the above post, cabs are plentiful and inexpensive to the pier. There are huge price fluctuations on hotels/dates/neighbourhoods that will more than offset a couple of extra $ on a cab.Midtown East or West are very central, walking distance to so many great things that Manhattan offers. One of our favourite hotels is Affinia Gardens which is near Bloomingdales, 6 subway line and an easy walk to 5th Ave and lots of local eateries. Last year for our Gem cruise we drove and stayed in NJ at a Marriott that offered free parking. We were quite use to using transit so it was a very good choice for us; easy to get in and sightsee and to get to the port. In fact it was probably quicker than some Manhattan locations for getting around. Its great to sail out of NYC and down the Hudson River.

Edited by jam&tea mom

I just went through this same exercise to find a hotel for my cruise...based on the Priceline maps, I think the districts closest to the terminal are Midtown West, Madison Square Garden and Hell's Kitchen. But I found the best deal in Midtown East, and it's only about a $10 cab ride to the pier. Not walking distance but it turned out to be a great deal in a nice location. I'd say you can search across the sort of Midtown NYC stretch, including Times Square, Central Park South, Empire State Building and Chelsea, and be relatively close. Check out the site Better Bidding, it was huuuuge help to me in navigating the Priceline options.

Public transportation is SO good in the NYC area! We actually stayed at the Country Inn & Suites in Long Island City for half what you'd pay anywhere in Manhattan. VERY easy bus ride to the pier, and this while DH was nursing a very arthritic hip. We took train into the city for sightseeing...

I always use the Travel Inn on 42nd street near the port.

It is a good 3,5 star and if safety is a concern for you, there is a police station right in front of the hotel.

A few blocks away from Times Square by foot. The hotel is always clean and includes parking ( I think the only one in NYC ) good for me since I drive from Montreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Let me nominate the Yotel at 42nd and 10th. With a wheelie bag it is walkable to the pier or a very short cab ride. If you book be sure to call to get the AAA discount. Not available online. Also continue to check price. Found 2 price decreases for our stay last week!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by Debbie1029

Let me nominate the Yotel at 42nd and 10th.

It is a fun hotel... And it would definitely get them ready for the size of cruise ship cabins!

Also, be sure you are very comfortable with your travel mates. Those bathrooms are quite "open"!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

We are thinking about Ink 48 hotel for our cruise. Very close to the ship.

We have now booked Ink 48. We pay around $1000 for four nights and I think that's an okay price for the location. We can cancel the reservation for free if we find something better but I will not look for something else. (I will only look for a better price for the same hotel.)

We stayed at "The Hotel at Times Square" which was a short two block walk to Times Square. We used a car service instead of a cab to get to the pier.

The hotel was clean, quiet and reasonably priced. It also included a continental breakfast the next morning. We'd stay there again if sailing out of New York.

Edited by azappraiser