Should I stay or should I go

spintowin

Can't decide if I should save my money or take my chances with the Century here on the west coast. Prices have dropped, no airfare, and a chance to try Celebrity are all the pros. Unfortunately, the reviews have not been good on this sailing and don't like cold weather cruises. Therefore, not sure if I'm passing up a great deal or not. Any thoughts?

only you know the answer to your question-

no cruise is going to be perfect but it's a cruise so I'd be happy no matter what -

read in between the lines on negative reviews- are they picky things or bad things that will make you not sleep ?

my biggest concern is your comment that you don't like cold weather cruising as this alone could be THE reason you don't do it

Very interesting question, because we find ourselves in a similar position after reading recent reviews and feedback. We agree that only you know the answer, but here is our thought: If you know what you are getting into weather-wise and you also get a killer deal ($), you should not go into it with very high expectations. Therefore, you are likely to feel as though it was worth it in the end (your expectations will likely be met).

We had high expectations on a recent Celebrity outing, and really felt let down. This was in part because it simply did not live up to the same standards as our previous experience (and some aspects of our cruise were completely unacceptable). Prior to that outing, we booked a second sailing with Celebrity for later this year. Now we are asking our selves the same question: Should we stay, or should we go?

In our case, the price is the same as with many other options available. What we are trying to determine is whether our recent experience and all the negative reviews and feedback recently are reflective of what we should expect later this year from Celebrity. We accept change fine, after all costs do go up and if the passenger fares are not rising, something has to give. However, how proportionate is the give to what we can find elsewhere? That is our minor dilemma. Decisions, decisions.........

Everyone is different. I could not see myself going on a cold weather cruise. I would not like it so I don't go. Some people don't mind and just want to cruise. Some people will go and complain the whole time. Only you can determine that.

Can't decide if I should save my money or take my chances with the Century here on the west coast. Prices have dropped, no airfare, and a chance to try Celebrity are all the pros. Unfortunately, the reviews have not been good on this sailing and don't like cold weather cruises. Therefore, not sure if I'm passing up a great deal or not. Any thoughts?

We have done 2 west coast cruises out of LA. Last year it was on Celebrity Solstice. We had a great time. For us being from Seattle the weather was great. I have not cruised on Century, but I have cruised many times on Celebrity Mercury until she was sold to the Tui Group. I just saw the old Mercury down in the Caribbean in St Thomas and again while I was in Madeira earlier this month. She looked great. Century is a smaller nice ship. She will not have all the bells and whistle like the new Celebrity ships. Richard

Many posters love Century, but it isn't reflective of the rest of Celebrity's fleet and it is on its way to a sister line -- so this may not be the ideal "chance to try Celebrity." If you like it, great; but if you don't like this cruise you still won't know whether you would like X's M- and S-class ships.

I had to make that same decision and decided to go for it. I was on the Silhouette in January and will be on the Equinox in November, so this is just a last minute inexpensive cruise we added at the last minute.

I've read mixed reviews on the Century, so I know it's not going to be the same as the "S" or "M" class ships, but I've been on several of the short Carnival cruises out of here and had a great time. I'm pretty easy to please, as long as I don't have to cook or clean I'm good and can always seem to find way too much to eat.

I'm originally from Northern California and now live in Southern California, so have been to all the ports, but I never get tired of Catalina, San Francisco, Seattle. I haven't been to Victoria since I was young, so I'm looking forward to it and even got my dh to agree to do the Empress Tea. We've had some gorgeous weather so far, but no guarantees so I'll pack my jacket and be ready for anything.

Just my thoughts, you need to make your own decision and if you do go I hope you have a wonderful cruise! I'm going into mine knowing I will.

I was one of the people who had quite a number of disappointments on the April 5 Century Coastal. But I had to pay full price for the cruise.

The Century Coastal sailings, for the most part, are now heavily discounted, some as low as $400 plus tax, so I probably would have lower expectations than I did paying full fare. Not sure of the reasons for the ultra low fares, but it could be related to recent less than glowing reports on the ship or it could be the itinerary.

It's a bargain....take some warmer clothes just in case and go for it.

I booked the Century about a year ago for the Round Trip Golden Gate Alaska cruise for Sept 4, 2014. Why, Century was the first ship that I ever sailed on and have very fond memories of this ship. She was a year old. That cruise hooked me on crusing.

I have since been on the RCCL's Voyage of the Seas, Celebrity's Mecury & Millenium and Carnival's Spirit. All different but still somewhat similar...to me Celebritry ships are prettier not so "gaudy" and/or flashy. JMHO.

I have been reading those posts of the how poor and rundown Century is as well as others that say she is still a grand old ship. I have looked at current youtube videos, pictures, etc. In all that I have looked at, there has only been some wear and tear. For Pete's sake....ships travel out on the SEA (salt water) in all the elements besides the fact of having non stop people (depending on size of ship anywhere from 1800 to 3000 people) changing from week to week....what do you expect. But the most curious of all, is how there can been reviews or posts from the exact same cruise and someone will say it's dirty, rundown and they are never cleaning and the next person will said yes it is older but they are cleaning constantly and the staff is wonderful.....which is it? I guess the saying is true, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

We will be in a sky suite for the first time, a splurge (plus a great price) and I will be with the love of my life on cruise to Alaska with all the beautiful sites to see. I don't have to work, cook, clean for 12 days woohoo! I will have a splendid time as I have on all my cruises because as someone else posted on another thread, you make your own happiness.

Only 139 days, 21 hours, 55 minutes to go!!!!!! :D

Happy crusing!

Debbie

The reason I am going to go back on the Century is she is a smaller ship, less people. She has beautiful wood and brass...beautiful artwork... and I hope I have the same feeling about her as the first time. No she doesn't have rock climbing walls, ice skating rinks, multiple specialty restaurants, etc. but she has charm and beauty. The crew was fantastic but has been on all the Celebrity ships and crew changes regularly.

Not sure how you define cold weather cruises. Alaska? I've been to Alaska in May and wished I had more short sleeved shirts with me.

I was on the Century in February. Was everything perfect? No. Were the problems reported to management taken care of promptly? Yes. Had great two cruises.

However, Century is not typical of other Celebrity ships.

For me--prices down, no airfare--I'm there!

We had high expectations on a recent Celebrity outing, and really felt let down. This was in part because it simply did not live up to the same standards as our previous experience (and some aspects of our cruise were completely unacceptable).

May I ask which aspects disappointed and which were "completely unacceptable?"