Lanai on Maasdam

cruisencrazy

We had cabin 334 in 2012., for the Voyage of Vikings The positive...easy access to the deck, 2 reserved deck chairs. It certainly was perfect for that special cruise. Would we get one again, probably not.

The negative....cabin is a bit smaller, desk is smaller with less drawers. Also when the decks are washed which some time starts as early as 4 am they are noisy.

This is just my opinion and I know that other people love them.

ABSOLUTELY and would book another one in a heart beat. Loved it and its easy accessibility to the Promenade. Yes - there are drawbacks - but there are those in every cabin on any ship. It is all how you make it.

What ever you do - have a great cruise.

Okie

We had cabin 334 in 2012., for the Voyage of Vikings The positive...easy access to the deck, 2 reserved deck chairs. It certainly was perfect for that special cruise. Would we get one again, probably not.

The negative....cabin is a bit smaller, desk is smaller with less drawers. Also when the decks are washed which some time starts as early as 4 am they are noisy.

Great information.

Thanks for the info, especially about washing the decks.

Booked a guarantee and today found out we were given a lanai cabin on lower promenade deck. Has anyone has one of these and how did you like it?

I would NEVER book a lanai stateroom on any HAL ship, (where you 'may' have to 'negotiate' for the use of your two ?reserved loungers) as well as the (possible) prevalence of 'smoking' issues, as those (smoking) occupants of the lanai staterooms would consider the Wraparound/Promenade Dcek outside their staterooms as their balcony/verandah, where, of course, unfortunately, HAL still allows smoking! :mad:

When I was on the Maasdam, I saw a Lanai that was HC. It was really big! I couldn't believe the size. If you happen to get one of those, you will be very impressed. The regular lanai cabins are smaller of course, but this one was impressive.

I will get the pics on HALfacts shortly once I get up to date.

We loved our lanai on the Maasdam. Easy access to the Promenade Deck. A couple time people used our chairs but our room steward chased them away...it was quite comical to watch.

It is true there's less space in the desk area (no drawers) but we managed OK.

Only drawback was that for the first 5 days, the door wouldn't open from the outside. They finally had us move to another lanai cabin.

FYI...we were on the port side and noticed no one smoking.

I submitted photos to http://www.halfacts.com so you can see them there if you wish.

Thanks so much for all of your posts. We have 339. Last time we sailed on Hal we had a huge corner suite, but this is a last minute trip for us that we squeezed into our schedule, so we would be happy with most anything. Hope we get a door that functions properly, because we love to walk. Happy cruising everyone :)

I would NEVER book a lanai stateroom on any HAL ship, (where you 'may' have to 'negotiate' for the use of your two ?reserved loungers) as well as the (possible) prevalence of 'smoking' issues, as those (smoking) occupants of the lanai staterooms would consider the Wraparound/Promenade Dcek outside their staterooms as their balcony/verandah, where, of course, unfortunately, HAL still allows smoking! :mad:

I cannot speak for the entire fleet, but on Noordam earlier this year, the Promenade deck was clearly posted as a no smoking area. Your concern may well have been taken care of.

Thanks so much for all of your posts. We have 339. Last time we sailed on Hal we had a huge corner suite, but this is a last minute trip for us that we squeezed into our schedule, so we would be happy with most anything. Hope we get a door that functions properly, because we love to walk. Happy cruising everyone :)

Just off the Maasdam 70 days...we had a cabin on the promenade deck ... not a lanai .... there was no smoking allowed on that deck so that should not be a problem for you. The lounges are all marked with the cabin #'s and lots of others for those not in lanai cabins. Friends in a lanai cabin did not have a problem with others using the lounges. Enjoy your cruise ... go in with a positive attitude. :)

I noticed that the cushions on the loungers for the lanai cabins are a different colour - with this and a very prominent "reserved" sign there should not be any problems outside. Have a wonderful cruise and be sure to come back and tell us if you liked your cabin.

I noticed that the cushions on the loungers for the lanai cabins are a different colour - with this and a very prominent "reserved" sign there should not be any problems outside. Have a wonderful cruise and be sure to come back and tell us if you liked your cabin.

You would think so! But we had people use ours on a couple occasions. :rolleyes:

Our first cruise in 2006 was on the Maasdam out of Baltimore........the last one from that port as it turned out. We loved the Maasdam and went on 2 more cruises with her in later years. We were in one of the Deck 5 Lower Promenade cabins right next to a door that kept slamming in the wind as people went out and didn't hold it.............this is one of the cabins that was not Lanai----icized...........if that is acceptable as a new word but you only had to go around the corner to get to the outside promenade.

One of the things we noticed on our second trip in 2007 was that the old girl was aging faster than us. I believe the ship had gone through a dry dock but that was only a cosmetic fix. In a later year 2008 (i think) we went on the Maasdam to the Southern Caribbean..................then it became clear that the problem with this grand old lady was her air handling and plumbing systems.......the thermostat is decorational and toilets may or may not work..........now 5 years later others are now noticing what we did earlier and I am sure the problems are much worse.

HAL under CCL supervision is being destroyed. First the perks, then the food, then the crew numbers/passengers, then the upkeep of the SHIP..............not the glitzy obvious stuff the neglect of the AC, plumbing, air quality etc. etc.

CCL will not stop trying to milk what was once a great company until they get to have another "poop ship" episode" on HAL.that CCL specializes at it seems

Will be selling our stock soon as we would likely never need stockholder benefits again as we would only sail on Eurodam, Noordam or Nieuw Amsterdam if any HAL ships at all.

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

I am booked in cabin 331 on Maasdam for my upcoming cruise. Not a Lanai but I love that cabin because of it's easy access to the wrap around deck. I have never had a problem with smoking or early morning noise and there are always lots of non reserved chairs to use.

I always try to get that cabin if I am on that class of ship. :)