HAL Rotterdam or Costa Romantica

I_r_a

Hi All,

My Lady Wife and I have a serious delimma.

For August 2015 there are cruises visiting the Baltic (Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, St Petersburg...) with nearly identical itineraries and at almost the same price (+/- $200).

I have reserved an aft-facing cabin (7074) on the Rotterdam.

I shall have my choice of cabins on the NeoRomantica:

6077 – 6088, 7105 – 7110, 1007 – 1015, 1220 – 1223.

Am I correct that the 6000 series cabins on the nR are the same as the others in layout, furnishing, etc?

We are fairly active seniors (median age 75) who like good food and drink; prefer anytime dining, but can go along with fixed seating; enjoy a show; speak English very well - not so good with other languages; not particularly competitive. (Well, at least if I take my meds every day.)

It will be a major b'day for my LW.

Which ship would you recommend we take?

I'll be happy to give further information about our likes/dislikes if needed.

Thank you for your help.

Ira

I'll be posting this on the Costa board as well.

When we had nearly the identical price between Costa and HAL we chose HAL.

Our idea's where:

* Better food on HAL

* Quieter and smaller ship on HAL

* Better times at the ports (check this, even with nearly identical itineraries)

* Less announcements on HAL

HAL doesn't shine in the show area, so you might not like them that much. Costa has bigger flashier shows.

So, I'd recommend HAL unless you are really show people.

We have sailed on both lines (we actually were on the Concordia--before she sank) and agree that if all things were equal we choose the smaller ships of HAL.

For us the itinerary is the deciding point now.

BTW you may have people say that you are crazy to consider Costa, but we enjoyed it, loved the European feel while we were in Europe---it was nice to get away from the American bubble.

Never having sailed on the Costa ships, I can only give you advice on Holland America's. We've sailed on the Rotterdam 3 times and look forward to future cruises on the her. We did the Baltic itinerary 2 years ago in an aft-facing balcony and enjoyed it immensely. I don't think you can go wrong with Holland America's ships - they provide everything you're looking for with style and grace.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

BTW you may have people say that you are crazy to consider Costa, but we enjoyed it,

Pencil me in that crowd. Three HAL cruises, two Costa... Costa ships are bigger, louder, more brash, and the foods not nearly as good. PLUS, the two times we had "issues" on board the Costa ships, the front desk/shore excursion desk was not only not helpful, but down right rude. (The two problems on HAL were both handled very low key and well.) Amazing they are the same company....

PS: Early 60's and with 25 cruises under our belt.

Edited by FredT