Suggested Ground Rules for Kids in Balcony Cabins?

We leave tomorrow for our cruise on the Liberty 4/21 ... it's my first time taking most of the family, including 6 kids between the ages of 6 and 12 ... and we all have balcony cabins. For those who have cruised with small kids before, our group would appreciate some feedback on what sort of ground rules we should establish regarding balcony access.

Yes, I've cruised enough to know you have to make a serious effort to have your center of gravity high enough to go over that railing ... but, kids like to climb ...

That's pretty much my main rule. No horseplay, no leaning over the rail (more than your head to glance over). No standing on patio furniture to get a better look. And the little ones can't be outside on the balcony without a parent.

~Jacqui~ Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think the no one on the balcony without a parent is key. The balconies aren't all that large so a parent can easily see if they get too close to the edge or try to move or climb on furniture. It's not that easy to open the doors so you would surely notice if one were trying to do so.

No climbing period. Not on the balcony railing, not on the furniture. If you can't trust your kids not to climb after telling them, don't let them out on the balcony alone. If they can't be trusted, then supervise.

Our kids are 9 and 11 and we still have them stick to the rule of not being on the balcony without a parent. If they want to sit out there alone, they have to ask permission and must be within clear view of a parent who is just on the other side of the glass (watching tv, reading, etc.). They cannot stand or kneel on the furniture.

Thanks to each of you for your thoughtful suggestions. We'll be discussing this with the kids during the travel time tomorrow. I like the specific suggestions about not being allowed to use the balcony furniture to hold anything but butts ... no knees, no feet. (And I forgot about the fact they won't realize it's a big no-no to throw things off the balcony ... thank you, Clarea.) I can envision one kid "stretching" their legs and another one tattling ... and usage permissions being revoked. All unpleasant moments ... we want everyone to come away from this trip feeling it was the best week of their lives. And I firmly believe that kids will live up to your expectations if you are very firm and specific about what those expectations are.

Frankly, I expected one of those people who has a Google alert for CC posts with "kids" in the title to hop on here and lecture me about watching the kids every moment ... and the reality is that every parent has a built-in biological flaw that involves occasional trips to a little closet in the corner called a bathroom. And unless they take all three kids in there with them (is that really even possible?) there will be moments where the kids are not being watched.

But you've all been very helpful. A big, big thank you!

Edited by emeraldcity

Emerald City -- one other point. Odds are that you're not sailing in an aft cabin on Liberty, but wanted you to know that those deck enclosures are made up of rows of metal railing, rather than glass. That can be a real temptation to kids who like to climb. :eek:

You've gotten some very good advice here -- and the fact that you asked the question tells me that you are a parent who pays attention. Have a great cruise on Liberty! :cool:

Emerald City -- one other point. Odds are that you're not sailing in an aft cabin on Liberty, but wanted you to know that those deck enclosures are made up of rows of metal railing, rather than glass. That can be a real temptation to kids who like to climb. :eek:

You've gotten some very good advice here -- and the fact that you asked the question tells me that you are a parent who pays attention. Have a great cruise on Liberty! :cool:

Thank you for the additional fine point ... and you're right, we didn't book any aft cabins. Sounds like that's an additional point to consider with young kids.

And I'm the gramma on this one. Theoretically, that means I let my kids worry about their kids, but I am a professional worrier so I was assigned the posting duty. Of course, I also have the luxury of "time" today. I'm only packing for one and both my kids are packing for themselves and their kids. :)

I just got back from a business conference that included a session on the difference in generations and the point was made that the young generation needs visuals to understand what is being said to them. If you say "business casual", don't be shocked if your new employee shows up in jeans and flip-flops. Maybe I need to print off some pictures ... rock wall - caption:climbing...deck furniture - inside circle with line through it, caption:no climbing. ;)

I might add in rules about going out there a night time. Also have the adults follow the sames rules, cause children tend to think if they do it then it must be OK. Have a great cruise. Going on a cruise with children must be great. You get to see the world through their eyes, all the beauty of it.

When our boys were younger, we also had a "no joking about or threatening to throw little brothers overboard" rule. I don't know if they would have but we were trying to cover all bases.

You might want to also point out the cameras on the side of the ship and let them know the Captain keeps a close eye on the balconies.

Edited by galavant3

I think the no one on the balcony without a parent is key. The balconies aren't all that large so a parent can easily see if they get too close to the edge or try to move or climb on furniture. It's not that easy to open the doors so you would surely notice if one were trying to do so.

Agree completely. We always move the furniture back, away from the railing.

Have a great time:)

I have an additional rule for my daughter (and she is now 16). No walking on outside decks in the evening when she is with friends from the teens club. Not sure if your kids can sign out on their own.

Great rule that we also enforce. No outside decks in the evening.

My rules to my grandkids included "Do not go into any cabin other than your own." And for all people - please use inside voices when on the balcony. Many people do not realize that when they play music or carry on phone conversations - many people hear it.

Happy cruising.