Question on how much to cover

mollyanne

Yes to both if just getting basic insurance.

However, if you are adding a Cancel For Any Reason rider or are getting insurance that waives any pre existing conditions,,,,,, then many policies require you to cover all expenses associated with the trip that are non refundable

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still pondering the same question. Are taxes and port charges refunded by the cruise line if you don't sail. What about prepaid gratuities? I'm not clear by the response that they will be refunded because I need to know by whom, the insurance company or the cruise line. In other words, can I leave them out of the amount I need to insure?

I am trying to figure out what to include, too.

For Example, I have a Excursion booked that the the total cost is $200.00 If I cancel, They will refund $175.00, do I insure the entire amount of $200.00 or just the amount of the $25 cancellation fee?

• 1 month later...
I'm still pondering the same question. Are taxes and port charges refunded by the cruise line if you don't sail. What about prepaid gratuities? I'm not clear by the response that they will be refunded because I need to know by whom, the insurance company or the cruise line. In other words, can I leave them out of the amount I need to insure?

I've spend two days researching the same question. So far, no firm answer. Just a lot of "I think." I want to be sure any trip insurance I buy will not be void because I did't cover the entire amount.

Cover just the amounts that are both pre-paid AND non-refundable. Taxes are prepaid at final payment, but are refundable by the cruiseline, so don't need to be included. In the excursion example above, you only need to cover the $25 non-refundable portion.

Most insurance policies change costs at $500 increments, so you don't have to have the exact breakdown of the taxes unless you are bumping up against one of those increments. And as noted in post#2, the amount of coverage purchased does nothave to be the full amount unless you are covering PECs or Any Reason cancellation. Otherwise, you can choose the amount of coverage you are comfortable with.

As a side-note, some carriers, such as TravelGuard require that you insure every non-refundable penny to receive the pre-ex waiver. Failure to do so (as in, even being shy by a few bucks) will lead to anything from extra hassle and arguing with the adjuster all way up to total denial of your claim. If you are between "premium tiers" you might as well insure it all they way up to the max amount for that tier.

I've spend two days researching the same question. So far, no firm answer. Just a lot of "I think." I want to be sure any trip insurance I buy will not be void because I did't cover the entire amount.
The easiest way is to cover the higher amount in bracket increments. Or bump your coverage into the next higher bracket if you are close. You will pay a little more for it, but you won't have too little coverage. For example, if your total prepaid non-refundable costs per person seem to be adding up to $2193.48 per person, the cost to cover that amount is the same as covering $2500 per person. So put $2500 as your policy amount. If you do have to cancel, you will only get back the 2193 (or whatever amount you can prove you spent) up to the $2500 policy limit. But that gives you some wiggle room (~$300) in case you end up with a prepaid, non-refundable cost that you forgot to include in the initial total.

This is actually a pretty simple calculation if you work it in bracket increments.