Specialty Restaurants

zaranz

It is our first time on Princess. On other cruise lines you an pre book Specialty Restaurants. Is this the case with Ruby Princess

No, you must wait until you're onboard.. When you embark simply call the Dine Line from your stateroom phone.. You can also go to the restaurant itself but I find it easier to just call, especially if you're making reservations at both restaurants..

Edited by Kenswing

It is our first time on Princess. On other cruise lines you an pre book Specialty Restaurants. Is this the case with Ruby Princess
No, you don't pre-book but it's not an issue or problem. The food and menu options in the dining room, not to mention the flexibility to modify dishes or pre-order what you want, is pretty darned good so the vast majority of passengers never go to a specialty restaurant.

When you board, you'll be able to go directly to your cabin (all Princess cabins are ready at boarding) and start your cruise. Just call the DINE line to make your reservation(s) or stop by Sabatini's where you can book for either specialty restaurant. Formal nights are the most popular.

Edited by Pam in CA

No pre booking, I sure hope they don't either. ;)
I've heard that on some lines, a specialty restaurant is the only way to get a decent meal so people rush to book. That's not the case on Princess and on non-formal nights, they are often half-empty. I've seen them have someone stand outside the restaurant to get people to eat there and there are often "ads" for the specialty restaurants in the Patter. Edited by Pam in CA

Last summer Princess announced to travel agents that, within a month, it would be possible to make specialty restaurant reservations in advance online. But that's never happened. I guess someone at Princess changed their mind :D

On our last cruise, on the Royal Princess, we made reservations at the Crown Grill as soon as we boarded. The rest of the week we heard complaints from many that they were unable to get a reservation on any day at any time in either Sabatinis or the Crown Grill, and while sitting in the adjacent bar we witnessed many people showing up at the desk in the Crown Grill trying, in vain, to get a table or reservation.

This was holiday/New Years cruise, so perhaps that made a difference.

I've heard that on some lines, a specialty restaurant is the only way to get a decent meal so people rush to book. That's not the case on Princess and on non-formal nights, they are often half-empty. I've seen them have someone stand outside the restaurant to get people to eat there and there are often "ads" for the specialty restaurants in the Patter.

Last summer Princess announced to travel agents that, within a month, it would be possible to make specialty restaurant reservations in advance online. But that's never happened. I guess someone at Princess changed their mind :D

On our last cruise, on the Royal Princess, we made reservations at the Crown Grill as soon as we boarded. The rest of the week we heard complaints from many that they were unable to get a reservation on any day at any time in either Sabatinis or the Crown Grill, and while sitting in the adjacent bar we witnessed many people showing up at the desk in the Crown Grill trying, in vain, to get a table or reservation.

Our last three cruises were two-week holiday cruises (both Christmas and New Years) and the headwaiter will often go from table to table offering to make reservations for the specialty restaurants. So maybe it depends on the passengers on board any specific sailing -- some may be celebrating special occasions and want to eat at the specialty restaurants and on other sailings, it's easy to get in as long as your not picky about night and time (as Pam says, maybe formal nights get booked up by those who don't want to do a formal dinner in the MDR).

On our last cruise, we had been given a complimentary dinner in Sabatinis and the head waiter, when he told us this, said we can get in the next night. There were only two other tables being used when we ate there.

To us, the MDR meals are nice enough (we're not foodies -- we even enjoy something as simple as the grilled chicken burger at the poolside grill).

We had the same problem on the Royal on the first Caribbean cruise. But we had met Alfredo who is the head chef of the whole Princess fleet. So when we saw him at Princess Cays, we asked if there was a chance of getting into the Crown grill. There were 6 of us. Alfredo came through for us and I will never forget his generosity and charm.

[quote name=SeaCBear;42483274

On our last cruise' date=' on the Royal Princess, we made reservations at the Crown Grill as soon as we boarded. The rest of the week we heard complaints from many that they were unable to get a reservation on any day at any time in either Sabatinis or the Crown Grill, and while sitting in the adjacent bar we witnessed many people showing up at the desk in the Crown Grill trying, in vain, to get a table or reservation.

We experienced the same thing you wrote about when we were on the Royal in early November. We had made our reservations as soon as we boarded so no problem for us but there were many, many passengers who could not get in.